Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 23, 2014, 03:11 PM
Rookie

Default Very noisy D5

Hi, one of the reasons I picked a D5 as my pump was because I heard that it is quiet. My experience hasn't been similar. I have had my loop put together for a few months, and my pump has been the noisiest part of my PC by far. I've recently been trying to find a way to make it quieter but I can't seem to make any progress. My pump is audible from about 15 meters away. There isn't any air in my loop. Can I get a resistor to connect to the Molex cable to step it down from 12v to 7 or 9? Or are there any other ways to slow it down?

I'm a bit upset because of it. A lot of money spent to have a quiet computer, and well... it's anything but quiet lol .

I would appreciate any help that you could give.
Old April 23, 2014, 03:17 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I'm assuming you didn't get the variable speed model? Yes, you can try running it off 7 volts, by changing the black and red wires around on the Molex connector you are attached to. See pinout here: Molex connector - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old April 23, 2014, 03:25 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
I'm assuming you didn't get the variable speed model? Yes, you can try running it off 7 volts, by changing the black and red wires around on the Molex connector you are attached to. See pinout here: Molex connector - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Yes. unfortunately, I didn't get the vario model. I heard that switching the cables around like that can damage your power supply, Is this a reasonable thing to be afraid of? And does it matter which black wire I change with the red one?
Old April 23, 2014, 03:47 PM

My System Specs

If you can hear the pump from 45 feet something is seriously wrong. Even on a non Vario model. Is the pump decoupled? Are you using an aftermarket top? If so open it up and verify that nothing is hitting the impeller. It may be a good idea to see this anyway. Look at the ceramic bearing to see if it is damaged while you have it open.
Old April 23, 2014, 03:51 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
If you can hear the pump from 45 feet something is seriously wrong. Even on a non Vario model. Is the pump decoupled? Are you using an aftermarket top? If so open it up and verify that nothing is hitting the impeller. It may be a good idea to see this anyway. Look at the ceramic bearing to see if it is damaged while you have it open.
The pump is not decoupled but it is in a bay reservoir. I think this is part of the problem. Next time I refill my loop I will take the pump apart and take a look at it.
Old April 23, 2014, 04:56 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcdoorknob View Post
The pump is not decoupled but it is in a bay reservoir. I think this is part of the problem. Next time I refill my loop I will take the pump apart and take a look at it.
first note when pulling rotor/impeller it's magnetized to pump body so when replacing rotor back on

have a very strong grip to rotor so that it don't be sucked out of your hand like lighting and slam on to the ceramic ball damaging it

other is the 0-ring may be too thin or torqued down extreme , use some Play-Doh Plus or non-sticking putty to place inside pump inlet face about 3/8" high blob assemble and re open an check thickness of putty
Old April 23, 2014, 05:15 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

mines nearly silent and I have the d5 strong. If the air has been removed from the loop there may be something stuck in the impellor. Assuming you've bled all the air from the loop.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old April 23, 2014, 05:45 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I've found that the only way to keep my bay res loop properly free from air is to ensure the res is filled right to the very top and actually work the residual air bubble(s) from the res itself out even though you wouldn't think it's going through the loop.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old April 23, 2014, 06:07 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

agreed sswilson
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old April 23, 2014, 06:40 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I also think that people overestimate how much you have to torque an o ring seal to maintain water tightness. I have worked on 40,000 - 80,000 PSI pumps that are o ring sealed and you don't need to gorilla grip tighten them. Just a firm 1/4 to 1/2 turn from hand tight. Easy does it is the ticket.

Tags
d5 pump , laing , loud , noisy , pump