Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 31, 2014, 07:15 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Default Cooler Master Nepton 280L Review Comment Thread

Cooler Master's Nepton 280L is their broadside into the dual 140mm All in One CPU cooler segment. Against the likes of Corsair and NZXT, the Nepton does surprisingly well.

Read more here: Cooler Master Nepton 280L CPU Cooler Review
Old March 31, 2014, 08:48 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Cooler Masterís finishing process seems to have slipped a notch though. Not only does the copper surface lack fine-grain polishing, the base actually felt rough to the touch and had numerous machining marks visible to the naked eye.
I wouldn't knock them for that. It's not about aesthetics, it's about cooling performance. A rougher finish on the plate actually increases the surface area for more cooling potential. I'd say .

Great review! I was expecting not to see anyone top the X60. Well done CM, well done!
Old March 31, 2014, 11:03 PM
MVP

My System Specs

well, with the lack of great 140mm SP fans, the option to put 120mm's on this rad seems like a genius option.
but I would be concerned with how many chassis will fit with this alternative, despite the additional mount bracket.

thanks for the review AKG!
Old March 31, 2014, 11:14 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRQ Conflict View Post
I wouldn't knock them for that. It's not about aesthetics, it's about cooling performance. A rougher finish on the plate actually increases the surface area for more cooling potential. I'd say .

Great review! I was expecting not to see anyone top the X60. Well done CM, well done!
That is very very wrong. A smoother and better finish allows for more direct contact with the cpu heatsink and lower temperatures. Look up "CPU cooler lapping."
Old March 31, 2014, 11:43 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Your confusing smoother and better with flatness. It is better to have a flat rougher finish than a flat smooth (mirrored) finish simply for increased surface area.

If your trying to cool without TIM you would be right.

Edit: I would be willing to bet that the temp decrease people are seeing in temps due to lapping (if IHS flatness was already acceptable) is that you are simply removing more of the metal between the chip and the heatsink.

I think it's (mirrored finish) a placebo myself.

Last edited by IRQ Conflict; April 1, 2014 at 12:02 AM.
Old April 1, 2014, 04:40 AM

Surprised no one picked up on Cooler Master's riff on our classic Robertson screw head on page 2. ;)

As for the 120mm fan mounts, it really doesn't make one lick of difference since when 120mm fans are installed, the Nepton isn't compatible with any case on the market. At least not without significant modifications.
Old April 1, 2014, 05:11 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Ya mean the triangle screws? (Tri-Wing). Those have been in service for a long time on things like consoles and hard drives. Anywhere a manufacturer has wanted to curb teens from messing around with the innards of something with common (dads toolbox) tools.

I remember watching an episode of Holmes on Homes once, when he and his crew hit the south, Norleens in 'merica to help rebuild some homes down there. The Americans that helped in the project were floored by these new screws. Robertson's, I think there called. Haha. Yeah, almost curse the maker of the Philips screw on a weekly basis.

Edit: Almost forgot, Torx screws are common for that type of thing as well. I remember back in the day having to buy one Torx driver to remove the instrument cluster from my '82 Z28. Damn thing cost me 20 pelts! What a racket.
Old April 1, 2014, 05:19 AM

I typically see spline drive or double-square on these things. However, I'm reasonably sure Cooler Master didn't use tri-wing. From my memory, the "wing" in tri wing comes from slim projections past each edge of the triangle shape; something those screws don't have. A tri wing screwdriver actually has a beveled head much like Philips which wouldn't be compatible with those heads. I may be wrong though.
Old April 1, 2014, 06:58 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Ah! I'm not up on my specialty screws either. Barring the ones we get from the gov't.

Edit: Looked it up. Tri-wing is different than the triangle we are looking at. The best I could do in a search was for triangle screw. But, this is interesting.

Last edited by IRQ Conflict; April 1, 2014 at 07:06 AM.
Old April 1, 2014, 07:13 AM

Robertson is the One Head to Rule Them All.