Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 6, 2014, 04:37 PM
Top Prospect

Lightbulb hard tubes or soft tubes

i have a your standard plastic tubes in my current system. i was thinking of migrating the build to hard plastic tubing as it doesnt look like im going to be adding anything to the build.

right now the setup is rampage 4 with a 3930k 2x 580s in sli with 2 360 rads and a dual pump res.

total ill need 10 fittings for the converion plus what ever tools ill need to build the rigid tube setup.

can i get some opinions and or cons or pros to hard tubing compared to soft tubing. i would love to hear from you guys. esp if you used both.
Old March 6, 2014, 04:58 PM
Top Prospect

lol I was just having this conversation today with a friend, he said go with soft tubing and something about soft metal tubes being the best (He got toooo nerdy for me). His idea was that hard tubes are really fragile, especially when you move the case (going to LAN parties and what not) and that hard tubes would be limited to your setup as changing to a different case will prolly require you to get other tubes (extra or less length, etc)

Than again, I'm asking around too as I'm looking to build my first loop, just sharing what I heard (Learned) today
Old March 6, 2014, 05:30 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Acrylic tubing isn't exactly fragile. It's not gonna just break like glass or something when ya goto a lan. Soft temper copper tubing would work but its really hard to get the kinks out once they are there. You can use hard temper type L copper with a bender but the bending tool is far too expensive for just doing a single mod.

If I had the choice I'd definitely be doing the acrylic tubing.

Hard tubing is certainly a one case kinda mod and you'll need to redo in a new case later assuming that ever happens. Hard tubing has the best flow rate and is the least restrictive of all setups. Not to mention how amazing it looks afterwards. Go check some of lowfats stuff in the modding section of the forum he's very very good at it.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old March 6, 2014, 06:23 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

MPctech has a few vids on hard tube that may be worth a look.
Old March 6, 2014, 06:24 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I'm not sure if I'd recommend it for a first time custom loop though... most folks have a hard enough time measuring twice and cutting once without the added complexity of having to make perfect bends / angles / lengths.

It looks pretty damn cool though if a person has the patience.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old March 6, 2014, 09:46 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I just ordered a primochill hard tube set up. 10 fittings 64.99 and I bought 3 packages of 4 hard tubes just so I can mess up and shipped was about 150 ish. so pricey. But its my hobby so worth it. and lile anything take your time it will look amazing.
Old March 6, 2014, 09:50 PM
Top Prospect

i have done a number of case mods at this point... and its not like im going to be changing cases... i got the caselabs sth10 that ran me about 900 dollars.

i was thinking of going with the monsoon acrylic tubing with the stoppers so it would have the uv curved butts that would keep the tubing in place... and the bending tools are fine... spending an extra 100$ on the tools isnt an issue.

my big problem right now is that some of the tubes in my case collapse after about 8-12 months and need to be replaced. so a more permanent solution is needed.

i was wondering if there was anything specific i needed to know... and things to consider.

also do you have mnpctech links by chance?
Old March 6, 2014, 10:17 PM
Top Prospect

state of things right now.
Old March 6, 2014, 10:19 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

mnptech
Old March 6, 2014, 10:46 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

On my phone but search themodzoo rigid acrylic on youtube and you will find it