Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 30, 2014, 09:47 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjcsoln View Post
Radish,

Can you clarify a bit more on how the higher stress may increase micro-vibrations? I am curious about that - right nothing changes in my loop as the temp goes up (i.e. the fans always stay at 100%, and I have also left the pump power static) so I am not sure where they would come from? Or is it just one of the byproducts of the increased amount of power output (some being lost in the form of heat, some being lost in the form of micro-vibrations?).

I do know that I let all of the bends air cool (so I don't think that would be a source for the increased brittleness) but your comment about not enough heat might be on the mark. Watching the Primochill video, they show slowly testing the flexibility as the tube heats up, perhaps trying to force it / stress it before it is fully heated could leave a lasting artifact that could turn into a crack. I wonder if Primochill would have anything to say on this?
from waht i noticed in my system, most fans run low, but when i play games or do any kind of 3d work, they ramp up in speed. there isnt much of a noise difference, but when i place my hand on the case i feel alot of vibration. it might not be a problem for you but i have about 20 fans in my case. so its something i always have to consider. its really hard to say the cause of the cracks in your situation... i dont know your rig as well as you do. but thats my two cents.

clshades, i wasnt going to paint the tubes unless they turned yellow... hopefully thats some while away so i wont have to worry about it for the time being. :)
Old April 1, 2014, 06:48 PM
Top Prospect

Default progress

wanted to add a pic on the progress.

got the rads. if anyone is interested in buying my old ek or xspc send me a pm. ill post a bst sometime this weekend.
Attached Images

Old April 9, 2014, 02:31 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

A small update here - finally managed to get the PETG tubing (actually got a double order by accident - McMaster said they wouldn't deliver to my US border address because they knew it was going to Canada, and then it turned out they went ahead and shipped it anyway). So I ended up with 96' (comes in 6' lengths stock) and I used about 24' (probably a third of that was scrap/rework).

Overall impression with PETG (over the Primochill acrylic, which is really just acrylic):
- workability is about the same - the PETG heats up a little quicker, but takes longer to cool into position
- both materials were able to be bent to some pretty tight turns (I will add some pictures when I update my build log)
- clarity is about the same - according to the specs PETG is 86% transparent vs acrylic 93% -looking at my system know I cant tell

What will be interesting is the stress test. Talking to my dad (who is an engineer), I got a pretty extensive overview into thermal dynamics and expansion, especially when it comes to liquids. So, as an example, my first rigid tube build (using standard acrylic) contained about 2 liters of fluid, was a closed loop, and had about 1 foot of flexible hose. When I was stressing out my system, the coolant went from 27c up to about 43c. This increase in temperature will cause the fluid to expand and there was very little space in my closed loop to accommodate this. There was a bit of air (which can compress) in my top rad, and the soft tubing will expand a little, but overall there was not a lot. Now what I didn't do was calculate the thermo-dynamic-expansion rate (or something like that) to figure out how much volume 2 liters of fluid would take up after the temperature has increased 16c.

Without going into too more, there is the potential for all of this extra pressure to excerpt itself on the tubing (which will have also warmed up a bit) to either form new cracks or take advantage of existing micro cracks (as a byproduct of all of the bending/heating/stressing).

So now, I have replaced the tubing with PETG. I have also added 2 more rads to help with the cooling as it looks like my 3x120 wasn't enough. Time to test this using the same baseline (BF4 with maxed out graphic settings) and first watch to see if the extra rads help keep the fluid cooler, as well as I left some extra air space in my rad (along with a bleeder valve) so I can see what happens here.

And then, it will be up to figuring out what to do with 72' of PETG tubing :p
Old April 9, 2014, 03:30 PM
Hall Of Fame

best make a COPPER Bladder/pistion Accumulators for to smooth out shock / expansion issues within loop or use copper bellows
Old April 9, 2014, 05:53 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Well, apparently after doing the math, and using glycern (?) as the base fluid (it had the highest expansion rate) we managed to calculate that a 15c change in temp on 2 litres of fluid will cause it to expand by 15ml... So apparently not a whole lot, and now that I have left some space in one of my res the expanding fluid can compress the air and take some of the pressure off.

Second round of testing - rad fluid maxed out around 38.5, CPU floated around 62. Tubes are holding.
Old April 9, 2014, 10:02 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

https://www.dazmode.com/store/product/pressure_valve/

it's basically a vent for thermal expansion. Generally in a larger heating system we would use what's called an expansion tank which has a diaphragm blatter inside to accommodate pressure changes.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old April 9, 2014, 11:18 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Yep - got one of those added as well. And its also a lot easier to add one of these when you realize that your res was actually installed upside down the first time around, so now, after righting that error, there are 3 inlet ports on the top of the res. What a dumbass (wait, that was me).
Old April 11, 2014, 01:29 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by radish View Post
wanted to add a pic on the progress.

got the rads. if anyone is interested in buying my old ek or xspc send me a pm. ill post a bst sometime this weekend.
Nice looking rads!
Old April 11, 2014, 11:41 PM
Top Prospect

bjcsoln i did some pressure tests with my rig and one of the ek fittings i had start to leak so i threw it out. i replaced the lot with BP fittings and everything looks sleek. but yea go figure! i hope everything works out on your end.
cptcrunch, clshades, thanks for weighing in.
cdnghost thanks man.

i did manage to finish bending the tubing. all freehand. with a bit of help from a box of cardboard and my trusty olfa
Attached Images

Old April 21, 2014, 09:09 PM
Top Prospect

so after a few more days of testing i noticed one of the 90 degree adapters i had was leaking, so i ordered some new bitspower ones this time. got them in the mail and installed em. did a leak test and everything seems to be holding very well. just need to dust and clean everything up. here are updated pics of the final final tubing work. still a bit too dusty might need to do something about that, but any thoughts would be cool.
Attached Images

Last edited by radish; April 21, 2014 at 09:15 PM.