Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 26, 2014, 11:40 AM
Top Prospect

did some freehand bending and these tubes are super easy to bend, ill have to order more eventually. highly recommend.

ill start putting it into the system soon.

Name:  IMG_20140325_204352.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  61.4 KB

no scratches or imperfections of any type.

Last edited by radish; March 26, 2014 at 11:50 AM.
Old March 28, 2014, 10:02 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

After spending about a week trying to find a source for the PETG tubing (that would ship to Canada) I ended up ordering 48' (it comes in 6' lengths) from Excel Plastics. McMaster didn't want to send (I suspect) such a small order to me in Canada and have to deal with the paperwork. And then, even when I set up a US address for them, they still did not want to send it to me as it would be exported to Canada and for some reason they had concerns.

Oh well - I am hoping the stuff I get from Excel is exactly the same and look forward to playing around with it. I need to move some stuff in my Red Rampage Round II build (I need to move the pumps and also add in two more rads) so if this tubing works as well as that one video it should be pretty easy.

Also curious that another one of my acrylic tubes cracked - don't think it is an issue with the Primochill acrylic just something that I must've messed uo?
Old March 28, 2014, 03:34 PM
Top Prospect

you mind posting a link to Excel Plastics? it would be very good to have an alternative up here in Canada. also please post an update after you get their product and share your experience.

i am not sure about your tubes maybe you can post a photo or a more detailed description, but frankly im not surprised. acrylic is VERY brittle, thats part of the reason i decided to jump on the hard tube wagon this late. i wanted an alternative that was better then acrylic. and hopefully this petg tube is it.
Old March 29, 2014, 05:33 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Radish,

Here is the link to Excel Plastics: Petg Tubing by Excel Plastics

Note that they would not ship to Canada either so I am using one of those US address services at the border - they apparently have no problem shipping there. As for my tubes, and the cracking, you can check out my hardware log in the build section - it's called Red Rampage II. What's interesting is that the cracks started to happen after (my speculation) my system started heating up (when I stress test it). When I am not running anything heavy, my rad out temperature is around 27c and nothing was leaking.

However, once I fired up BF4 for the first time, the coolant temperature on the output of the rad went up to 42c (couldn't get a rad in temperature - something wrong with the sensor). Anyway I am speculating that the extra heat (and pressure) were the causes of the cracks, and that's when it starts leaking. It's interesting - I can see a crack that has grown on the tube run connecting the two m/b blocks - and as long as the coolant stays under 30c, it won't leak. I can play Civ5 for about 15 minutes which is enough to start raising the temp up, and then the crack starts leaking again.

Anyway, PETG tubing should show up next week and I will post some updated info on the experience. Also note that Daz is in the loop here (no pun intended) and he said he might start carrying the tubing. Guess we can wait and see.

B
Old March 29, 2014, 06:23 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjcsoln View Post
Radish,

Note that they would not ship to Canada either so I am using one of those US address services at the border - they apparently have no problem shipping there. As for my tubes, and the cracking, you can check out my hardware log in the build section - it's called Red Rampage II. What's interesting is that the cracks started to happen after (my speculation) my system started heating up (when I stress test it). When I am not running anything heavy, my rad out temperature is around 27c and nothing was leaking.

However, once I fired up BF4 for the first time, the coolant temperature on the output of the rad went up to 42c (couldn't get a rad in temperature - something wrong with the sensor). Anyway I am speculating that the extra heat (and pressure) were the causes of the cracks, and that's when it starts leaking. It's interesting - I can see a crack that has grown on the tube run connecting the two m/b blocks - and as long as the coolant stays under 30c, it won't leak. I can play Civ5 for about 15 minutes which is enough to start raising the temp up, and then the crack starts leaking again.

Anyway, PETG tubing should show up next week and I will post some updated info on the experience. Also note that Daz is in the loop here (no pun intended) and he said he might start carrying the tubing. Guess we can wait and see.

B
Do you ever go on overclock.net? there is a massive thread there about acrylic pipe...
My thinking is that you may not be heating the acrylic enough for your bends leading to it cracking...
My 2 cents is stick to Acrylic as most plastics stores carry the sizes needed for all the standard fittings sizes, I just bought 18ft of it for 15 bucks at my local plastics store... I know a few guys on OCN did some testing and found that the PETG tube turns yellow from uv lighting.... (sunshine etc...) just something to keep in mind if the case gets any sunlight what so ever.....
Old March 29, 2014, 06:29 PM

My System Specs

I am still not convinced PETG is the way to go for long term tubing. It is not protected against UV. I bet it will yellow over time.
Old March 29, 2014, 07:08 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
I am still not convinced PETG is the way to go for long term tubing. It is not protected against UV. I bet it will yellow over time.
QFE

Nice to see a fellow Albertan and OCN member here
Old March 29, 2014, 11:00 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjcsoln View Post
Radish,

B
Hey 1stly thanks for the link. 2nd I think as mentioned there are two factors I would consider.first is you may have cooled the acrylic too rapidly, or not heated it enough, causing the plastic to be extra brittle. Also I would check for vibration. When you stress the system the I'd assume the entire thing has a huge increase micro vibrations the may cause cracks if the plastic is brittle. But that's just an educated guess... I maybe wrong.

Also I was thinking because the tubing isn't UV treated, yellowing might be an issue but hopefully I'll replace my parts before that. Im not running any lighting in the rig its not in direct sunlight and there's no window. So I hope that will prolong the clarity of the tubing. But if it does go yellow I can always sleeve it or paint it.
Old March 30, 2014, 11:25 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I can tell you from experience that painting plastic is pretty horrible. My suggestion would be to sand all the tubing really well before using any kind of paint and I would suggest plastidip.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old March 30, 2014, 02:11 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Radish,

Can you clarify a bit more on how the higher stress may increase micro-vibrations? I am curious about that - right nothing changes in my loop as the temp goes up (i.e. the fans always stay at 100%, and I have also left the pump power static) so I am not sure where they would come from? Or is it just one of the byproducts of the increased amount of power output (some being lost in the form of heat, some being lost in the form of micro-vibrations?).

I do know that I let all of the bends air cool (so I don't think that would be a source for the increased brittleness) but your comment about not enough heat might be on the mark. Watching the Primochill video, they show slowly testing the flexibility as the tube heats up, perhaps trying to force it / stress it before it is fully heated could leave a lasting artifact that could turn into a crack. I wonder if Primochill would have anything to say on this?