Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 10, 2014, 07:25 AM
Allstar

Hey guys, heres the 3 video guides by The Mod Zoo for clear hard lining... Mod Zoo was first to discover and use PETG tubing..

Guide to Fittings for Rigid Hard line Tubing for PC Liquid Cooling by TheModZoo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2yZsIzHYdg

Guide to Supplies & Bending Rigid Acrylic Tubing for Liquid Cooling
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pcKy7arIFg

PETG Hammer Test, and Bending PETG Tubing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaxWOjGzFvQ
Old March 10, 2014, 02:16 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Hi all - thought I would also weigh in on the hard vs soft tubing. Just finished updating my rig (posted in the build log section under Red Rampage - new build log to come soon) and one of my upgrades included switching to Primochill hard tubing.

So, some general comments:
1) I did switch over to hard as part of an experiment, but also because of some of the builds I saw, the hard tubing can look amazing (over non-rigid tubing)
2) I went with the 1/2 Primochill clear acrylic with the silver diamond/knurled fittings - all from FrozenCPU.
3) I bought a pretty cheap heat gun ($45) and tiny hacksaw from Home Depot, as well as a little sanding block
4) Also bought the Primochill bending kit, which is basically a couple of heat resistant gloves, silicon tube, and some (tube cleaner?) - for $17 it was worth it.
5) And - for the best part - went to the lego store and bought a bunch of spare pieces and a base that I used for measuring and making my bends - this actually worked out really well (and will post a couple of pictures here)

As far as the bending goes - it does take awhile to get use to how to do it. As for some of the posters above, if you get to hot you get bubbles - need to be patient as heck with it as it is very fiddly. And (obviously) not flexible at all so if your bend is off by more then 1-2mm then it isn't going to flex enough to fit in. I also noticed that you have to be very careful putting bends close to where the fittings are going on - anywhere where the tube gets heated the tube does tend to cool with some distortion making it difficult sometimes to get the top piece of the fitting on. I would also recommend buying more then you think you need - I started with 8', and ran out (also 4' of that probably turned into scrap / had to re-work runs). I put another order in with Frozen 2 weeks ago (as they were out of clear tubing for a week) and I bought another 20' just so I would have future stock.

Another thing I had to do (which is mentioned someone in their videos) is use (in my case) olive oil with the silicon tube, otherwise it would get stuck and I had a hell of a time trying to get it out. Once you embrace the oil, it works better although you need to do some rigorous cleaning afterwards.

I probably spent about 10 hours total making the tubes, bending, cleaning, re-bending, scrapping, etc. Also note that if you have a leak (like I did) its really tough to strip out hardware with rigid tubing - be warned - TEST YOUR w/c GEAR FIRST (like everyone says to).

I am happy with the final result, although like Lofat (I think it was him who mentioned it) it is very difficult to get those uber clean angles - and if you are OCD like me that will bug you a little. But the lego molds really did help - let me try and post one so you can see what I was doing.

Last edited by bjcsoln; March 10, 2014 at 02:43 PM.
Old March 10, 2014, 02:20 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Okay, here are a couple of examples of how I used the lego to make the guides for bending the tubes.

Last edited by bjcsoln; March 10, 2014 at 02:27 PM.
Old March 10, 2014, 02:28 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

And for a little more advanced one...

Old March 10, 2014, 03:40 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I like that idea bjcsoln, might have to borrow that one :)
Old March 10, 2014, 04:16 PM
F@H

My System Specs

That's amazing!!!! I love seeing home grown solutions like these... get's the creative juices flowing. :)

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old March 10, 2014, 07:27 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Lego is awesome!
Old March 12, 2014, 09:53 AM
Top Prospect

so i went to home depot, picked up a temp control 1650 hands free heat gun for 50 bucks, thankfully they where on sale... there was some issues with the transaction... but in the end it was a good deal. got a plastic saw and some painters tape aswell as a brand new set of the primochill revolver compression fittings. the bad thing is that my order from Mc-Master-Carr got cancelled... so i heard back from both mnpctech and mcmaster, looks like im getting my petg tubes after all.

good news.

Last edited by radish; March 12, 2014 at 03:43 PM.
Old March 13, 2014, 08:11 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

This is an awesome idea. I've been wasting a ton of tubing getting used to using the tubing and I have a ton of Lego's just sitting around in a closet.

Kudos for the idea.

Maybe I can finally finish up my "Muzzle Flash II" build.
Old March 13, 2014, 09:42 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnpctech View Post
Hey guys, heres the 3 video guides by The Mod Zoo for clear hard lining... Mod Zoo was first to discover and use PETG tubing..
Great vid on the n00b tube bending with PETG. Someone asked about Polycarbonate or Lexan tubing on the comments section.

Just to comment on that, in my experience of bending lexan versus acrylic, Lexan needs a lot more heat and time to get up to temperature, and the interval between flexibility and bubbling up is a lot shorter. Also Lexan is very prone to scratching, even worse than acrylic.

From your video here, it seems like PETG is a great in-between. You sacrifice a bit of durability versus Lexan but benefit from shorter heating time than acrylic, all wins in my mind.

Always great vids though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungwirez View Post
derp... good point 10e.

I much prefer The Rimmer:
I'm looking into getting one of these. A nice and quick/easy tool to do that job.

I thought it was called the reamer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
I used 20 feet on my Lian Li and I am not happy w/ the any of the bends. Unfortunately ran out of tubing so I couldn't redo them. I haven't found a place to buy 3/8" ID 1/2" OD tubing in Canada yet.
I might check here and let you know Acrylic : Online Plastics, Plastic Sheets, Plexiglass, Epoxy, Fiberglass, Carbon Fiber - Plastic World

I've bought sheets of acrylic from them three different occasions and they've been pretty good so far. Their acrylic rods/tubes are in imperial so they will likely only work with Monsoon or Primochill fittings. I just have to make sure the O/D is correct. They have also responded to my e-mails fairly quickly too.

Both are great fittings but the Primochills are a bit chubby IMHO.

Xeven: How about 10^8.450980400142567e-001 -as a possible replacement for "10e"

http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=71732

Last edited by 10e; March 13, 2014 at 09:57 AM.