Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 7, 2014, 01:33 AM
MVP

My System Specs

To bend the acrylic, You really don't need any special tools other than a good heatgun, that flexi tube insert to prevent collapse and some soapy water.
Old March 7, 2014, 03:38 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pcKy7arIFg

MNpctech vid
Old March 7, 2014, 07:14 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I'd also suggest a decent fretsaw or hacksaw to cut the tubing and some 320 grit sand paper to "chamfer" or taper the edges. The fittings use either a single fat o-ring (Primochill) or two smaller o-rings to seal around the tube. Rough edges can cause a worse seal, and when you cut the tube it can leave a sharp edge which can damage the o-rings. Otherwise the above suggestions are 100% bang-on.

Another approach to cut the tubing is a Dremel or rotary tool with one of their cutting wheels. I use this one to cut acrylic and it works better than any of the dark grey cutting wheels I've used:

543 Cutting/Shaping Wheel / Model: 543

The reason this wheel is best is because it doesn't melt the acrylic like the other Dremel wheels do.

I plan on doing my first two WC builds with hard tubes over the next few weeks.

Xeven: How about 10^8.450980400142567e-001 -as a possible replacement for "10e"

http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=71732
Old March 7, 2014, 09:08 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Another huge benefit in my eyes is getting rid of all the plasticizer that eventually gum up the works when moving from soft tubing to hard tube. Assuming you use quality coolant and a properly cleaned loop, you essentially never need to clean your loop again. That along with the overall look and great flow are why I plan on doing my main rig. After I get that figured I will be moving my other rig to hard tube too.
Old March 7, 2014, 10:16 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10e View Post
I'd also suggest a decent fretsaw or hacksaw to cut the tubing and some 320 grit sand paper to "chamfer" or taper the edges...
derp... good point 10e.

I much prefer The Rimmer:

Old March 7, 2014, 03:48 PM

My System Specs

Using acrylic and not having the loop look like crap can be a lot of work. So if you don't have a ton of patience I would avoid it. But like turtletrax said not having placticizers in the loop is a huge plus.

The Monsoon bending kit can really help out. It comes w/ a ton of stuff that will assist w/ bending, measuring, and cutting the acrylic.
Old March 7, 2014, 06:14 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
Using acrylic and not having the loop look like crap can be a lot of work. So if you don't have a ton of patience I would avoid it. But like turtletrax said not having placticizers in the loop is a huge plus.

The Monsoon bending kit can really help out. It comes w/ a ton of stuff that will assist w/ bending, measuring, and cutting the acrylic.

Looks like you got the hang of the monsoon kit after awhile by the looks of your Lian-Li project. How much tube did it taker before you felt comfortable? I have 10 meters and I was hoping to get at least 3 rigs out of it.
Old March 7, 2014, 06:38 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtletrax View Post
Looks like you got the hang of the monsoon kit after awhile by the looks of your Lian-Li project. How much tube did it taker before you felt comfortable? I have 10 meters and I was hoping to get at least 3 rigs out of it.
I used 20 feet on my Lian Li and I am not happy w/ the any of the bends. Unfortunately ran out of tubing so I couldn't redo them. I haven't found a place to buy 3/8" ID 1/2" OD tubing in Canada yet.
Old March 7, 2014, 09:40 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
I used 20 feet on my Lian Li and I am not happy w/ the any of the bends. Unfortunately ran out of tubing so I couldn't redo them. I haven't found a place to buy 3/8" ID 1/2" OD tubing in Canada yet.

Ouch. Looks like I might not even get two out of my 33ft. I would sell you some if it wasn't 10/12mm.

I still have to buy blocks for my titans before I begin tubing my rig up. Debating some other purchases before I put in my order.
Old March 8, 2014, 03:36 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
I haven't found a place to buy 3/8" ID 1/2" OD tubing in Canada yet.
Hey man, when you do would you mind sharing? I've been on the look out for a little while, and definitely don't want to have to go with McMaster-Carr...