Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 3, 2014, 10:54 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Default Swiftech MCR320 heat load - 600W+

Hi all,

Recently just setup a loop, first one in quite a while. Worried that I had vastly underestimated the cooling capacity of my setup. I am worried that I am overloading the radiator, and that it will not be able to cope in the summer time.

It consists of:
Swiftech MCR320QP Radiator
3 x S-Flex F 1600RPM Fans
Swiftech MCP655 Pump
3 x 7970 with Swiftech Komodo Blocks & Crossfire-X Bridge for three cards
EK 150 Res
Plain distilled water

At the wall usage is approximately 810W on an EVGA 1000P2 PSU, with about 50W system draw, and the remainder after DC conversion, just under 700W heat load on the rad.

At the wall 810W - System 50W = 760W * 0.90 PSU efficiency = Approximately 684W for three cards.

I had 3 x Cougar 1200RPM fans on it, but the water temperature was really hot (almost scalding) prior to some heavy undervolting (it was originally pulling 900W). Swapped the fans to S-Flex F and the water is hot, but not uncomfortably so.

The GPU temps at full load are around: 52C/56C/54C, one of the cards has VRM temps in the 80s. Ambient at the time was probably around 24C (yes my PCs dump out a lot of heat ).

I can find some data on this rad going up to around 582W on Martins Liquid Lab, showing around a 15C delta for water out/air-in which is on the "very poor" end of the performance scale. If I am to keep this running into the summer time where I am getting 30C temps in my house, I will likely have water temps of ~60 C !!!

I really would like to keep my fans under 2000 RPM due to noise, but it really seems like I'll need to either get a bigger rad (case can't handle it), or get suck it up and get faster fans (there goes the benefit I wanted from water cooling).

Are there any other thicker 3x120 15mm spaced rads that would be able to handle this type of heatload? I found most sites test up to around 300W, and Skineelabs has been down all weekend (just like HWC!)

Does this sound right? I do have a 4x120 rad that I am planning on using for a tri-290X watercooled setup, so I'd like to make sure I get everything sorted regarding heatload before I start buying parts for this second rig.

Thanks!
Old February 3, 2014, 10:56 AM
Hall Of Fame

Wattage from the wall holds no relevance to cooling capacity of a radiator.

Find out things like the TDP of your cpu and such that is what is going to let you know.
Old February 3, 2014, 12:27 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

which way are the fans facing? Into the case or out of the case? I guarantee a 10-15 degree drop if you bring air from outside of the case to the inside... the same way a car works man.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old February 4, 2014, 06:25 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Wattage from the wall holds no relevance to cooling capacity of a radiator.

Find out things like the TDP of your cpu and such that is what is going to let you know.
... I guess I should have added a TL;DR version. I used wattage from the wall to estimate the heat load that my rad will need to dissipate. I don't even have a CPU in the loop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clshades View Post
which way are the fans facing? Into the case or out of the case? I guarantee a 10-15 degree drop if you bring air from outside of the case to the inside... the same way a car works man.
The top rad fans are blowing out of the case. I recall a thread on here where lowfat suggested to someone to change his setup so the fans blow in (and he got really good results). The paranoia in me wants to make sure it keeps blowing out so that I can't accidentally block the intake. Plus it makes for a nicer winter heater if I want to warm my hands :)

FWIW I did reverse the rear exhaust fan and make it blow in.

200mm front intake
120mm behind drive cage being fed by 200mm front intake
120mm fan on the 7970 ends blowing across (to help cool VRM)
120mm rear intake
3x120mm top rad exhaust.

@ 19.5C ambient with the sides of the case on, and the top grille removed (it's way too restrictive), I am getting decent temperatures:

Really messy pic during the initial testing:
Old February 8, 2014, 02:44 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Heh, looks like mine I have a thick quad rad that sits on top of my Hafx getting same temps as you, its a older rad I bought about 9 years ago, cant even remember the name still works great though! Airflow is up.

Old February 10, 2014, 08:57 AM

My System Specs

Thicker radiators have negligble gains over thin ones. If you don't want to use higher speed fans you will just need to add more radiators.
Old February 12, 2014, 12:04 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Hmm thanks for the advice. I suppose I'll forget about internal watercooling and mount 2 x MCR320s on a cheap case for my next build.