Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 20, 2014, 12:26 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Default First H20 setup - ASAP - LITEcoins

OK so a while ago I was looking at BITcoins but I missed the boat. By the time I was interested GPU mining was no longer profitable (without free electricity). I JUST started looking at LITEcoins about a week ago. Long story short I decided to bite the INFLATED price on a pair of 290X's. I wanted a pair of these

Newegg.ca - SAPPHIRE TRI-X OC 100361-2SR Radeon R9 290X 4GB 512-bit GDDR5 Video Card

I decided to sleep on it. I go to the computer the next morning - SOLD OUT. If you had asked me a year ago I would have expected to be running liquid cooling by now. I felt that this was my next best option.

Newegg.ca - PowerColor LCS AXR9 290X 4GBD5-WMDHG/OC Radeon R9 290X 4GB 512-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 CrossFireX Support Video Card (BF4 Edition)

The order is placed for a pair of them. I have a rad but it has sat for a LOOOOOOOOOOOONG time and I want to pressure test it (I already know how as I have done this sort of thing a couple times with cars).

QUESTION 1 ~ What would be a good pressure to test the rad to see if it is "OK". No I don't want to fill it and see if it leaks with no pressure - this is a pressurized coolant system!

QUESTION 2 ~ I have a 1200W Antec TPQ Powersupply - 1200W continuous max, Silver efficiency. Is this enough for my PC? EVGA DARK, 3820 (OC'd), 2 x 290X Liquid cooled - OC'd, A D5 pump (From DAZmode), and perhaps as many as 12 HDD's before the years end.

I bought the PSU on sale $130 a year ago. I try to future proof, and a cheap temporary power supply grenaded my last computer so I wanted to go for overkill.
Old January 20, 2014, 12:28 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

I have much reading to do to refresh my knowledge about liquid cooling (but I did a fair bit of reading last year so I should have retained much of that). Still I am trying to read as much as I can. I want to order the rest of the liquid parts ASAP to fire it up. I will surely be back with more questions.

And thanks again guys. This site is just awesome. So helpful and a class act to boot!
Old January 20, 2014, 12:39 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

If you are wondering why I was so willing to pay above retail its because it fits nicely with my plan for 2014.

So I bought an 1992 Gulstream last year with the intent to move in this spring. 37 foot long, 74,000 miles She's a BEAUTY! She needs love of course (one 1 issue that is not small). I am a single guy so living in a small area for a while mortgage free sounds pretty good - Especially when that includes a Generator, Skylite and a BAR - Like I said its a beaut. I wanted to add solar panels for my power and heat. In the spring it will be home, but down the road it will be a cottage and RV and Party Bus. I also forgot it has about 30% more Torque than stock and 25% more horse while providing better mileage - THANKS MR BANKS for your awesome upgrades!

I was planning to install solar power before Winter 2014 but since my PC will likely need a KW 24/7... Well I am going to want to get some solar in place much sooner. This is part of my decision to jump in and pay above retail on these cards. If my Electricity costs disappear soonish... PLUS I can still mine for a while longer even than those who pay for electricity.

If I have solar it only makes sense to use electric heat - duh. BUT I thought... Sure I could use a little heater OR I could use this to half justify new video cards - I was planning to set them to fold to be my source of winter heat. A Pair of 290X on Water SHOULD be able to produce some HUGE PPD. I suspect that down the road the cards will be set to fold once the payout of LITEcoins slows down enough. WORST CASE I will keep them for heat, folding, gaming, etc I suspect I will have some serious folding done before 2015.
Old January 20, 2014, 12:53 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

OK so I looked into it and yeah my PSU is ok as expected. It would be about a KW as I had estimated. For some reason I thought the online PSU calculators would not have the 290x listed yet but they do :)
Old January 20, 2014, 06:31 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

just leak test it man... water cooling technically isn't a pressurized system. I wouldn't do more than about 20 pounds of air... if the fittings will even hold that much.

alternatively you could fill it with water and apply around 10 pounds of air to it... that will certainly expose any leaks rather quickly.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old January 20, 2014, 10:11 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

CLSHADES ~ Thanks for the input. It's a car rad I bought new and 6 months later scrapped the car. It's been sitting over 10 years, but its pretty clean and brass... STILL I want to pressure test it. I suppose I should have expected it to be a VERY low pressure system as the hoses in the PC's do not have a braided re-enforcement layer.

Good to know it is not 'really' a pressurized system. I draw my knowledge of liquid cooling mostly from cars - where they add pressure to raise the boiling point of water for a bit more headroom with the cooling systems. I realize pumps create flow, restrictions create pressure. I've pressure tested some intercoolers before - cap one end, fill with water, cap the 2nd end with a fitting you can add air pressure to... Very Easy to find leaks. This is how they RETEST (welding) gas tanks to about 3000PSI - With almost no air inside the container looses pressure instantly upon cracking rather than simply EXPLODING (if it were filled up with only air). They also put it in a sealed area just in case.

Thanks again
Old January 20, 2014, 10:25 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

for leak test I usually put two 1 foot hoses on each port, fill it with water, block one hole and blow in the other.
Old January 20, 2014, 10:39 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Don't mine Litecoins. Mine something else like Dogecoins. The value of DOGEs soared tonight.
Old January 21, 2014, 02:24 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birk View Post
for leak test I usually put two 1 foot hoses on each port, fill it with water, block one hole and blow in the other.
WOW I figured they would have some pressure since those Liang D5 Pumps claim up to 50PSI. But the system should really have almost no resistance... Like so little. Thanks for the input.
Old January 21, 2014, 02:42 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by geokilla View Post
Don't mine Litecoins. Mine something else like Dogecoins. The value of DOGEs soared tonight.
So I looked into BITcoin JUST as they ASIC's were putting GPU's out of business (if you could get them back then). I was too late. I did not know about the 290 and 290X being EXCELLENT mining cards until maybe 3 or 5 nights ago. So I read a bit more, saw how it almost mirrors bitcoin (in the past) and hopped on.

I had not looked into any other Crypto-currencies (I still need to order a pump, fittings, tubing, silver coil, ummm....). I just started glancing at Doge an hour ago - my body wants sleep, my brain wants to know... all... things... CRYPTO-Currency! I am open to other currencies but I need to read a bit more. So far Doge does seem like it may receive part of my efforts.

Do you know of any good reading on Doge off the top of your head? Or any key differences?

I have only read a little but there is a massive number of coins (obviously)
It is earlier so a greater potential for growth is a tantalizing thought.