Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 10, 2014, 12:25 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Default Watercooling with PWM Fans?

Well, I've been giddy all week because I am going to watercool my computer again, but this time I'm doing the GPU's also. My dilemma is that I really want to run a 360 rad up front in my case, but that will leave no room for a fan controller.

I came across a build where a gentlemen was using PWM fans to control the fan speed automatically. I was and still am slightly weary about how effective PWM control is for watercooling for a couple reasons. If the CPU throttles because it is not processing a load for X amount of time after running full load for a while (creating heat) the PWM fans would than throttle also.

In a real world scenario (video games etc.) is this effective? Since games process data sporadically, you can imagine that through PWM your radiator fans would not continually cool the radiators while there isn't a full load of data to process.

Am I off?
Old January 10, 2014, 12:29 PM

My System Specs

You can use software to setup the fan curve yourself. Speedfan is one option, which should work w/ your MSI Z77 board. I love PWM.
Old January 10, 2014, 12:53 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Look up the Gelid 1-4 Splitter

Molex Power
Pwm control header
4 PWM fan out cables.

Gelid 1 to 4 Splitter CA PWM 03 PWM 4pin Molex 4pin PWM to 4 x PWM Header | eBay
Old January 10, 2014, 01:32 PM
Hall Of Fame

SpeedFan best option without trashing case
Old January 10, 2014, 03:36 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
You can use software to setup the fan curve yourself. Speedfan is one option, which should work w/ your MSI Z77 board. I love PWM.
I'm using a Maximus V Formula now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZLEE View Post
Look up the Gelid 1-4 Splitter

Molex Power
Pwm control header
4 PWM fan out cables.

Gelid 1 to 4 Splitter CA PWM 03 PWM 4pin Molex 4pin PWM to 4 x PWM Header | eBay
That is exactly what I have. I bought them a couple years ago when I did my first watercooling setup thinking they were regular fan splitters. They've been sitting ever since. I wouldn't mind putting them to use.

I was conversing back and forth with a member on Overclock.net today and he was telling me that only his CPU_FAN and CPU_OPT are the only headers with actual PWM. The others only adjust by voltage. I believe my mobo is the same way.

Here is the diagram for my mobo:

I was going to run 6 fans on my front 360, 3 fans on the top 360 and one exhaust fan.

I was told I could just daisy chain two Gelids per header giving me 7 fans I can control per header. I would put the front 6 on one, and the 3+1 on the other. Using the molex to power of course. :D

Like so:

Does this make sense or am I out to lunch?

Last edited by JoeOnePack; January 10, 2014 at 03:44 PM.