Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 28, 2013, 08:59 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by clshades View Post
If the OP is really looking for that maximum overclock that stays stable for weeks on end /snip
No I'm not looking for the maximum OC. I build for noise, and to get the best cooling I can for the noise I can tollerate (which isn't much). Then I take the OC as far as I can given that cooling which typically works out to a 'moderate' OC compared to what the rest of the community is doing. Once I get to the point of having to turn up the voltage considerably I run into a brick wall very quickly. But i will agree that the OC needs to be stable indefinitely, otherwise he system is not stable (aka fail). Though I would consider zero errors on hard benching for 48 hours to be stable.... I'm not going to run the test for a couple weeks continuously.

I haven't found very convincing evidence so far that 140mm fans have any advantage over 120mm ones in cfm/dba, and 180mm comparisons are even harder to find. Gonna have to figure out the best C/W combo and build from there.
EVGA GTX 280 (SC?)
OCZ Gamer Xtreme 600W PSU
Cooler Master Cosmos on water
Old December 28, 2013, 09:03 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

A new board will also have integrated video as well, you can run some extra monitors from those ports as well.
Old December 28, 2013, 09:07 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Thats a good thought! I'll have to look into that. I'd thought about using my GTX280 for the extra monitors since it already has a water block on it. Maybe undervolt/underclock to reduce heat load. Thanks!
EVGA GTX 280 (SC?)
Old December 28, 2013, 09:09 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I like your old system to be honest.. I am still running a E8400 to this day and its still perfect for what I do and the games I play.. I am going to wait until Skylake to upgrade.

What's wrong with your motherboard now? Check for any bios upgrades since? Also have you put in an SSD into your system yet? It will make it night and day...
Old December 28, 2013, 09:20 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Yup, gotta SSD. In the new build that will be the only drive in the system (I have a NAS), still not sure about adding a BDROM. Maybe a mobile slot load.

Problem with the current setup is my attached drives are 'disappearing', locks the whole system when it goes to access the drive, that includes all the drives. Tried new drivers but I think it's just the mobo drive controller failing. A reboot fixes it for a while but fails before long... like getting into a heavy file transfer. Maybe nuking the OS and a clean install might fix the problem, but might be harder to justify the new build to the wife if she knew I hadn't exhausted ALL posibilities to fix the problem. Let's just say it's broke and move on!

But thanks for the compliments on the old build. Was nice back in the day but there's been some real nice stuff lately.
EVGA GTX 280 (SC?)
Old December 28, 2013, 09:38 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Just to prove it perhaps boot an ubuntu live cd and see if your attached cdrom works since it runs off the cdrom all the time it will pretty much be a given something is wrong. You can mount another drive once you are up and see if it goes out... Not sure how often the problem happens but it would be nice to keep as a second machine regardless.

Wonder if it's an AHCI mode issue or something to that effect, regardless goodluck!
Old December 28, 2013, 09:54 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

The system hasn't changed in a long time so I doubt it is a setting issue. The problem is very random, runs fine for a few days then fails a few times in the same night. I got a few other systems in the house, the cpu will probably be traded out in one of the HTPC's, and the ram will be absorbed into one or two of them being DDR2 . Mobo will be gone. I'm going for the upgrade. As long as I stay in $1k for the mobo/cpu/ram + case and cooling I should be able to squeak under the wife's radar. I think I can get the job done with that for what I want to do.
EVGA GTX 280 (SC?)
Old December 28, 2013, 09:57 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Cool you can reuse the components - Let us know how the upgrade goes!
Old December 28, 2013, 10:01 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

I'll probably post a build log but will not be as polished as some of the builds posted. I'm more about being utilitarian now a days, less about bling. I still appreciate those builds but I don't have that kind of time anymore to do it for myself. But thanks for your input!
EVGA GTX 280 (SC?)
Old December 28, 2013, 10:22 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Sounds like a failing hard drive to me or rom drive. It doesn't have to be an OS drive to cause major slow downs either.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.