Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 23, 2013, 05:58 PM
Rookie

Default My loop is losing water fast

I recently reroute tubes in my system, and for the last few weeks water in the loop disappears very fast, it's about 10-15mm per week I am using a dual bay reservoir.

I am using exactly the same components as before, and the 360 rad is an external backpack when I tune off the system, I can see some air in one of the tube connecting the rad and the pump, all other tubes are filled with water

so my guesses are:
1. my loop has a leak, maybe the rad (will other parts leak kills/burn the system?) but how can I know where?
I am using distill water, no color no smell
2. my system is beside the room radiator, is it possible that the heat from radiator help to steam away some
water?
3. there is a lot of air in the rad, beside what I can see from the tube mentioned above, how can I get it out?

This is my first water cooled build, so don't really have to much experience, any advise will be appreciated.
Old November 23, 2013, 06:00 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Have you been topping it up when you find it low? If you aren't seeing any water pooling / puddling my first guess would be that you've got a lot of air in your loop and it needs to be properly bled.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old November 23, 2013, 06:24 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

blue shop towels around and near all fittings see if anything shows up.

You may have lots off air in loop but look hard fore leaks.

Edit : water needs a piece of silver fitting with silver or a silver object in the res to stop algae growrh.
nothing to do with leak or air but will fix feuter problems.

Last edited by ZZLEE; November 23, 2013 at 06:29 PM.
Old November 23, 2013, 07:10 PM
Hall Of Fame

I would pressure test loop @ 3psi and see if drops over night

other hear any odd noises around pump
Old November 23, 2013, 10:20 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

just sounds like it hasn't been bled out properly.
Ixnay on the silver eh... put a half cup of 50/50 glycol in there it costs less than a silver fitting and nothing will grow ever. It is basically the same as spending 15 bux on inhibitor from any water cooling reseller except Canadian tire sells 50/50 for about 5 bux.

I've gone through the whole silver conversation in other posts and I'm not interested in going through that lesson again... adding more metals to an already mixed metal loop will only make things worse and certain kinds of nickel blocks do not play nice with silver. This is why glycol is used and one of the reasons it was invented.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old November 24, 2013, 04:40 AM
Hall Of Fame

Default Caution will some loose health

Quote:
Originally Posted by clshades View Post
just sounds like it hasn't been bled out properly.
Ixnay on the silver eh... put a half cup of 50/50 glycol in there it costs less than a silver fitting and nothing will grow ever. It is basically the same as spending 15 bux on inhibitor from any water cooling reseller except Canadian tire sells 50/50 for about 5 bux.

I've gone through the whole silver conversation in other posts and I'm not interested in going through that lesson again... adding more metals to an already mixed metal loop will only make things worse and certain kinds of nickel blocks do not play nice with silver. This is why glycol is used and one of the reasons it was invented.
yes in automotive but in home heads up, get propylene glycol

caution to glycol, Ethylene glycol should not be confused with propylene the lesser poison

note: vapors are same as ingestion

any time use something read the msds of stuff

MSDS of 50/50.pdf
<H2></H2>
Old November 24, 2013, 05:40 AM
MVP

My System Specs

sounds like your just need to bleed the system as others have already mentioned, turning the case on it side, left, right idea may get the trapped air out..I usually try to get my res in a non overflowing spot and leave cover off while system is running, In the end will still be a little air in res that stays there idea..
Old November 24, 2013, 05:42 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by clshades View Post
put a half cup of 50/50 glycol in there it
LOL, why would you mix it with water first? Just put a 1/4 cup in.
Old November 24, 2013, 06:45 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeetard View Post
LOL, why would you mix it with water first? Just put a 1/4 cup in.
Who said he wasn't talking about it coming pre-mixed at 50/50?
Old November 24, 2013, 09:10 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I have always rapped paper towels around where any of the hoses are connected then I would jump my PSU and run the pump over night to make sure of any leaks if you cannot find any at all then maybe check the actual water blocks them selves to make sure the seals are not squished which happened to me when I pulled about a older cpu water block and cleaned it I put it back together and was about to turn on the pump and noticed tha tthe rubber seal was sticking out a a tiny bit so I unmounted the water block from the CPU and fired up[ the pump sure enough it has a very very tiny leak it took a few minutes to actually notice it even with the paper towel but it ended up being I over tightened the screw . which I have done before when putting vavle wcovers on a car many years ago I had thought that the tighter the better but what happens is that where evcr the mount bolts or in the case of the CPU block mount screws it would squish that part and create a gap beside it.