Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 20, 2013, 11:52 PM
Top Prospect

Default vertically mounted 360mm rad - does not bleed

I recently installed a 360mm radiator that is vertically mounted with the ports on the bottom. For the past few days I find that the water does not go through the whole radiator, just the bottom 1/3 of it. It just can't bleed the air on the upper 2/3 of the rad.

Can rads not be vertically mounted with ports on the bottom?
Old November 21, 2013, 12:51 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Yes they can, they're just a bugger to bleed. Tip your case on it's side with the pump running.
Old November 21, 2013, 07:50 AM

My System Specs

Like SugarJ says, rotate the case. Even upside down if you can.
Old November 21, 2013, 08:13 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I miss the old Thermochill days where a bleed hole was standard.
Old November 21, 2013, 11:20 AM
Top Prospect

Where is your reservoir and pump?
Turning the case upside down can introduce air in to the loop as the 'out' port on the reservoir is usually at the bottom of the res and as you turn the case this port is now at the top and in the air pocket.....

Sometimes I just unscrew the rad from the case and turn this upside down while it is running, or at the very least I can set the rad at an angle in order to get the air to rise to the top.....

Good luck...
Old November 21, 2013, 11:50 AM
Top Prospect

I will try laying the pc on it's side so it's horizontally oriented and let it run and bleed for a few days.

Right now it goes res -> rad -> pump -> block, could that be an issue as well?
Old November 21, 2013, 12:10 PM
Hall Of Fame

This is where cycling the power supply to trigger the pump can come in handy. By cycling the pump it allows the air/water to be pushed through allowing any air build ups to escapes.

Only other option is to use your case as a piece of workout equipment and flip it around and around.
Old November 21, 2013, 12:34 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoc View Post
I will try laying the pc on it's side so it's horizontally oriented and let it run and bleed for a few days.

Right now it goes res -> rad -> pump -> block, could that be an issue as well?
You betcha! I always put the res right before the pump, then the pump is never starved for fluid when filling the loop. If you have an airlock in your rad, your pump won't get much flow. The way you have it, you have to gravity drain the rad full from the res before it will flow properly.

I'm not sure that all is clear to read, but tipping the case for a few seconds won't hurt. I wouldn't lie it on it's side for days unless you're sure that there isn't a way to suck air in through the res in that orientation.

If you can, change your loop so it's res>pump>rest. This will help filling and bleeding the loop. Oh, and if you have an adjustable speed pump, crank it to max for a few minutes, this will help force air bubbles out of blocks and rads.
Old November 21, 2013, 01:40 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
You betcha! I always put the res right before the pump, then the pump is never starved for fluid when filling the loop. If you have an airlock in your rad, your pump won't get much flow. The way you have it, you have to gravity drain the rad full from the res before it will flow properly.

I'm not sure that all is clear to read, but tipping the case for a few seconds won't hurt. I wouldn't lie it on it's side for days unless you're sure that there isn't a way to suck air in through the res in that orientation.

If you can, change your loop so it's res>pump>rest. This will help filling and bleeding the loop. Oh, and if you have an adjustable speed pump, crank it to max for a few minutes, this will help force air bubbles out of blocks and rads.
Going to agree here, Might consider next time to do Res > Pump > everything else. Having the pump Push into the rad gets more power behind a pump power cycle also. Right now you're going to actually be feeding air to your pump.
Old November 21, 2013, 02:42 PM
Top Prospect

Yea, that's what I thought too, but because of the size of the case it is really difficult to orient so that it is res->pump->rad->block.