Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 13, 2013, 05:43 AM
Hall Of Fame

As price difference is minimal, put bigger radiator you can fit into your case to keep your options open and for lower noise operation. Model (brand) does not really mater that much as all rads are pretty much the same unless you go into obsessed hair splitting mode.
D5 pump is great choice. Reservoir makes no difference its only purpose is liquid supply to pump, so take what you like.
HTPC Build: Final Video
Old November 14, 2013, 08:17 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by hero1 View Post
I say you do it all at once. And I suggested the 480 mm rad because you have a bigger case and can take a lot of water cooling hardware. So, if you really want to go all out then I suggest you do another 480 or 360 mm rad up top. The loop should be Rad->GPU->GPU-> CPU->Top Rad->Res->Pump.

Sorry hero I get tired of seeing this. Loop order makes no difference whatsoever ok... if you ran all the water through both rads one after the other and then through the blocks the temps would be the same +/- a degree or two.

Seems like people think the gpu OR cpu flashes the water to a higher temperature instantaneously... nothing could be further from the truth. Basic plumbing 101 bud. The amount of BTU's required to instantly spike water to a higher temperature is substantially higher than a cpu or gpu can put out. Like flame temperature hot... 2500 ish Celsius.

the water passing a gpu at 50c will not heat the water to 50c... it might go up 1 degree if that. Water is simply a great conductor of heat which makes it so great at cooling computers among other things. That same water passing the cpu might go up another half degree. What eventually ends up happening is a happy balance between how much thermal dissipation the rads can deal with given the amount of air passing through the fins. There's obviously more math involved here but that's the gist of it.

I love you man but I can't resist these assumptions anymore!
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old November 14, 2013, 08:46 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by clshades View Post
Sorry hero I get tired of seeing this. Loop order makes no difference whatsoever ok... if you ran all the water through both rads one after the other and then through the blocks the temps would be the same +/- a degree or two.

Seems like people think the gpu OR cpu flashes the water to a higher temperature instantaneously... nothing could be further from the truth. Basic plumbing 101 bud. The amount of BTU's required to instantly spike water to a higher temperature is substantially higher than a cpu or gpu can put out. Like flame temperature hot... 2500 ish Celsius.

the water passing a gpu at 50c will not heat the water to 50c... it might go up 1 degree if that. Water is simply a great conductor of heat which makes it so great at cooling computers among other things. That same water passing the cpu might go up another half degree. What eventually ends up happening is a happy balance between how much thermal dissipation the rads can deal with given the amount of air passing through the fins. There's obviously more math involved here but that's the gist of it.

I love you man but I can't resist these assumptions anymore!
Nooo! That's not the reason why I gave him that order lol! I just thought he can make his loop looks better. I know the assumption and I don't real follow that as it doesn't ring true with physics
Old November 14, 2013, 09:51 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

ok cool lol... I always bite.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old November 15, 2013, 03:15 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

^^^^ Thanks guys....some great advice...780Ti's are both in right now (on Air), I'll come back to this and consider WC these bad boys in the New Year. Cheers...

Old November 15, 2013, 04:23 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

in the mean time I'd be happy to water cool one of your 780's for ya. :P
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old November 18, 2013, 12:24 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

RJBarker,

Not sure if anyone replied back about possible bridge options, but I just placed an order (with NCIX, Frozen, and DazMode) for my upgrade to my loop which will be taking my first w/c loop with a 680 and upgrading to a dual 780. I went with EKWB acyclic blocks as well as their bridge (which looks like a cool way to connect them).

As for the # of radiators, I have also gotten the same info that has been posted here - one fan per block should work well. For me, I will have 2x780s, 1 CPU, and one MB block running off of 3 x 120mm (the MB block really doesn't generate a lot of heat, a lot of it is just for show). All of this jammed in a 800D case - I guess we can compare results next year (although with an email from Daz saying my order has shipped.....Oh boy I can't wait).

And jezuz, how the heck to you get a 3Dmark score of 19.4K?!?!? I tested mine (albeit just with a single 680) and I came in around 3300 (with 16MB Ram, I7 8 core processor). I cant wait to see what happens to my score when I go from one 680 to two 780s...

Last edited by SugarJ; November 18, 2013 at 01:57 PM.
Old November 18, 2013, 05:00 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

ek and xspc have special sli/crossfire bridges now making nice solid connection between the two.

you didnt mention which 780ti's make sure they have blocks for them
Old November 20, 2013, 02:47 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Am running two 780's on a 360 rad and tbh am not that impressed, cpu temps have increased allot, so much took my o/c off of the 4770 cpu I have. Am considering running a second loop to isolate the vid cards.
Old November 20, 2013, 03:05 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

rjbarker: I say you go and grab a 480mm rad for silent operation and optimal cooling. That way, you can leave you swifty alone for CPU and use the 480 with it's own res and pump for the GPUs. I know you are going to OC these cards so more cooling surface is better.