LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 4, 2014, 03:59 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I've also got 3 x Penetrators 120mm up front as Intakes, so in total:
Top Rad 4 x 120mm Intake
Bottom Rads 5 x 120mm Intakes
Case Front 3 x 120mm Intakes

Single 140mm Exhaust Top / Rear........definitely Positive Air Flow and you can "feel" air being pushed out of every vent n orifice within the Case ;)

Old June 29, 2014, 07:52 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

What if you're using a rear rad and top rad?
Old June 30, 2014, 05:11 PM
Hall Of Fame

I do not have time to go through the eight current pages on this topic, but I want to point something out. I'm an apprentice Millwright Mechanic, and a lot of what we cover has to do with refrigeration, cooling, heat exchangers etc. I'm also a post radiator builder and industrial cooler fabricator. With that said, I am not an engineer, so just take what I say with a grain of salt.

Even though a fan can both push, and pull airflow, the blades of the fan, are designed for a specific orientation. Some fans are made to pull, some are made to push. It all depends on the contour of the blade, the number of blades, rotation, and pitch.

So while one fan may be awesome at pushing air into a case or through a radiator, it may not be as beneficial or as smart, compared to using one that was made more pulling, to pull.

Get what I mean?
Old July 4, 2014, 02:40 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

I agree, if we're talking about commercial/industrial applications.

But, with computers in general (for mainstream anyways) most fans are designed to push air through something. Whether they do it efficiently is another story.

There's a handful of fan manufacturers that do design their fans with function rather than bling.

But with the popularity of AIO and WC'ing lately - I think that might change. Well, hopefully it'll change.
-Swiffy MCP35x X2, (2) Aphacool UT60 480 rad, Heatkiller rev. 3.0, i7 3930k @ 4.6 Ghz, 16 GB G.SKILL F3, Asus Rampage IV Extreme, XFX R9 290 w/ XPSC WB, Crucial M4 128GB & 240 GB Intel 530, (5) 3 TB Toshiba Drive, Corsair AX1200, Win 7 Ult 64-bit

HTPC Rig:
-G3258 @ Stock, Asrock Z97 Pro 4, Gigabyte 270x, 500 GB WD Black, (5) 2 TB WD Green, (1) 3 TB Toshiba HD, (1) 2 TB Samsung F4, Fractal Design R3, Corsair HX620 PS, Win 7 Ult 64-bit
Old July 4, 2014, 02:48 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuseMe View Post
I do not have time to go through the eight current pages on this topic, but I want to point something out. I'm an apprentice Millwright Mechanic, and a lot of what we cover has to do with refrigeration, cooling, heat exchangers etc. I'm also a post radiator builder and industrial cooler fabricator. With that said, I am not an engineer, so just take what I say with a grain of salt.

Even though a fan can both push, and pull airflow, the blades of the fan, are designed for a specific orientation. Some fans are made to pull, some are made to push. It all depends on the contour of the blade, the number of blades, rotation, and pitch.

So while one fan may be awesome at pushing air into a case or through a radiator, it may not be as beneficial or as smart, compared to using one that was made more pulling, to pull.

Get what I mean?
With fans only an inch apart I reckon the extra fans help with static pressure against the rad fins. You are absolutely correct about the fans and I highly doubt the computer fans doing the pulling are working as efficiently as the ones pushing.
It's hard to say without talking to the guys that engineer these fans because some fans push in and some fans pull out in very case we buy. I can say for certain blowing more air into a case is better than trying to suck it out.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old July 4, 2014, 04:47 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

^^ For what its worth do you guys recall seeing the video Linus has out showing push n push / pull etc...? If I recall after all his testing the Push / Pull set-up with Corsair SP's as push and Corsair AF's as pull on the same Rad was the most effective for heat exchange....all fans running at equilivant RPM...point of it was not how the Corsiar Fans performed but whether mixing SP and AF was smart...this set up performed better (by a small degree or 2) vs all SP or all AF Fans...

Old July 7, 2014, 10:09 AM
Hall Of Fame

I'd love to see a watercooling fan like some of the ones I work on, with adjustable blades. Highly impractical for computer use, and probably fairly hard to make in a 120mm size, but they are neat.

In the summer we pitch the blades higher, and move more airflow. The make more wind noise and require more HP from the engine, but computer fans are electric, so noise is the only issue.

Then again, I'm sure these fun manufacturers have done their home work, and make them the way they do for a reason.
Old July 7, 2014, 10:26 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuseMe View Post
I'd love to see a watercooling fan like some of the ones I work on, with adjustable blades. Highly impractical for computer use, and probably fairly hard to make in a 120mm size, but they are neat.

In the summer we pitch the blades higher, and move more airflow. The make more wind noise and require more HP from the engine, but computer fans are electric, so noise is the only issue.

Then again, I'm sure these fun manufacturers have done their home work, and make them the way they do for a reason.
So it's just a manual mechanical adjustment like rotating over one lug nut? That's kinda neat... I'm used to seeing complex arrangements for pitch adjustment on props / blades / rotary wings but had never considered just a straight manual adjustment. It'd probably be prohibitively expensive though.

With price in mind, how about matched push / pull sets of fans instead? No reason why they couldn't engineer a pair of fans that would compliment each other in a push/pull config at a reasonable markup for the convenience of not having to figure it out yourself.

I know it wouldn't be a perfect match unless it was tuned for a specific rad profile, but you'd think that even a generic tuning would be beneficial.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 250G Samsung 840 Series SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old July 7, 2014, 08:20 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I'm sure they would sell a lot of those Wilson... I would definitely pay money for fans designed like you are suggesting.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.