Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 28, 2013, 12:49 PM
F@H

My System Specs

In a theoretical absolute worst case scenario, the case would pressurize to a point that the fans wouldn't be able to push more air in. However, this will NEVER happen. Cases are not airtight, and the air will find a way out. Through cracks around the side panels, IO panels, expansion slot covers, etc. Positive pressure in cases is a good thing. Look at the Silverstone Raven and Fortress lines. 3 x 180 intake, 1 x140 exhaust.

Edit: ninja'd by lowfat.
Old November 28, 2013, 11:31 PM
MVP

or you can run the front as a exhaust air will move down and out as a fan creates alot of pressure compared to the natural rise of hot air.

I7 930@4.0ghz
3770K@ 4.8ghz
2500k @ 4.7ghz

SF101 HW BOT
Old November 29, 2013, 08:16 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I just installed a Prodigy M case with a H100 blowing into the case. I can tell you that the air being pushed by the radiator under full load is LOWER than the ambient temperature around the CPU area. The GPU does block almost all of the airflow, so I do not benefit from this for cooling down my VRM, etc, but it would clearly help keep away the radiant heat off the GPU otherwise. The air coming from the radiator really isn't all that hot/warm, even though my CPU cores are running around 70 degrees.
Old November 29, 2013, 03:19 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf101 View Post
or you can run the front as a exhaust air will move down and out as a fan creates alot of pressure compared to the natural rise of hot air.
yup this works too... I'm convinced positive airflow is better than negative.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old November 29, 2013, 03:26 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Nice part about positive airflow is you can somewhat control the air-flow... negative pressure you don't really know what the air is going to do because it enters through all the cracks and openings and the fan only pulls air from in front of it. Now, don't quote me here, but I could see it being possible that you have more "dead space" with no airflow in a negative vs positive. A big reason to do positive airflow is so you can place dust filters on your fans and reduce dust randomly entering your case.
Old December 4, 2013, 09:02 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
In a theoretical absolute worst case scenario, the case would pressurize to a point that the fans wouldn't be able to push more air in. However, this will NEVER happen. Cases are not airtight, and the air will find a way out. Through cracks around the side panels, IO panels, expansion slot covers, etc. Positive pressure in cases is a good thing. Look at the Silverstone Raven and Fortress lines. 3 x 180 intake, 1 x140 exhaust.

Edit: ninja'd by lowfat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
This is how I would do it. Air will always find a way to escape. It will be pushed out through the PCIe slot cover or other vents in the case.
Cool, thnx
I need to disassemble the system anyway to perform some dusting; but I'll get some dust filters though for the top fans..
Samsung 931BW 19" LCD, Logitech MX Revolution