Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 14, 2013, 08:08 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeetard View Post
Oh really? Did you take a look at clshades vrm temps in the post 2 above your useless vitrol?
128c OUCH! The defense rests.
Doesn't look like he was gpu folding either. The clocks are way down on the vid card.

Anyhow, you guys do whatever you want, lol. Me, I'm going to stick to common sense and the laws of thermodynamics.

the software isn't reading the vrms right man... it never has. If the VRMs were that hot the computer woulda melted by now.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old November 14, 2013, 08:45 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Basically I took some advice lowfat gave to another member in another post about fan direction and it makes perfect sense when you think about it. Vehicles for example pull air in from the outside because if it were reversed the hot air off the motor would NOT cool the rad fluid thus the fans pull air in to cool the fluid and provide some air flow over the rest of the engine. Most of the cooling happens at the radiator.

That said it makes perfect sense to pull the coolest air possible through the rad to cool the hottest components 1st then blow what ever air remains at whatever temperature it is through the rest of the case for the components that only require passive cooling. Right now the air coming off the rad is 27.6 Celsius but the 2 other intake fans are pulling ambient air (around 20 C)

When I came home from work I was doing 2x 8900 units and one 7646? unit. NB was 54c which is getting close to failing and rebooting the PC. 57-58 has always failed in the past I don't know if it will under water but I'm gonna assume yes.

If ya wanna vent it out through the top and pull warmer case are through your rad have atter! I'm stickin with this setup.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old November 14, 2013, 08:49 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Gotta remember the rad air isn't the only thing to think about here. you'll also want to be having cool air entering the case from some point and exhausting it out through the back, Really that cool air mixed with the warm air from the rad shouldn't make that much of a real difference.
Old November 14, 2013, 08:58 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeetard View Post
SWEET RIG BTW!
QFT. Off topic, but damn that's a clean build Zer0!

Back on topic, I'm in my 6th watercooled case with internal rad mounts and I've had better results with push than pull, and with cold air intake over the rads. YOUR MILEAGE MAY VARY! Cases and components and their various airflow patterns vary so much it's hard to guarantee any given way is better. Some of you may recall me asking in worklogs if you've tried turning your fans around or putting them on the other side of the rad. It's always worth a try, even if it's just to confirm that you had it right the first time.
Old November 27, 2013, 06:13 PM
MVP

Personally my thoughts on this are.

If your running a full water cooled system then its pretty obvious that in-taking air @ the rad is the best solution as your providing cooler air directly to the rad.. air will move where ever fans blow it yes heat rises but the pressure of heat rising is so small vs the pressure a fan provides that its almost non existent and is a non factor.

When you have a Air cooled GPU in a water cooled CPU then this is where the questions start and at that point you need to ask your self which is more important to you temp wise.

If you use the rad for air in then your GPU is going to blow pre heated warmed air over itself that is just how it is "fact!". if you do things the other way the cpu is going to blow pre heated air over itself also. so you need to decide what is more important to you cpu temps or gpu temps in a mixed setup you cant have it both ways.

for me my cpu stops clocking well before the voltage's and heat are really a giant issue "degradation from benching cold" but my gpu "7970 at the time" scales with temps all the way up to 1300 mhz if it has enough cooling.

So in that case running the front air fans as intake and the top rad fans as exhaust makes more sense because i can still run the cpu at my max stable overclock and scale my gpu up much further than the other way around.

Now that said . i run my memory at 2666mhz 11-13-11-31-2t @ 1.8v and the memory runs fine regardless of the 2 configs so imho that tells me memory is very resilient to the minor temp differences and at those volts your not going to see memory producing much more heat than that.

As far as VRM's /Power phases on the board most decent boards come with a acceptable block which can overclock a really really long ways before even getting warm so on current gen vrm/phases this is also a non issue if the air is slightly warmer or not.

I could see if the air the rad supplied was pumping in like 60*C hot air into the case but we all know that's not whats happening here the air coming in is really slightly above ambient like 5-10*C usually.

Now if your watercooling both the CPU and GPU's realistically the only thing that can get warm from rad air is the vrm and ram at that point both of which we know are really not all that heat sensitive anyways. it makes non sense to not run the rads in the best config that they can be run in to provide them cooler water temps.

now if you have a Mobo block in the mix its even more so a non issue but its also not essential either.

my 2 cents
2500k @ 4.7GHz -work/Spare
3570K @ 4.5 -HTPC
MSI GT70-2OC/770m-998/4800MHz -Laptop
SF101 HW BOT
GPU's ("xfire"2x XFX290X@1150/1500"EKWB"|GIGAOC7970WF3@1250/1850|Asus480GTX@900/2000|
2xEvga260Core216's SLI in HTPC-Retired gpu's 9600ati|9800proATI|8800GTS"320mb&640mb"
|8800GTX|9800GT|9800GX2
Old November 27, 2013, 06:38 PM
MVP

Interesting...

Wouldn't we only have to think about how the majority of car engines are cooled (pretty much any I have seen or read about)....rad in front of or before the engine.

Wonder how well the cooling would be if they made them with the rad in behind the engine?

RIP Kiwi - Oct 19th/05 - April 18th/11, you will always be our puppy!
Old November 27, 2013, 06:55 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

The car analogy works for why you get better temps on the components cooled by the loop, but the difference is with a car there are not any other heat generating components that are temperature sensitive...in a computer there are.
Desktop: Antec Three Hundred, Z77-D3H, 3570K undervolt @4.1ghz with Zalman Optima Cooler, Corsair Vengeance 2x4gb@1866mhz, HD 6950(unlocked shaders and OC'd), Bitfenix Fury 750w, WD Black 1TB, Intel 530 120GB
Away from home light Gamer: Acer Aspire 15.6", A8-3500m undervolt and OC to 2Ghz, 2x4gb Corsair Vengeance, Crucial M500 240gb
Old November 27, 2013, 07:55 PM
Hall Of Fame

Simply heat from chips are re-circulating rejected heat with no fresh cool air, same as above rad in front of fresh air stream
Old November 28, 2013, 01:43 PM
Hall Of Fame

Ok so have a question then.. so if we're using the top fans as intake. And the rear fans as exhaust, should we leave the front fans as intake then? Wouldn't that be too much air coming in and not enough fans for the air to escape?
Samsung 931BW 19" LCD, Logitech MX Revolution
Old November 28, 2013, 01:49 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by miggs78 View Post
Ok so have a question then.. so if we're using the top fans as intake. And the rear fans as exhaust, should we leave the front fans as intake then? Wouldn't that be too much air coming in and not enough fans for the air to escape?
This is how I would do it. Air will always find a way to escape. It will be pushed out through the PCIe slot cover or other vents in the case.