Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 10, 2013, 04:00 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I ran the same test years ago and again same thing, cools the loop and increases the components, here is the balancing act. Personally I have not had any issues with RAM/NB/Vrms overheating in modern systems, if they start to climb simple Increase the output , swap to a higher exasut fan/fans. If you are super worried about "board" temps again simple add a fan to blow over the MOBO.

If you add +10c to the Mobo /ram/ect temps will that effect your Overclock? Doubtful.
If you add +10c to your CPU/GPU temps will that effect your OC? Probably.

My 0.02 anyways based on readings done quite sometime ago.

EDIT: And Ninjaed by Lowfat....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old November 10, 2013, 05:00 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I had my H220 in the top of my case with the fans drawing air IN through the rad when it was first installed. CPU temps never got over 46c. The only problem was excess heat drawn inside the case that caused my Video cards etc. to get a bit warmer. Not anything to worry about as Video temps never hit 80c. I figured why not try with the rad fans reversed to draw air OUT through the rad and now CPU temps don't go over 52 or 53c. Video cards run about 10c cooler. In my opinion the best way is air IN through the front and OUT through the rear and top of the case. Lots of cool air flows over the H220 rad,Video, ram etc. With this configuration I enjoy a truely "quiet" rig. And I'm a NUTCASE when it comes to having things quiet. Of course,the type of CPU cooler you have is the determining factor. If you want cool and quiet,get a Swiftech and put the fans in any direction you want.
Corsair Air 540 -i7 4930k @ 4.4ghz. Liquid cooled-4x4gb G Skill Trident X DDR3@ 2400mhz- Two EVGA Titans SLI - Xonar Phoebus Sound Card-Dell 3008 30" Monitor-Razer Tiamat Headphones-Butt Kicker Gamer-TrackIR 5

Last edited by Slik; November 10, 2013 at 05:04 PM. Reason: add info.
Old November 10, 2013, 05:26 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supergrover View Post
I ran the same test years ago and again same thing, cools the loop and increases the components, here is the balancing act. Personally I have not had any issues with RAM/NB/Vrms overheating in modern systems, if they start to climb simple Increase the output , swap to a higher exasut fan/fans. If you are super worried about "board" temps again simple add a fan to blow over the MOBO.

If you add +10c to the Mobo /ram/ect temps will that effect your Overclock? Doubtful.
If you add +10c to your CPU/GPU temps will that effect your OC? Probably.

My 0.02 anyways based on readings done quite sometime ago.

EDIT: And Ninjaed by Lowfat....

Agreed Grover.....as said my GPU's run cooler with my upper 360 Rad drawing fresh air in....as for mobo cooling its a non issue with X79 RIVE vs my old X58 Classified as my NB runs 10c cooler than my X58 Classy.....SB n Mosfets also run cooler ;)

Slik....yes that H220 is good, but with your mild OC an H100i (and likely an H80i) would handle that just fine ....once pushing 4.9 - 5 Ghz a little more cooling is a must......for myself going back to SLi vs Tri SLi is really going to cool things down !!
Old November 10, 2013, 06:13 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
Agreed Grover.....as said my GPU's run cooler with my upper 360 Rad drawing fresh air in....as for mobo cooling its a non issue with X79 RIVE vs my old X58 Classified as my NB runs 10c cooler than my X58 Classy.....SB n Mosfets also run cooler ;)

Slik....yes that H220 is good, but with your mild OC an H100i (and likely an H80i) would handle that just fine ....once pushing 4.9 - 5 Ghz a little more cooling is a must......for myself going back to SLi vs Tri SLi is really going to cool things down !!
I had a couple of Corsair coolers and while they worked and cooled just fine,there was that noise thing I'm hung up on.lol.
Corsair Air 540 -i7 4930k @ 4.4ghz. Liquid cooled-4x4gb G Skill Trident X DDR3@ 2400mhz- Two EVGA Titans SLI - Xonar Phoebus Sound Card-Dell 3008 30" Monitor-Razer Tiamat Headphones-Butt Kicker Gamer-TrackIR 5
Old November 10, 2013, 06:43 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by draemn View Post
Positive pressure is great for reducing the dusting requirements if you use good filters. As for the cooling, I'd say the jury is still out to lunch on the positive vs negative. The main thing to improve cooling is (as pointed out above) the direction of airflow and how it moves around inside the case. Give a case good unobstructed cooling that flows from one end to the other, that air is going to much more effective at cooling.

Air will move where you tell it to move for the most part but it will also move to the path of least resistance which would include any exhaust holes etc. If you have more pressure coming in it has no choice but to exit the case in the fastest easiest way it can.

I wish I had one of those tools the tinbashers use to balance the air in buildings and houses. It's a very sensitive fan that can read air speed etc and it costs around 1000 bux. I can feel the smallest amount of air coming through the front bezel of my case.

Having dealt with HVAC and Exhaust fan systems I can tell you for certain air will go up or down and it will always take the path of least resistance. Keep in mind these are enormous buildings not a little old computer case :) Exhaust fans simply help air move in the direction you really want.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old November 10, 2013, 06:48 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Thanks for the feed back everyone it's a topic that certainly interests me!
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old November 10, 2013, 08:29 PM
Hall Of Fame

doh radiant heat isn't air controlled eg GPU
Quote:
Radiant heat consists of invisible electromagnetic waves which are able to pass through a vacuum. These waves are partly reflected and partly absorbed by objects on which they fall. The part which is absorbed becomes converted into heat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scienceuniverse101.blogspot.ca
There is a third process of heat transmission which does not require a material medium. This is called radiation, and is the same means by which energy travels from the sun across the empty space beyond earth's atmosphere.

Last edited by KaptCrunch; November 10, 2013 at 08:35 PM.
Old November 10, 2013, 11:01 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I know exactly what radiant heat is I just installed 10x 50 footers. What's your point?

GPU's are cooled by conduction not radiation air flow simply moves the heat from one body to another and/or one place to another. Fortunately heat always moves to cold making water a very good medium.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old November 11, 2013, 08:51 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

I saw a white paper from ASUS about their mobo's and it said a 10c increase in ambient temp meant a 50% increase in the likelihood of premature failure. I read this a few years ago and I'm trying to find it.

Put that in your pipe and smoke it.
Old November 11, 2013, 06:02 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default few screenshots

Been idling all day so it's accurate.
Hope these are legible:
Idle temps.

Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.