Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 9, 2013, 11:53 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
100% disagree. You'll find most of the watercooling world will agree w/ me. Having a high case temp is meaningless when you have your GPUs and CPU watercooled. It really doesn't matter if your RAM, PCH, HDDs, and VRMs run 10C warmer.

This argument yet again......I completely agree with lowfat....my 320 is set up in Push / Pull drawing cool air thru the Rad and forcing it over my Mobo "into" the Case.....excellent results here....I also have 3 x 120mm fans drawing air into the case (from the front)....only 1 Exhaust Fan .....Positive Pressure FTW.

Squeets, I'm also running Tri SLi GPU's so I need all the help I can get,,,,,and the bottomline running my Rad in your config not only "increases" my CPU OC Temps but also increases my 3 GPU Temps across the Board....so its my turn....NUFF SAID :)

Old November 9, 2013, 03:13 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeetard View Post
I refuse to believe this. Therefore I shall substitute my own reality for yours.

Might be lower at the start but your components will slowly heat up.

Did you check you hard drive temps before and after?

TLDR; Bullshit.

Tell me which tests to run and I'll screen shot them :P

according to HW monitor:

cpu is idling at 27 (core temps)
gpu is 34
hdd's are both 30
northy is 44
Air coming through the rad into the case is reading 28.4

I've been playing games for the last 2 hours.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old November 10, 2013, 11:06 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

I've got the exact same temps as you for gpu and cpu, been gaming all morning. But all my other components are lower. HDD is 27, Northy is 36
Why? Because I'm not blowing hot air onto them.
Look, it's no secret you'll get lower temps in your loop because you are pulling colder air through the rad, but it is not worth it.
Old November 10, 2013, 12:05 PM
MVP

My System Specs

temps are overall quite decent if what he says is true but yeh it still does not make sence, WAY more air going in then out just doe snot add up, giving no place for said air to go AND forcing it to direct in a very harsh angle does not make sense either. Yes turbulent airflow can help cooling as it gives more surface area, but it can also create drag and or dead air pockets, game on it for many hours and see temps climbing that's the only way to know if it is truly cooling better. Even if pushing air out the top vs pulling in from top causes it to be a hair warmer initially, over time it probably will be the opposite.

Fact of the matter is most cases and setups do not promote smooth air flow in and out to much air, not enough direction in the flow will hinder things, better to have fewer fans doing what they should then trying to ram the air all over the place and expect one fan to try to get rid of it all, well unless you have some 300cfm fan to "make up" the difference that is lol.

I know corsair recommends doing this as well, pushing air into the rad from the outside will keep the rad itself cooler, but that does mean pushing that heat into the case does it not make sense to let the air take whatever heat it can OUT and not push some of it back constantly?
Old November 10, 2013, 02:03 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Ok but just to make sure people understand Positive Air pressure this is the best example I can give. When you enter into a large building skyscraper/mall/warehouse/etc You feel air coming out of the building like a small woosh of wind/light breeze. The air pressure; however minimal, will find a way out... it has to. Essentially forcing the bad air out... all buildings are constructed like this even your houses if they are current to code that is.

My northy is hot because of overclock and increased voltage too btw when it's running stock its much lower.

I'll try and get some screenshots later tonight when I'm gaming and post the temps etc.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old November 10, 2013, 02:38 PM
"Quote This..."
F@H

You are all trying to convince me that the best way to cool something is to blow hot air on it. Not in my blue sky world.
You are looking solely at the temps of the stuff cooled by the loop. That is far from the whole story. What about the memory? the vrm's? They get very hot and are crucial to a stable overclock.
The positive pressure thing is BS too. Remove the side of the case and watch your temps drop.
Old November 10, 2013, 02:57 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Positive pressure is great for reducing the dusting requirements if you use good filters. As for the cooling, I'd say the jury is still out to lunch on the positive vs negative. The main thing to improve cooling is (as pointed out above) the direction of airflow and how it moves around inside the case. Give a case good unobstructed cooling that flows from one end to the other, that air is going to much more effective at cooling.
Old November 10, 2013, 03:13 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

If your just after CPU/gpu temps then using cold air will help, but I have to agree that it has to increase temps on all other components. To what degree and if it truely matters I don't know.
Old November 10, 2013, 03:43 PM
"Quote This..."
F@H

This whole bullshit theory is predicated on the fact that cooling the cpu and gpu cores is the only thing that matters. And I reject that.
Old November 10, 2013, 03:56 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeetard View Post
This whole bullshit theory is predicated on the fact that cooling the cpu and gpu cores is the only thing that matters. And I reject that.
It all that matters to me. Memory doesn't run hot and doesn't benefit from extra cooling. As long as VRMs have any airflow they are fine. Having them run 10C cooler isn't going to help anything. Maybe if you are running an X58 or older board it might. But these days they don't run all that hot.