Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 7, 2013, 02:54 PM
Hall Of Fame

yes you can provided block is attached and power connected

just enough to see get bios screen video then shut down
Old November 7, 2013, 03:43 PM

My System Specs

With a fan blowing over the card you'll have no problem running it in windows as long as you do nothing but idle. I've ran w/o coolant for hours and temps still were manageable.
Old November 7, 2013, 04:05 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I wouldn't give her hell she probably feels bad already . \
I would just be patient and try the blow dryer also
Old November 7, 2013, 06:38 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

you'd be surprised just how much abuse computer components can take before being truly toast... let her dry out for 4 or 5 days. If you are really concerned you could always pour 99% iso directly into PCI-e slots and the cpu pins on the mobo... in fact you could give the entire motherboard an ISO bath and it will aid in removing any hidden water droplets. Braineater has washed countless boards in ISO with no issue. If you have a big enough and deep enough tray to pour an inch or 2 of ISO then let the mobo soak in it for a couple minutes it will be dry and ready for use in under an hour.

Dump the ISO outside on the sidewalk when your done... it will just evaporate.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old November 8, 2013, 12:23 AM
Rookie

I had my wife pick up some 91 percent iso and kinda gave everything a quick rinse. Couldn't get all the thermal compound out of the socket but I did manage to get all the through holes cleared up so there doesn't appear to be any compound where a pin will go. Hoping that's enough to not short my CPU if it isn't dead. I'll probably attempt to reassemble everything tomorrow and pray it actually comes back. My biggest concern would be my GTX 670. While I know that isn't the best card out there these days it was a Christmas present from the wife last year and I'd rather not have to replace it. The MOBO and CPU I can just wait. It is almost Christmas after all lol.
Old December 21, 2013, 02:14 AM
Rookie

Major issue here, the issue being your wife thought it was ok to touch your PC at all.

Totally your fault and not hers. It's your job to tell her to never touch it. Which I do, and my wife never does.

She knows its 100% out of bounds. I would absolutely lose it if she picked it up off the ground, let alone dropped it. You have some work to do dude. This shouldn't of happened.

Tell your wife to have respect and basically screw off with something the knows nothing about.
Old December 21, 2013, 03:51 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

well the last post i thought a little harse i do have to agree my wife and even my ex-wife knows better then to go near my workstation lol. But whats done is done.

I have had several spills of everything over the years and found sodium free distilled water works great remove everything from the board and wash/dunk it in the sink several times then give a very good rinse of iso and get a small space heaters on high blowing on it.

Its no sure fix but i have recovered several board/gpu/ram this way ( one of the ways they clean them in manufacturing )
Old December 21, 2013, 09:07 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasma-0 View Post
Major issue here, the issue being your wife thought it was ok to touch your PC at all.

Totally your fault and not hers. It's your job to tell her to never touch it. Which I do, and my wife never does.

She knows its 100% out of bounds. I would absolutely lose it if she picked it up off the ground, let alone dropped it. You have some work to do dude. This shouldn't of happened.

Tell your wife to have respect and basically screw off with something the knows nothing about.
The shocking part of your comment is you have a wife :0

My wife moves my systems all the time and even has made her own custom water cooled rigs. Why? Cuz instead of being a 1950s ahole I shared a passion for gaming and building systems with her.

Shit happens to treat your computer with more respect then you treat your wife is pure jackassery.

Get off your high horse and by that woman some Damn flowers.

Op again shit happens. If worse comes to worse things are dead email me and I will explain to the manufacturers what happened and 9 times out of 10 they will repair or replace your parts:)

Look at it this way your wife was trying to help not hurt and be happy your not plasma's wife :p
Contests will be done on there from now on :)
http://realhardwarereviews.com/
Always up for a Beer in Calgary or Area

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”

Last edited by Soullessone21; December 21, 2013 at 09:19 AM.
Old December 21, 2013, 09:20 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah, I'm with Soul on this one. No reason to yell at your old lady. What d-bag that guy is. Usually I instruct people, (eg children) not by yelling at them but by teaching them how to do things effectively.

Or, you know, you could cry over spilt milk, yell at your life partner and I'm sure that'll fix the computer AND your relationship. More likely it'll just get you a divorce.
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old December 21, 2013, 02:07 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

LOLS

Z87 here I come :)

I caught my water cooled build in mid air once :)