Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 18, 2013, 02:41 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Is it worth water cooling my system?

Hi Guy's,

Just wondering if I could benefit from water cooling my current system. My goal is to get the most out of my hardware by OC but also maintaining a stable system. So far I've been able to achieve the following :

CPU:4.4GHz max temp @ 60
video card:1120/1475MHz w. 1.225v max temp @ 72

I think that my temps are pretty good as is on air, just wondering what other benefits I could gain going LC ?

Thanks,
Old October 18, 2013, 04:47 PM
MVP

My System Specs

prolly see a better temp on that GPU with the right block, but that's talking full custom loop...

and then the discussion is really more about willingness to spend all that cash.
Old October 18, 2013, 04:51 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

As someone who spent about 1k on a loop I would say water cooling is only worth the novelty. So it's worth it if you can afford it. If not it's mostly just for show or silence.

You might be able to push your oc's a bit further and yes it can provide better temps but are they necessary? Probably not. Will your oc's make any real world difference? Probably not.

While water cooling was fun I probably won't be doing it ever again.
Old October 18, 2013, 05:21 PM
MVP

My System Specs

its a $ thing. I would like a cooler running room and liquid does help to absorb it faster and retain it a bit better but as far as its cooling potential, well that does depend on the cpu in question some will see insane benefits others not nearly as much, where it really shines apparently is for GPU cooling as there is many parts on the gpu that can get quite hot not nearly as much surface to cover on a cpu, so, worth it for the cooling potential on cpu, not really not much overall difference cooling potential on the current loops and a nice high end air cooler and in some cases the air cooling seems to be more stable temps easier to manage. GPU however even the best air cooled gpu simply cannot touch a good liquid loop for gpu cooling simply the surface area.

the cooler has a "core" and pipes that contact with the heat producing area, air coolers can only suck in so much heat and though they can wick it away very well it is a "small" area to catch with a large area to dissipate, where with the liquid it is a large surface area with a smaller area to get rid of the heat (generally speaking) so I am quite certain unless you clock up the cpu like mad if you take an average cpu say 2500k or FX8320 and slap a good air cooler or decent liquid and run for a few hours the coolers will have near same performance and out of the box the air will be quieter for this performance not to mention less $, where for gpu say a Radeon 7870 or GTX480 liquid or air, the liquid will win hands down in regards to noise, full card temperatures(with a proper full cover block) though obviously is going to cost the $ to do so.

The performance benefit from any decent cpu and decent cooler clocked up is not that large a difference say 200-400mhz best average gain for a huge amount of extra power required and not much translated performance, where a decent gpu clocked up via air or water there can be 100-280mhz gain but that amount is huge from a modern gpu.

Anyways, is it worth it, not really the cost to whats given in return is very little beyond looks and a slight better clocking potential or a lower average temperature at same clocks with my cpu currently I idle 28-35c 40-52c with a hyper 212+ P/P if I were running H110 I might be 24-30c 32-43c and get an extra 100 or so MHz, anyways long story short, up to you, many do, but there is many things to take into account, cost, unit in question, and of course potential damage if things go wrong. Worse that happens with aircooling fan dies or it gets dusty, liquid, well pump can fail, block gets messed up with time, dries out, fans fail, or lord forbid it leaks.
Old October 18, 2013, 06:03 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

A custom loop will get you a bigger OC on both GPU and CPU (along with potentially better temps), but your performance gains over what you have now will likely result in single digit % improvements. If you have the money, time, and desire it can be worth it for the challenge. If you are trying get more out of the system to make it last longer (save money) you would likely be fighting a loosing battle...just save the money and upgrade the computer a bit sooner or to something faster when it comes time to upgrade.
Old October 18, 2013, 06:26 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond007 View Post
A custom loop will get you a bigger OC on both GPU and CPU (along with potentially better temps), but your performance gains over what you have now will likely result in single digit % improvements. If you have the money, time, and desire it can be worth it for the challenge. If you are trying get more out of the system to make it last longer (save money) you would likely be fighting a loosing battle...just save the money and upgrade the computer a bit sooner or to something faster when it comes time to upgrade.
Not necessarily. You could spend all the money in the world have a pump thats too small or a rad that is too big and just will not dissipate heat well enough.

The current AIO systems out are plenty for most cpu overclocking and in this day and age there is a point in overclocking that just does not yield any higher results.

The large numbers may look good but you are just simply wasting heat and electricity for minimal benefits.
Old October 18, 2013, 06:47 PM

My System Specs

Watercooling a CPU alone is never worth it anymore IMO. You never will see gains in terms of overclocking over air. Or really even a decrease in noise.

However GPUs are completely different. You can't have good overclocks and have it remain silent ever with air cooling. My rig is in audible. My fans run at 800rpm or less and the pump at 1200rpm. Yet I still have a 50%+ overclock on my video card, which runs full load 24/7 rock solid stable.

You also don't need to spend $1000 to have a good loop. Nor is there such a thing as a radiator being too large.
Old October 18, 2013, 06:53 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I currently have over $1k in watercooling gear sitting here. it's a hobby in and of itself really. Personally I hate the look of massive chunks of metal hanging off my CPU. Even with all my gear my rig is only running on the bios auto-overclock. Sometimes I get bored I overclock and see what I can get it to.

I do however believe there is viable benefit from putting SLI or Crossfire cards on water since they're really not well designed to run on air in the configuration.

Really if you've got the desire, time, and disposable then go for it, always nice to see another rig under water.
Old October 18, 2013, 07:13 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I'd say the extra performance gain is never proportionally worth the cost. It's about silence, aesthetics or just wanting to squeeze every last bit of potential out of your components. Or you simply love pc building and want to take it to it's absolute limits. For me the most fun I get out of it is cracking a beer, cranking some tunes, and the experience of putting it together.
Old October 18, 2013, 07:28 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Not necessarily. You could spend all the money in the world have a pump thats too small or a rad that is too big and just will not dissipate heat well enough.
True enough... I was making an assumption that the custom loop was done correctly. Too many factors and too much cost for me to get involved in water cooling.