Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 18, 2013, 08:33 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
Watercooling a CPU alone is never worth it anymore IMO. You never will see gains in terms of overclocking over air. Or really even a decrease in noise.
This is semi-off topic from the OP, but....

As mentioned elsewhere in this discussion, I dislike the big air coolers hanging off my motherboards. If water cooling is a little bit better, does not put all that stress on the motherboard, and is not obscenely expensive, then it is worth considering.

There days, an acceptable prepackaged water cooling solution is not much more than a half-decent air cooler for CPUs. That makes it worth consideration.
Old October 18, 2013, 08:55 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Wow so much feedback!!

I think for now I will save the coin and focus on purchasing a new GPU within the next 6 months, then maybe get an AIO kit and water cool my CPU just to get some exposure to water cooling and to say I've done it without it costing me too much....

Thanks for the advice !
Old October 19, 2013, 06:59 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

I bought my Swiftech kit for $300 over 10 years ago. Never had an issue with it in at least 4 builds. Just need to buy new gpu blocks. Love it. One thing you guys aren't considering is noise. Water cooling is infinitely quieter than air.
Old October 19, 2013, 08:42 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeetard View Post
I bought my Swiftech kit for $300 over 10 years ago. Never had an issue with it in at least 4 builds. Just need to buy new gpu blocks. Love it. One thing you guys aren't considering is noise. Water cooling is infinitely quieter than air.
* can be quieter than air.
Old October 19, 2013, 09:10 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

Pfffft. I just tested 7970's, A pair of Sapphire dual X's and a pair of MSI twin frozer III's before I put blocks on them. Loud as hell when they ramp up. And these are supposed to be quieter than stock fans. Now they are dead silent.
Old October 19, 2013, 11:34 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by guilly View Post
Hi Guy's,

Just wondering if I could benefit from water cooling my current system. My goal is to get the most out of my hardware by OC but also maintaining a stable system. So far I've been able to achieve the following :

CPU:4.4GHz max temp @ 60
video card:1120/1475MHz w. 1.225v max temp @ 72

I think that my temps are pretty good as is on air, just wondering what other benefits I could gain going LC ?

Thanks,
An i5 with a 7850? Nope.
Old October 20, 2013, 09:50 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

if you want to try water cooling I'd suggest buying used gear off the forums from reputable users. Then once you've tasted the watercooling drug you can spend moooooore! :)

Full on hobby and I personally don't miss the vid card fan noise or the heat.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old October 20, 2013, 10:23 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Yea the spending never stops in my case. Just looking at the stuff I need to finish this upgrade and it's looking like about another $800 just in blocks and fittings lol
Old October 21, 2013, 07:26 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by guilly View Post
My goal is to get the most out of my hardware by OC but also maintaining a stable system.
In your case it would depend if you are already at max capability or your chip or there still room left to take advantage of a more efficient cooling system.
HTPC Build: Final Video
Old October 28, 2013, 09:24 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birk View Post
Yea the spending never stops in my case.
LOL. I agree. I started out WC on budget but ended up spending more than i had planned. There is always something that had to be added or upgraded, I would finish an upgrade and would move on planning for another upgrade.