Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 1, 2013, 10:31 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Question Coolant Question

I just started watercool for my rig a few weeks ago, bought most of my stuff from dazmode, and using his PROTECTOR as coolant in my loop, which contains ethylene glycol. I am wondering if this is the best choice for my watercooling components, I want them to last as long as they can, with no clogging. I have no dye in my loop and don't plan to do it (I have color tubing).

I have nickel plated acrylic EK supremacy cpu block, I have read there was problem with the old nickel plated, so I am worry if I use the wrong coolant might affect my components.

I am fully aware of the alcohol can destroy my acrylic, so I am very careful not to have them mix together when cleaning.

if I continue to use dazmode PROTECTOR (ethylene glycol), how long before I should move it out of my loop before seeing sign of stain or any type of discoloring?

Last edited by lxxl; October 1, 2013 at 10:56 AM.
Old October 1, 2013, 11:16 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Are you mixing the protector with Distilled water? I dont think you'd want to run just protector through the loop.

I used DI water and protector in my loop for 2 years with no issues after making sure to thoroughly rinse everything before the build. I would suggest tossing in a silver kill coil though. I was a bit late to the game putting one in but it was still okay.

This time around I'm running Mayhem Pastel with DI water through and not seeing much difference in temps.
Old October 1, 2013, 11:30 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Good to hear you ran well with the protector, how often do you change the coolant?

Yes, using 1 bottle of protector mixing with 2L of distilled water. I have swiftech radiators and I did 10+ rinse/shakes through with hot distilled water until all dirts are out of them.

I do not have a silver kill coil, I wasn't sure if it will affect the nickel plating on my blocks.
Old October 1, 2013, 11:34 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

I actually had the same coolant (topped up as it evaporated) running for nearly 2 years without a full flush. My tubing was a bit of a mess after that long but my blocks, pump and rad are all fine. My best advice would be to relax a bit once you've got it up and running. I've had loops off and on for the past 9 years and never had any issues with anything. I do know it can be a little nerve racking to start and there is always that period in a new loop that I am checking it every few minutes even after a leak test but it's very rarely any issue.
Old October 1, 2013, 11:50 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

that's a long time with the same liquid, I am surprised but in a good way.

I have color tubing so I shouldn't be seeing any discoloring in them, I hope.

My system has been running for almost 2 weeks now, everything seems to be good, no leaks yet. I am still keeping my eyes on it like you said just in case of any leaks. The temps are nice compare to what I had with the All-in-ones.

Lots of money spent, and I want this to last me as long as it can, you know what I mean.
Old October 1, 2013, 11:58 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'm running flat distilled water with no additives at all, or killcoil. Have been for ~4 years, with a flush and rebuild once about a year ago. Ive had zero issues with growth, and my system has been off and idle for upwards of two to three weeks while on vacation.

Maybe I've just been lucky, or more likely people just minimize their chances by using additives. I mean really all that happens if you run into problems is a rebuild, but obviously you want to reduce the number of times you rebuild since its very time consuming to rip off all your blocks, clean, and replace tubing.
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old October 1, 2013, 12:17 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I think using proper distilled water resolves a lot of issues folks had with earlier loops, plus the fact that blocks have come a long way.

Personally, I run distilled + a couple of drops of petra and never had an issue that wasn't based on tubing and even that was minimal.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old October 1, 2013, 12:23 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
I think using proper distilled water resolves a lot of issues folks had with earlier loops, plus the fact that blocks have come a long way.

Personally, I run distilled + a couple of drops of petra and never had an issue that wasn't based on tubing and even that was minimal.

I think you're bang on here. A lot of people are intimidated to get into water cooling but honestly it's pretty straight forward, there are so many tutorials out there now to help you learn what to do and what not to do for new people who are getting into this all.
Old October 1, 2013, 12:34 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

A lot of the stuff I read are older posts from 2005-2009, I am not sure if it's fully accurate since a lot of stuff have been changed/updated.

I have also seen some nasty pictures with their loop clogged up, that is the last thing I want to see in my loop.
Old October 1, 2013, 12:36 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I think you'd be pretty unlucky to have that happen now.

Keep your loop out of direct sunlight also though, that is one tip that is probably still good to keep in mind.