Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 12, 2013, 03:00 AM
Rookie

Default New to watercooling.

Hi. I am wondering if i put on a backplate for this card would it void the warrenty cause its sticker is covering a screwhole? View image: IMG 20130911 154609 (1)
Also I want to do a build similar to this one http://cwsmgmt.corsair.com/media/cat...0d_sidef_5.png however im going with a single loop config. Anyone would be kind enough to tell me which fittings are on those would be nice.
Old September 12, 2013, 04:17 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Those are bitspower fittings I believe.
Old September 12, 2013, 05:18 AM
Hall Of Fame

yes will void warranty on sticker

Bitspower
Old September 12, 2013, 06:00 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Yes the fittings are Bitspower.

For the backplate issue are you watercooling your card or do you just want to put a backplate and stay aircooled? If you're going with water, then yes you'll have to break the warranty seal to remove the stock cooler and install the waterblock but if you're staying aircooled and just want to install a backplate you just have to not use this screw hole when you secure the backplate in place.
Old September 12, 2013, 04:05 PM
Top Prospect

Nice looking build in the 900. Huge case though. Take a look at the Phantek Enthoo Primo case. This is slightly smaller and aimed specifically at watercoolers. I am swapping out my Switch 810 case for the Phantek next month.
The Switch 810 is also a good case for watercooling. I have a 360 at the top with push pull, a 140 rad at the bottom and a 120 at the back which was enough for a pair of GTX 670's and a 3770K.

The 900 is a great case so don't let me put you off that though.

Regarding the label, sometime you can gently lift off the label without breaking it, so if it needs to go back it can.
EVGA have a great policy for their cards, even if you have taken off the original cooler and used a block.

Regarding fittings, I have recently moved over to rigid acrylic tubes and ghost fittings by Primochill. Take a look at their stuff, it is extremely nice and easy to work with once you get the hang of bending warm acrylic tubes...

Good luck.
Old September 12, 2013, 04:19 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Footman View Post
Nice looking build in the 900. Huge case though. Take a look at the Phantek Enthoo Primo case. This is slightly smaller and aimed specifically at watercoolers. I am swapping out my Switch 810 case for the Phantek next month.
The Switch 810 is also a good case for watercooling. I have a 360 at the top with push pull, a 140 rad at the bottom and a 120 at the back which was enough for a pair of GTX 670's and a 3770K.

The 900 is a great case so don't let me put you off that though.

Regarding the label, sometime you can gently lift off the label without breaking it, so if it needs to go back it can.
EVGA have a great policy for their cards, even if you have taken off the original cooler and used a block.

Regarding fittings, I have recently moved over to rigid acrylic tubes and ghost fittings by Primochill. Take a look at their stuff, it is extremely nice and easy to work with once you get the hang of bending warm acrylic tubes...

Good luck.
This is going to be my first water cooling build and also first acrylic build. Any suggestions on working with acrylic
Old September 12, 2013, 04:26 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by coalminer071 View Post
This is going to be my first water cooling build and also first acrylic build. Any suggestions on working with acrylic
acrylic rez ok but tubing for rest of loop avoid
Old September 14, 2013, 01:56 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

get the card really warm if you can and move the sticker down a little... should help keep it from tearing.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old September 15, 2013, 01:04 PM
Rookie

thanks all
Old September 16, 2013, 10:05 AM
Rookie

Warranties on after market mods depends on the manufacturer. For example, it's not mentionned anywhere on their warranty policy, but i've read that Asus will honor warranties as long as the problems are not caused by user modification. Also EVGA and XFX mentions in their own policies that you are allowed to put water blocks on their GPUs; again, as long as issue is not related the the waterblock. So the card just breaks = OK. But water leaked onto card and fried it or you beak something while adding the waterblock = NOT OK.

I had watercooled XFX 5850 and 7970 just break on me. No leaks or apparent damage, they just decided to stop working. I explained this to XFX rep and they honored the warranty(after they checked it) because the problems was with the cards and had nothing to do with my watercooling it.

Just keep the original heasink fan because they require it when you send it back.