Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 4, 2013, 11:56 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default Fan Controller Query

Hi guys
Still tossing around some ideas for my next "upgrade".....I wont be diving into "full blown" WC Loops, however I an looking at ordering a Swiftech h320.
So, upgrade will include:
1. Corsair 900D (Big, but in the event I do decide to play with WC Loops in the future I'll be set, I believe in purchasing 1 Case every 5 yrs or so )
2. Swiftech h320 3 x 120mm Rad (to fit up top in 900D)

Now, I'm planning on mounting my 6 Noctua NF Fans in push / pull on the h320 Rad and am looking at also hooking these fans along with the additional Case Fans ( 3 x 120mm and 1 x 140mm) into a decent, "non evasive / pimped out" Fan Controller.

I really do like this Lamptron FC9 5 Channel Controller
Lamptron FC9 5.25in Bay 4 Channel 50 Watts Per Channel Fan Controller 7 Colors LED - Black

Obviously 50W per channel is adequate to run a number of Fans off of 1 Channel....I would like to run 3 Fans on one Channel.

So, do I just use a series of 4 Pin Splitters to link up 3 Fans to one to plug into the Fan Controller?
As in 2 Fans to 1 splitter...then another splitter from that splitter and 3rd Fan to my Controller?

Seems a 3 Way splitter would be better, but no idea where to get those from.

Thanks

Really would like to see if I can get my 3930k to 4.8 - possible 4.9 Ghz with this H320 Cooler. I can presently get to 4.8 Ghz Stable, but running LinX with my H100i and only 3 Fans (cant mount the 4th Fan due to space restrictions in my TJ09) things get really toasty when Stress Testing ...mid 80's on a couple of Cores with 1.4v.

Old September 4, 2013, 01:35 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

I don't know if you have PMW fans or not but if not then you could use THIS
Old September 4, 2013, 02:07 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

The Noctua NF F Aeries fans are all 4 Pin PWM Fans, I do have a bunch of 2 way 4 Pin PWM Y Splitters and extensions (they come packaged with the fans.
I could run 2 of the PWM Y Splitters too the single channel (effectively running 3 of the fans to a single channel on the Fam Controller), just not sure if this method is acceptable. It should be noted the Fan Controller requires 3 Molex cables plugged into it (off of one single Molex cable I'm assuming from PSU).

Old September 4, 2013, 03:26 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I like the lamptron stuff high watts per channel etc. Simple look and manual dials opposed to software driven fan controllers that can be buggy. I bought two way splitters from memx for my aging fan controller and haven't had any issues with them. Theres some decent 2,3 and 4 way PWM splitters out there too. Check Frozencpu.com
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old September 4, 2013, 05:01 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Yeah okay thanks, I think Ill simply try out 3 of the Noctuas to one Controller through a series if 2 way splitters (2 of em for 3 fans n one Controller should work.

From what I understand plugging the PWM 4 Pin Fan Headers into the Controller should be fine, just means no PWM control but just the voltage/ manual speed control correct?

This Lamptron I'm looking at has only 3 Pin Headers per Controller