Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 19, 2013, 06:04 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default Top case fans as intake

Hey guys... Just finishing up my build here using a bitfenix shinobi XL case

I have a 360 top mounted rad and a 240 front mounted rad

I know its better to have positive air pressure in a case than negative air pressure so with that being said if I set up my 240 rad that mounted on the front as INTAKE and top mounted rad fans as EXHAUST than i'm going to have negative air pressure.

Now I know heat rises.... but do you think it would make that big of a difference if I use my top 3 fans as intakes and front 2 fans as exhaust instead?

Thanks
Old August 19, 2013, 06:15 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Because of the amount of leaked air (plus the fan) on the back panel, I doubt that config would give you positive pressure.

Have you considered adding an extra intake or two on the bottom of the case? I don't know how yours is laid out, but I know that case will accommodate additional fans on the bottom. If you exhaust from the top rad, and intake from front, bottom and rear... you're golden.
Old August 19, 2013, 06:23 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caldezar View Post
Because of the amount of leaked air (plus the fan) on the back panel, I doubt that config would give you positive pressure.

Have you considered adding an extra intake or two on the bottom of the case? I don't know how yours is laid out, but I know that case will accommodate additional fans on the bottom. If you exhaust from the top rad, and intake from front, bottom and rear... you're golden.
there is two 120mm fan slots in the bottom... but the one closer to the front wont fit a fan because of the rad and I was thinking of adding a 4 bay HDD cage on the bottom of the case as I had to remove the orignal cage for the rad... but I guess i'm just going to have to add a fan instead..

the other thing that sucks is I bought all corsair AF/SP fans and the rings are now all hidden because of the config lol

having the top fans as intakes shows off the rings which looks awesome but I'd rather the edge be performance over looks
Old August 19, 2013, 07:14 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by esberelias View Post
there is two 120mm fan slots in the bottom... but the one closer to the front wont fit a fan because of the rad and I was thinking of adding a 4 bay HDD cage on the bottom of the case as I had to remove the orignal cage for the rad... but I guess i'm just going to have to add a fan instead..

the other thing that sucks is I bought all corsair AF/SP fans and the rings are now all hidden because of the config lol

having the top fans as intakes shows off the rings which looks awesome but I'd rather the edge be performance over looks
You should see the ring on the rear exhaust and also if you setup you top exhaust fans on the rad like this

You should also see the rings on those too.

Folding Build 1 : White Asylum (Case Labs SM8)
Folding Build 2 : Ergo Proxy (Case Labs SMH10)
Folding Build 3 : Hurrikaine (Case Labs S8)
Gaming Build : Alexstrasza’s Shrine (Case Labs S5)
Old August 19, 2013, 08:06 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

unfortunately the fans are top side :( the XSPC rad it such a monster I can't fit a set of fans from the inside lol

bitfenix made it 'rad friendly' but didn't really put too much thought into it

P.S is that your rig?? because that looks pretty awesome so far
Old August 19, 2013, 08:56 PM
Hall Of Fame

With that setup you will have neither negative OR positive air pressure in that case.

You need to decide one way or another..
Old August 19, 2013, 09:06 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by esberelias View Post
unfortunately the fans are top side :( the XSPC rad it such a monster I can't fit a set of fans from the inside lol

bitfenix made it 'rad friendly' but didn't really put too much thought into it

P.S is that your rig?? because that looks pretty awesome so far
Bummer

Yes it's my current project thanks

Folding Build 1 : White Asylum (Case Labs SM8)
Folding Build 2 : Ergo Proxy (Case Labs SMH10)
Folding Build 3 : Hurrikaine (Case Labs S8)
Gaming Build : Alexstrasza’s Shrine (Case Labs S5)
Old August 20, 2013, 05:17 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Air IN from the front,bottom [if there's an opening],side [if there is one],and OUT,or exhaust through the rear and top of the case. Every one of the "botique" high end builders recommend that configuration.Google that info and I'm sure you will see the vast majority of enthusiast rigs are designed that way.
Corsair Air 540 -i7 4930k @ 4.4ghz. Liquid cooled-4x4gb G Skill Trident X DDR3@ 2400mhz- Two EVGA Titans SLI - Xonar Phoebus Sound Card-Dell 3008 30" Monitor-Razer Tiamat Headphones-Butt Kicker Gamer-TrackIR 5
Old August 20, 2013, 07:56 AM
Hall Of Fame

think this why would you want to heat up the insides by force heat back in to case

better to have cold air flow over innards then rejected heat
Old August 20, 2013, 05:07 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Hey Esberelias,

have you put some fans underneath the top panel... You have to cut part of the top section out like this

Thats what I did to mine.