Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 11, 2013, 02:49 AM
Rookie

Default Pump started to get loud?

Hey guys,

I installed my water cooling system about 3 months ago but the last week or so my pump has gotten louder, is it struggling to get water through the tubes, should I flush it? It's an XSPC X2O 750 Dual 5.25 Bay Reservoir Pump V4. Any suggestions greatly appreciated, would prefer not to have to disassemble everything (I don't yet have a drainage pipe/valve) but this isn't a problem if it's causing the noise.

Thanks!
Old August 11, 2013, 07:37 AM
F@H

My System Specs

More than likely you've picked up some air in the system.

Did you top the res right up to the top? I find that helps with my primochill bay res setup.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old August 11, 2013, 08:18 AM
Top Prospect

Sounds like you have an airlock in your system.
The usual culprit is the rad because it has so many paths, air can be trapped in most of the fins but water can still get thru.
Pumps can become air locked too.
It's possible both are air locked.

You'll will have to detach the rad from the case(unplug your fan(s))
*Loosen the plug for the reservoir* leaving the plug tight pressurizes the loop making it harder for air to escape
Try to hold the rad so the exit is higher entrance
Turn the power on
Shake the living hell out of it (or in this case trapped air)
You may have to do it this a few times until you feel confident that you got all the air out.
Re install rad, plug fans back in and tighten plug on reservoir

If the liquid still isn't moving then your pump has an airlock, in which you will have to twist and turn the reservoir to dislodge the air from inside the pump.
Old August 11, 2013, 10:54 AM
Rookie

Thanks for the replies guys, I'll try that tomorrow. It's 7pm in England and I've started playing games so it'll have to wait!
Old August 11, 2013, 03:19 PM
Hall Of Fame

fluid should be 6mm below rez fill port (black plug with the cros in it) note plug should face the ceiling and be the highest point of loop

lets hope you don't have a leak
Old August 11, 2013, 08:33 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I would suggest not unscrewing the cap and shaking the living hell out of it... Shaking it around isn't a bad idea however. Use the handle end of a screw driver and tap the rad it might loosen the air lock.
Pressure is caused from thermal expansion. Heat is the cause of this so if you are having flow problems in your loop there may be components getting hotter than they should be.
Post a picture of your loop and some specs.

Are you using a pump speed controller?
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old August 14, 2013, 12:03 PM
Hall Of Fame

I don't even stock those any longer. They do not last.

It possible you have air, but many just go bad in about 3 months.
HTPC Build: Final Video
Old August 14, 2013, 04:15 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

have you ripped one apart daz? Too see what the cause is?
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old August 14, 2013, 05:42 PM
Hall Of Fame

No, I was not interested enough to investigate into this pump. I suggest Laing pumps to my customers. Tried and true.

As usual if you cheap out --> pay twice at the end.
HTPC Build: Final Video
Old August 15, 2013, 02:17 AM
Rookie

Again, thanks for the replies, I've not tried anything yet as the sound seems to have quietened, it's filled up probably 4/5ths of the res. I will be getting a new res and pump when I get money, I only got this cheap loop to see the benefits of water cooling whilst keeping cost down.

My loop is below, I know the cables weren't managed so well when that pic was taken but that was before I upgraded my mobo and cpu.