Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 3, 2013, 01:26 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

ross I found a site that sells the similar ones to cole-parmer for much less. I asked a couple jmen and they've never had to install anything like that. Boiler systems use a flow indicator that has an attached filter but you guys wont need that with a glycol system.

ITM Instruments Inc. | Leader In Precision Instrumentation.=

ITM Instruments Inc. | Leader In Precision Instrumentation.=

This is how I would do it or something similar. If you give yourself more room on the bypass you can add stuff later with no trouble and the system will spin on while you fix it.

Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.

Last edited by clshades; August 5, 2013 at 06:35 AM. Reason: valve added.
Old August 4, 2013, 01:57 PM
Hall Of Fame

Dammit , I forgot the plans today , I'll bring em tomorrow.

Old August 5, 2013, 09:24 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainEater View Post
Please read carefully.....

I'm helping to build a little glycol loop/cooling system.....prolly in the area of 500 GPM , half-million BTU load....35 feet of head pressure , many different loops.

So....

We're running 4" mains to the loops . each loop goes down to 2" lines .

-----

We are trying to design a 'cheap' monitoring setup.We've got primary pressure and flowrate covered ...Caveat : each main loop expands to 3 sub loops.
.....it's when we start to try to monitor each loop/sub-loop that things get really expensive.

Anyone ever made flow indicators ( just indicator , not measure) ??

How about actual measuring devices ?

--

This is the watercooling section , lets see what yah got !!!

As a maintenance person I'll tell you the cheap way
Hire an Engineering firm and get qualified professionals to install it.

Why

*You'll will be legally responsible for that system if some thing goes wrong.*

When ever you design a system always ask "what happens when it fails"

If any those flow meters fail where is the Glycol going go.
Are you going to contaminate the ingredients or flood your plant with thousands of liters of coolant.
OH&S, Alberta Environment, Environment Canada, AGLC and will slew of other agencies will be looking for who is responsible.

Yes the upfront costs are more but you're less likely to poison someone or the environment which will cost more long term.

I've dealt with these agencies before and they don't play nice.

Whenever I design something I make sure the people using it don't get hurt.
Not just because I would be legally responsible but because I would be miserable the rest of my life for injuring somebody.
Old August 6, 2013, 08:39 PM
Hall Of Fame

the TSSA in Ontario allowed sundown propane to happen even when so called qualified professionals

wise words Frank Encruncher, need to pay a fall guy or liberal member in back pocket

for money and safety don't mix with cheap greedy people
Old August 10, 2013, 08:53 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

The plumbing contractor working on this project is one of the best in town. Alberta also has the best trained plumbers in probably North America. Fact.
In my experience glycol tends to be low pressure. 15-20 psi. The fittings are rated for 600 WOG.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old August 10, 2013, 01:23 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by clshades View Post
The plumbing contractor working on this project is one of the best in town. Alberta also has the best trained plumbers in probably North America. Fact.
In my experience glycol tends to be low pressure. 15-20 psi. The fittings are rated for 600 WOG.
The problem isn't the pressure, it's chemical reactions and temperature.
Any seals would have to be safe to be used with Glycol.

Some manufacturers use lots of fillers in the their seals. They may with stand 200 psi @15C water pressure but may degrade quickly with interacting other chemicals or may shrink because of low temperature.

BrainEater's Glycol cooling system is a critical system to manufacturing process.
You may save a couple of thousands doing it yourself but if it fails how much would cost in lost production, downtime, clean up and repair cost.

There are some things that aren't worth cutting costs on.
Old August 11, 2013, 03:54 PM
Hall Of Fame

make the whole loop out of fabco clear 80 pipe
Old August 11, 2013, 08:24 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Encruncher View Post
The problem isn't the pressure, it's chemical reactions and temperature.
Any seals would have to be safe to be used with Glycol.

Some manufacturers use lots of fillers in the their seals. They may with stand 200 psi @15C water pressure but may degrade quickly with interacting other chemicals or may shrink because of low temperature.

BrainEater's Glycol cooling system is a critical system to manufacturing process.
You may save a couple of thousands doing it yourself but if it fails how much would cost in lost production, downtime, clean up and repair cost.

There are some things that aren't worth cutting costs on.
K... Glycol isn't nearly as nasty as you may think... we run this stuff in regular old pex lines in concrete for hydronics. With standard sweat or pex 600 WOG brass fittings/valves. You can run the same stuff in your water cooling loops and suffer no issues other than cooling performance. Glycol is supreme when dealing with multiple metals to fight corrosion issues (if any exist) There are very little chemical reactions to worry about with glycol man... Temperature expansion is dealt with via diaphragm style expansion tank so it's really not an issue.

Failures are dealt with easily by adding a bypass loop like the picture I posted so metering/measuring fixtures can be maintained or replaced while the system pushes on. Other than a major mechanical failure or standard maintenance there's no way something as simple as a visual flow indicator should shut down a major piece of equipment unless the lack of flow is absolutely required putting lives at stake or major mechanical meltdowns due to lack of flow... that however is a completely different device and needs not be talked about in this thread.

WOG: Water Oil Gas...
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.