Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 1, 2013, 12:02 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

In some scenarios visible flow indicators are required and more reliable than gauges. Both would be optimal.
Ross the biggest you can do on 2" steel is 1" an they are reasonably easy to add as a welded nipple with thread on one side. I personally would drop to half inch if possible.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old August 1, 2013, 12:33 PM
F@H

My System Specs

No idea why you're mentioning Hall Effect sensors as they are used to measure the flow of electrical current not water current.

I've heard people use ultrasonic piezo transducers though I'm not one hundred percent on that matter, though if you're looking for an actual monitoring/control system using a sensor along side an embedded such as a mBed, Ardunio, etc could give you the real time feedback fed to a user GUI...sorry the engineer in me would want to have constant look up of the values if necessary.

Something like Flow Sensor may work, then again connected it to an embedded system and monitor at different points in your loops the flow rate.
Old August 1, 2013, 01:36 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
No idea why you're mentioning Hall Effect sensors as they are used to measure the flow of electrical current not water current.
Ahhhh but they do !

You take a bar magnet and make it spin in a liquid based on flow rate . It provides nice squarewave DC output with a 'hall effect ' sensor on the outside.

Here : F-2000 Sensor Paddle Wheel Flowmeter Product Page.

-----

I played around with a bunch of PVC fittings/sensors/paddles today.

I don't think I can make a reliable sensor .I have 1 thing to try , we'll see.

--

I'm pricing out a whole bunch of different options right now from blue-white......
Fabco Plastics ...check out the flowmeter section.....These guys are in Edmonton.

edit :

Deano , our smallest lines are 1"....we bush down to 3/4" at smallest......Our bigger tanks need 1" minimum . Without shunts like you suggested we cant use small diameter gauges....I'm sorry ,we have (as a committee) refused shunts.

I've got some reading to do.It looks like the largest 'per-tank' piping size is 1 1/4" .....

It's all copper lines down to the 1 1/4 " stuff.......I don't know what happens from there yet , we can't find the spec.....hose is our guess.

------

Pressure gauges are irrelevant except for making sure we don't overpressure the glycol jackets.The rated input pressure is >15 PSI ....I'd suggest 30 PSI would be max....It's only head pressure on the send side , the return is 'gravity feed'.

Last edited by BrainEater; August 1, 2013 at 01:48 PM.
Old August 1, 2013, 01:42 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainEater View Post
Ahhhh but they do !

You take a bar magnet and make it spin in a liquid based on flow rate . It provides nice squarewave DC output with a 'hall effect ' sensor on the outside.
Hmm, never heard of that concept before (they only teach so much in school and measuring water flow is more of a chemical than electrical/electronics), though it would work. Thanks for the added knowledge brain.
Old August 1, 2013, 03:47 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

if its copper piping you can do pretty much anything then. A half inch loop off the 1" will work though... not sure why you want to do 1 inch flow indicators.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old August 2, 2013, 04:52 PM
Hall Of Fame

Deano : The copper lines right down to the 1 1/4 " is all done by our general contractor , to each tank... It's a zero (low low ) pressure system really , but you need x amount of throughput so you need big lines....

Our new 180 HL tanks run 2" , the old tanks (you've seen em ) run 1" .....we have some systems running straight 1 1/4".......While we bush down to 3/4" now on some tanks , we probably shouldn't.

----

Arinoth :

You are very welcome !!

I'm actually in the process of hunting down the right parts to make one of these from scratch . I'm positive I can do it cheaper.I just need the right magnet with a hole in it !!

--

I'm in the process of writing an official proposal , but I'm waiting on callbacks.

We will probably start with mains/zone monitoring to begin with , that's only 6 sensors ..And they will be the good ones.

-----

I need to clarify what I can and cannot say here . If I get permission I'll post a page of the glycol plans , but I cannot promise anything.

edit : Here's an interesting spec.

This system has to have a "Crash cool" capability of 100,000 BTU/hr.

Last edited by BrainEater; August 2, 2013 at 05:10 PM.
Old August 2, 2013, 05:35 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
-----

We are trying to design a 'cheap' monitoring setup.We've got primary pressure and flowrate covered ...Caveat : each main loop expands to 3 sub loops.
.....it's when we start to try to monitor each loop/sub-loop that things get really expensive.

question, what means of monitering? by visual checking or software on a screen ?

make a road map and check points in loop
Old August 2, 2013, 05:44 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1lk1 View Post
Far better off measuring pressure than flow, should be significantly cheaper as well. Gauges should be cheap, drill and tap holes. Should be low cost sending units available somewhere too for setting up wired guages for electronic monitoring. My $.02.
yes but need drawing of complete loop
Old August 2, 2013, 06:05 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:

I'm actually in the process of hunting down the right parts to make one of these from scratch . I'm positive I can do it cheaper.I just need the right magnet with a hole in it !!

only issue need to isolate mag's for galvanic reaction

for monitering use crystalfontz PIC and MAX9621

Last edited by KaptCrunch; August 2, 2013 at 06:13 PM.
Old August 3, 2013, 09:14 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Kapt.... galvanic reaction isn't gonna be an issue. Professional ticketed plumbers are installing everything. Brain is simply trying to add to the existing engineered plans. And gauges can be dropped in virtually anywhere but they must be serviceable with reasonable access.
2nd/ if his company decides to go ahead and install visual flow indicators they will more than likely need to install a bypass loop because you don't want a 100 dollar fitting shutting down an entire section of the brewery.

If i'm reading everything Brain is posting he is basically trying save money on the indicators but needs a decent option for price and reliability
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.