Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 25, 2013, 11:15 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default Will my current pump be enough?

Hey Guys,

My name is Elias & as you can see from my post counter I'm fairly new here :)

I've been a computer guy since the age of 8 but just recently got into watercooling

My current loop consists of

EK-Supremacy - Plexi Nickel
EK-CoolStream RAD XT 240
EK-BAY DCP 2.2 Res & Pump Combo
Corsair AF Series performance edition 120mm fans in push/pull
Primochill white tubing (1/2" ID 3/8" OD)
EK Clear non-conductive coolant

all in a CM Storm Scout mid sized case... if any of you know the case... than you'd know that case had to be heavily modded to support a 240 rad lol

This is my very first ever water loop and I feel a lot more comfortable now having put a loop together so like any enthusiast I want MORE lol

I plan on moving my system over to the Bitfenix Shinobi XL Case and watercooling my GPU (MSI Twinfrozr III 7950) and also adding a 360 rad to the loop.

so my question to you guys would be... Will my 2.2 pump (rated at 400L per hour) be enough to support GPU/CPU loop with a 360 & 240 rad? or would I have to get something like the D5 pump?

I just really want to stick with a 5.25 inch res/pump combo and the EK res looks awesome!

Again, I'm a watercooling n00b so any advice you might have for me, What I should get/replace in my loop would be great! (sorry for the long post fellas)

Thanks in advance :) Cheers

Last edited by esberelias; July 25, 2013 at 11:34 PM.
Old July 26, 2013, 04:23 AM
Hall Of Fame

primochill white tubing (1/2" ID 3/8" OD) you can't have 1/2" ID (= inside dia) when OD is 3/8" correction statement ID 3/8" OD 1/2".

best go with ID 3/8" OD 5/8" so less chance of knincking

Last edited by sswilson; July 26, 2013 at 06:37 AM.
Old July 26, 2013, 02:35 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

That's my bad... typo on my end

I ment 1/2 ID and 3/4 OD

If I go 3/8 ID and 5/8 OD wouldn't I have to change all my fittings?

I don't mind what I got now... It's actually not that bad at all. Haven't had any problems with it knincking on me

what do you thing about the pump scenario?
Old July 26, 2013, 03:06 PM
Hall Of Fame

6ft head, enough for your rad.

how pump is sitting not a good self bleeder
Old July 26, 2013, 03:26 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

no no that loop is gone (in the picture)... I know that pump is good for a 240 but i'm adding a 360 + 240 and watercooling my GPU.. in a bitfenix shinobi XL case
Old July 26, 2013, 04:23 PM

My System Specs

The DCP 2.2 isn't an awful pump. It should be sufficient for what you have planned.
Old July 26, 2013, 04:52 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

head pressure is pretty much irrelevant in water cooling unless you are running the pump significantly higher or lower than your computer. Your pump should handle it fine... I tested a few rads in the past for flow rate and the drop is is barely worth noting.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old July 27, 2013, 08:33 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Well the 360 rad will mount on the roof of the case (close to the pump) which is good... make its way down through the CPU/GPU than the 240 rad is mounted on the bottom of the case back up to res (is what im thinking so far)

I actually had a OCZ Pulse 500 pump laying around... I retrofitted that into the res. which should give me a little bit more head pressure & its rated @ 500l per hour.. It's just bulges out a little to the side so I have to make a square cut into my 5.25" bay

I didn't have to mess with the res its self.. so if that pump craps out I can reuse the 2.2 with no problem :) I'll only have a hole in my 5.25" bay haha
Old July 29, 2013, 07:40 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

like I said before... head pressure is irrelevant man... What goes up must come down so whatever you push up nullifies when it comes back down. The only thing anyone needs to worry about in water cooling a computer is flow rate GPM or LPH. Many pumps are rated for 15-20 feet of head pressure. You're computer is basically zero feet in a looped computer not even 2 feet high. What goes up must come down so the weight of water itself nullifies head pressure in a looped configuration.

Flow restriction and static pressure are about the only things that will cause slow downs in the loop. Radiators cause very little restriction in water cooling... I've tested it.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old July 29, 2013, 09:50 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

That's awesome man... makes total sense! Appreciate the advise!