Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 23, 2013, 03:31 PM
Top Prospect

Default Is there really a noticeable difference?

Not sure if this is the right section, but here goesIs there really a noticeable difference between fans for rads?
I know there is a audible difference, but what about temps?
I'm looking at getting some corsair sp120's for some rads and am wondering if I am going to notice anything other then them being louder then my stock bitfenix 120's
If I drop a few degrees, ill be content
I've had various makes over the years ( even vantec tornados..remember them lol ) and want some user opinion before I drop $100 on some fans
I'm also going to be using some on a pair of coolit elites that I am daisy chaining together
Old July 23, 2013, 03:57 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

well I know that most of it depends on the temperature around the PC or rad, so logically well my logic is that if the air temperature is just below what the water temperature that is going through the rad then I doubt very much there would be any real difference at all. But I cannot really say becasue I am still using the first yates I had when I first started to watercool my pc .
Old July 23, 2013, 04:38 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiTi View Post
Not sure if this is the right section, but here goesIs there really a noticeable difference between fans for rads?
I know there is a audible difference, but what about temps?
I'm looking at getting some corsair sp120's for some rads and am wondering if I am going to notice anything other then them being louder then my stock bitfenix 120's
If I drop a few degrees, ill be content
I've had various makes over the years ( even vantec tornados..remember them lol ) and want some user opinion before I drop $100 on some fans
I'm also going to be using some on a pair of coolit elites that I am daisy chaining together
yes fans can make a huge difference.

its called static pressure.
Old July 23, 2013, 05:06 PM
Top Prospect

That's why I was taking a hard look at the sp120'sLooked to be the best all around at the expense of some noise
The fact they look cool helps too haha
Old July 24, 2013, 03:11 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

My personal preference is noctua. They make NF-F12 PWM high static pressure version. Not as good static pressure as those sp120 but it's much much quieter, by more than an order of magnitude.

I use all noctua fans in my persistent miner and I can't hear them at 100% (mabye that means i'm deaf tho)
Old July 24, 2013, 04:51 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I replaced the stock fans on my h100 with SP120's and it made a huge difference. They are a little quieter and dropped my temps by at least 5 degrees (not sure of the exact number as i haven't done much testing) because the top of my 600t is quite restrictive and the old fans just couldn't move the air through.
Old July 24, 2013, 07:03 AM

My System Specs

I highly suggest going with Gentle Typhoon AP-14s or AP-15s over the Corsairs. They are much better fans. Honestly you can't beat them for radiator fans.
Old July 24, 2013, 08:18 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

This review might help you AnandTech | Choosing the Best 120mm Radiator Fan: Testing Eight Fans with Corsair's H80
Old July 24, 2013, 08:43 AM

My System Specs

Martinm210's fan comparison. You can see for yourself how thr GTs compare to the Corsairs.

Fan Testing Round 12 begins, thanks to cpachris and Prymus. NB e-loop, SP120, NF-F12, Cougar Vortex PWM, Vortex, Red LED, Pirahna, AP-45
Old July 24, 2013, 09:37 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
yes fans can make a huge difference.

its called static pressure.
I didnot know t his hmmmm maybe it is time to switch out my old yates grab a fan controller and get so decent fans