Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 27, 2013, 03:27 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
Not sure what you mean by this.
killcoil is a wire made of 99.9991% silver (UBER PURE KILLCOIL 99.9991% Silver Wire 0.25mm - 250mm) that you put in the reservoir to prevent algae build up. And jumping the PSU: Power supply blew up (Smoking with Fire!) this is done to make the PSU run without having the 24Pin ATX connector plugged into the board. It's done during testing phase to check for leaks and make sure everything runs accordingly.

Am I missing something?
Old May 27, 2013, 04:26 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by hero1 View Post
killcoil is a wire made of 99.9991% silver (UBER PURE KILLCOIL 99.9991% Silver Wire 0.25mm - 250mm) that you put in the reservoir to prevent algae build up. And jumping the PSU: Power supply blew up (Smoking with Fire!) this is done to make the PSU run without having the 24Pin ATX connector plugged into the board. It's done during testing phase to check for leaks and make sure everything runs accordingly.

Am I missing something?
I bolded the part of the post that I didn't understand what you meant by it. I know what a kill coil is.

You said
Quote:
can I just unplug the 24-Pin ATX power cable?
which is what I didn't know what you meant by it.

If you have an old PSU laying around I find bleeding a lot w/ a seperate PSU is a lot easier. That way you don't need to disconnect all the cables from everything in your computer. Just plug the pump in to the spare psu, then jump it.
Old May 27, 2013, 05:51 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
I bolded the part of the post that I didn't understand what you meant by it. I know what a kill coil is.

You said
which is what I didn't know what you meant by it.

If you have an old PSU laying around I find bleeding a lot w/ a seperate PSU is a lot easier. That way you don't need to disconnect all the cables from everything in your computer. Just plug the pump in to the spare psu, then jump it.
The 24-pin ATX motherboard cable: I was wondering whether I can just unplug it from the PSU or jump it? I'll just jump it since I don't have a spare PSU.
Old May 27, 2013, 06:05 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Jump it... green wire to any black wire... easiest is the black wire 2 over from the green wire. Done deal. Just make sure it's not gonna pop out of there and short out on anything (it's almost happened to me)

Kill coil is pointless unless you leave your rig off for weeks at a time. Algae isn't going to grow in moving liquid and a tiny bit of glycol in your loop will prevent anything from growing which is exactly what that Dazmode stuff is.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old May 27, 2013, 07:29 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by clshades View Post
Jump it... green wire to any black wire... easiest is the black wire 2 over from the green wire. Done deal. Just make sure it's not gonna pop out of there and short out on anything (it's almost happened to me)

Kill coil is pointless unless you leave your rig off for weeks at a time. Algae isn't going to grow in moving liquid and a tiny bit of glycol in your loop will prevent anything from growing which is exactly what that Dazmode stuff is.
The hardest thing is that I can't tell which is green and which is black with respect to the Corsair AX850 PSU. It's all black!
Old May 27, 2013, 08:02 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Bleeding 24-pin ATX jump start connector for power supply

Grab one of these the next time you order water cooling stuff. Problem solved.

Kaptcrunch posted a picture didn't he? If someone counts the wires for you from the clip side it will be the same. I am working outta town until Friday so if someone hasn't posted by then I will.

http://marcomiltenburg.com/wp-conten...-Connector.jpg
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.

Last edited by clshades; May 27, 2013 at 08:10 PM.
Old May 27, 2013, 08:30 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Bleeding 24-pin ATX jump start connector for power supply

Grab one of these the next time you order water cooling stuff. Problem solved.

Kaptcrunch posted a picture didn't he? If someone counts the wires for you from the clip side it will be the same. I am working outta town until Friday so if someone hasn't posted by then I will.

http://marcomiltenburg.com/wp-conten...-Connector.jpg
Thanks bud but that item is sold out. I found a forum on OCN that shows how to jump the AX850 PSU. Looks like I am all set. Also, can I forgo the mixture that comes with the kit and just use DW?
Old May 28, 2013, 02:24 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

The package is on the way and I decided to buy s cheap PSU to do the test instead of having to unplug and jump my current setup. Woohoo!
Old May 28, 2013, 04:02 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Yeh DW is fine as long as you keep your rig running more often than not. Flush all your components with DW as well as it's never a bad idea. DW is cheap as all hell too so it's of little consequence if you waste some down the drain. I've decided to use the dongle I bought from Daz to keep my loop pumping when I'm away but I wont have to keep the mobo/vid powered up.

Grats on the cheapo PSU its the easiest way.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old May 28, 2013, 04:07 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Yeh DW is fine as long as you keep your rig running more often than not. Flush all your components with DW as well as it's never a bad idea. DW is cheap as all hell too so it's of little consequence if you waste some down the drain. I've decided to use the dongle I bought from Daz to keep my loop pumping when I'm away but I wont have to keep the mobo/vid powered up.

Grats on the cheapo PSU its the easiest way.
Thanks for advice man. What else am I missing here? Do I need a T-line adapter for draining the loop when I want to expand it? I will also try and see if I can grab a sleeved cable kit to help easy the mounting of a 45mm thick radiator at the top. Why? Because I think I can cool 2 cards and a CPU using 2x240mm radiators. Am I wrong to think this way?

P.S: I just realised that I can take out the PSU from Wife's PC and use that to run the test tomorrow. But, I still will buy a small PSU just for future work. Muahahahaha!

Last edited by hero1; May 28, 2013 at 04:34 PM.