Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 9, 2013, 05:17 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Tubing + fitting advice

I'm planning on a new build and I've water cooled my current rig witch ill give to the my lady. however ive never really thought about what size tubing and compression fittings are the best. I know that the threads need to match male to female. but now browsing ive seen 1/2 in id and 5/8 od having 1/4 thread. how big should i go in tubing?i have good temps when playing games, my cpu never goes above 57 and my GPU never goes above 47 both are in a single loop i am a bit new to watercooling. Any advice would help. Thanks

EK G1/4 Thread Perfect Seal Compression Fitting - 13mm ID x 19mm OD (1/2" x 3/4") - Black - FrozenCPU.com
Old May 9, 2013, 08:20 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warcrimes View Post
I'm planning on a new build and I've water cooled my current rig witch ill give to the my lady. however ive never really thought about what size tubing and compression fittings are the best. I know that the threads need to match male to female. but now browsing ive seen 1/2 in id and 5/8 od having 1/4 thread. how big should i go in tubing?i have good temps when playing games, my cpu never goes above 57 and my GPU never goes above 47 both are in a single loop i am a bit new to watercooling. Any advice would help. Thanks

EK G1/4 Thread Perfect Seal Compression Fitting - 13mm ID x 19mm OD (1/2" x 3/4") - Black - FrozenCPU.com
Tubing size WILL NOT affect your temperatures in any way. In fact, there is little to no benefits from one tubing size to another. It's all about personal preference.

However, I will say that smaller tubing is a lot easier to work with, especially in small cases or when creating bends.
Old May 9, 2013, 03:02 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Like Keltron said, Tubing size is not a real factor temperature wise. Both my computers are watercooled...one with 1/2"ID X 3/4"OD and one with 3/8"ID X 1/2"OD and I have great temps on both setups.

As for the fittings I personnaly work with Bitspower but EK, Koolance or Monsoon are good fittings too...I had some AlphaCool once and had some leaking issues with some.

Hope it helps

Folding Build 1 : White Asylum (Case Labs SM8)
Folding Build 2 : Ergo Proxy (Case Labs SMH10)
Folding Build 3 : Hurrikaine (Case Labs S8)
Gaming Build : Alexstrasza’s Shrine (Case Labs S5)
Work In Progress : Xenomorph (Parvum S2.0)
Old May 9, 2013, 05:20 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

thanks, im currently using 3/8 id 5/8 od. im planning on getting a bigger case , im using a Haf-x i think ill get the Corsair 900d. would seperating the loops help? i plan on building for looks and power next time so im considering Watercooling the mother board, cpu gpu first then eventually my ram. i plan on starting with 3 loops, would that help the temps?
Old May 9, 2013, 08:10 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
thanks, im currently using 3/8 id 5/8 od. im planning on getting a bigger case , im using a Haf-x i think ill get the Corsair 900d. would seperating the loops help? i plan on building for looks and power next time so im considering Watercooling the mother board, cpu gpu first then eventually my ram. i plan on starting with 3 loops, would that help the temps?
3 loops is really overkill!

I don't know what is your setup but here's what I have on my rigs and they are both in single loop

First setup : Ivy Bridge i5-3570K and 2 GTX 560ti...CPU and GPUs have waterblocks...power comes from a single D5 pump and cooled by 2 XSPC RX360 both in push configuration.

Second setup : Ivy Bridge i7-3770K and 2 GTX 670 FTW...CPU, GPUs and Motherboard have waterblocks...power comes from a dual DDC pump (MCP35X2) and cooled by 1 Phobya G-Changer 480 and 1 Phobya G-Changer 360 both in push-pull configuration.

Temps are excellent in the 2 setups.

Watercooling RAM is useless imho but looks good ;)

If your GPUs runs very hot like some GTX 400 series used too or you're doing Tri-SLI...then maybe a dual loop setup would be good.

Sure you can always do a dual loop for the look of it but the temperature gain between a single loop and a dual loop is barely noticeable most of the time.

Folding Build 1 : White Asylum (Case Labs SM8)
Folding Build 2 : Ergo Proxy (Case Labs SMH10)
Folding Build 3 : Hurrikaine (Case Labs S8)
Gaming Build : Alexstrasza’s Shrine (Case Labs S5)
Work In Progress : Xenomorph (Parvum S2.0)
Old May 9, 2013, 08:29 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

thanks for the input .well its as i said im going for looks as well as raw power. currently cooling an i72600k @4.8 Ghz and my 590 gtx hydro copper temps are never higher than 57 for cpu and 47 for gpu, but im going for looks and power. im also considering using 2 loops 1 for video cards i plan 3x Xfire I will OC as high as possible next build i will try to push next cpu to 5GHZ + along with OC ram and Mobo will have a water block. I want the looks to blow all my friends socks off
Old May 9, 2013, 08:50 PM

My System Specs

I've never seen the point of two loops. To me it generally looks messy and it doesn't offer any sort of performance.
Old May 10, 2013, 05:24 AM
Hall Of Fame

Ditto what low said. I always ran one loop.
Personally, I always ran 3/8 X 5/8 tube over 1/2 barbs. Even my Iwaki RD-30 pump wouldn't blow the tubes off - not recommended though when using that pump lol
Old May 10, 2013, 08:02 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

i caqn see what yall mean too much tubing could lead to a big messy case. thanks for the advice
Old May 10, 2013, 11:35 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
i caqn see what yall mean too much tubing could lead to a big messy case. thanks for the advice
It's not really just a question of too much tubing, but too many unnecessary parts, time, labor, frustration...

Think about it. You will need 2 reservoirs (or one BIG-ASS reservoir), minimum 2 pumps, 2 rads (You will probably need this anyways, if you really do want Tri-fire), lots of fittings (Compression fittings will run you $7-$20, and that adds up REALLY quick).

Just run one single loop, and all will be good