Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 26, 2013, 07:49 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default H100i Fan Complications... Pull Only Config?

So I'm running an H100i and recently opted to get rid of the stock fans as they're basically crap and fairly noisy. I decided to try the 'Corsair SP120 Quiet Ed.' fans as I've read a lot of good things about them. After waiting several days for them to come in stock at NCIX, I finally got them hooked up last night. Unfortunately, one of them has significantly loud squealing coming from the bearing that's driving me nuts. I realize this is likely just bad luck, but I'm not interested in waiting several days for more to come in stock as I believe I got the last double pack available for a while.

Past all that, I'm now on the hunt for replacement fans and I'll be returning these today. A huge factor for me is volume, but I also don't want them to look like crap either. However, after a lot of searching, I may just end up with a pair of Noctua NF-P12-1300's, as I know they are solid, reliable, quiet fans.

My question is this... can I run 2 Noctua's in a 'pull only' configuration on the rad for an H100i? Or will this not be as effective as a push config? My rad is mounted at the top of a windowed Fractal Define R4, so if I mount the fans on the top, you won't see them, so the horrible Noctua colour scheme won't matter.

Image for reference...
(Excuse the fan wiring. It was left this way while I installed and tested the fans.)

Last edited by Caldezar; April 26, 2013 at 09:29 AM.
Old April 26, 2013, 12:30 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

shouldn't be an issue man... push or pull. One way or another you are evacuating heat out of the case.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old April 26, 2013, 01:03 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

should be fine to run 2 noctuas in pull. I believe linus did this in his test.
Old April 26, 2013, 01:57 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by clshades View Post
shouldn't be an issue man... push or pull. One way or another you are evacuating heat out of the case.
My concern is whether a pull only config will lower the air draw through the rad. Not sure exactly how the physics work on this, but I believe the static pressure would be reduced in a pull config vs push. Unless I'm crazy...?
Old April 26, 2013, 02:38 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

I've been using 2 Gentle Typhoon 1850's on my H100i and really like them. I didn't really get the hype on these fans until I bought some and I prefer them over the two Noctuas that are sitting in a closet now. I have them pushing air through the rad into my 600t case. I have the same MB as you with a 3570K@4.7GHz.

Edit: These fans were noisy on the 600t until I cut out some of the plastic support brackets on the top mesh piece. After I did this I can not hear them over the front 200mm fan.
Old April 27, 2013, 10:12 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I went with Noctua NF F12's mounted on top, drawing in fresh air and pushing it through the radiator into the Case. I'm going with positive pressure in the case, forcing out warm air through vents as well as a rear 120mm Noctua.
Personally I wouldnt feel right arranging the fans in a pull config only, as you pointed out, dont think the air flow for the radiator would be all that grand.

btw...although the color scheme in the Noctua's may not be appealing, there silent and effective.
Old April 28, 2013, 01:21 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

@rjbarker:
what dust filter did you use on the top of the case or the the case came w/one?
Old April 28, 2013, 09:25 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

There's just a fine mesh aluminum screen on top, but I think I'm going to put a piece if Nylon (wife's) over the screen.
Old April 28, 2013, 09:52 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
btw...although the color scheme in the Noctua's may not be appealing, there silent and effective.

seen allot of guys strip and paint them up, black always works ;)
Old April 28, 2013, 03:50 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasrott View Post
seen allot of guys strip and paint them up, black always works ;)
Aesthetics is "meh" for me, took all the fancy "bling" out of my case a few yrs ago ;) As long as I can OC and keep temps as low as possible with killer performance is my goal ;) I could have thrown my black with blue LED Yate n Loon Fans up there, but there not the performance of the Noctua's.

About all Ill do now paint the Mobo tray black before I pop in a RIVE !!!