Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 8, 2013, 12:27 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default thread tape yes or no?

i didnt use it in my last build which is just my GPU N CPU in a single loop i didn't have any leaks but in the guide here it says to use it. im just curious. im usuing compression fittings when i redo my loop for cleaning i used barbs last time with zip ties

Enzotech G1/4" Thread 1/4" ID x 3/8" OD Compression Fitting - Nickel Plate (Metallic Silver) (CFS-ID1/4-OD3/8) - FrozenCPU.com
Old April 8, 2013, 01:06 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

In a word, no. Standard watercooling fittings seal via an o-ring, so thread tape is not necessary. However, if you really want to use it as a precaution in case of an o-ring failure then by all means, go ahead. I've seen many build logs where guys use it with no issues. Just use very few TIGHT wraps so that your fittings can still fully seat the o-ring against the block/reservoir/whatever and no tape gets between the o-ring and mating surface. Also, maybe it's obvious and doesn't need to be said, don't leave a "tail" hanging off the fitting and get bits of tape floating around your loop.

I've been watercooling for a very long time and have never used thread tape and the only leak I've ever had was from an acrylic reservoir that cracked. I personally feel that the risk of getting tape caught under the o-ring or using excessive tape so that the o-ring doesn't seat is greater than the risk of a stationary o-ring failing.
Server - i5 3450, Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe, 4GB DDR3, LSI MegaRAID 9240-8I, OCZ Vertex 4 120GB, 2x SG Barracuda 3TB(RAID1), 2x WD green 2TB(RAID1), Fractal Design Array R2, WHS 2011

Last edited by dustin1706; April 8, 2013 at 01:12 AM.
Old April 8, 2013, 01:50 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

well thanks for the informed reply i wont use it i feel better an o-ring fail than tape in my loops thanks for the advice much appreciated
Old April 8, 2013, 05:37 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

There really isn't enough thread to warrant using t-tape infact i would suggest using it is worse than not using it. Generally speaking comression type fittings don't require dope or tape. Like the other fella stated the seal comes from the fitting married with the flat surface of the cpu/gpu block, rad, resivior, etc. If you had a fitting with a 1/4 in or more of thread and no o-ring then I'd suggest using it.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.