Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 24, 2013, 12:01 PM
Top Prospect

Default Need some recommendations for parts

Hey everyone. I have picked out quite a few components, but I need some recommendations for the rest.

I have this so far:

CPU Block: XSPC Raystorm

Reservoir: Bitspower Water Tank Z-Multi 400 Inline Reservoir

Fittings: Bitspower Ultimate ^ 1/4 3/8" ID x 5/8" OD Carbon Black

Tubing: PrimoChill PrimoFlex Advanced LRT Tubing 3/8" ID x 5/8" OD

Coolant: Mayhem's Pastel Blue Coolant - Blue Berry

Thermal Paste: IC Diamond

---

So I believe I need a GPU block, radiators, a pump, and a pump top.

Before I start, where do we get the LEDs for the Raystorm? Buy em separately?

I guess EKWB is the only ones with the liquid showing, does that black stuff (the rubber? inside) and the screws show? - EK GeForce 680 GTX+ VGA Liquid Cooling Block - Nickel CSQ (EK-FC680 GTX+ - Nickel CSQ) - FrozenCPU.com

Does anyone have the blocks for the 670 and 680 with the liquid showing and clear pictures of em?

I ask because in the Murderbox series these look absolutely gorgeous: MDPC 042 | murderbox MKII P1.01

What block does that system use..? Custom perhaps?

For the pump and pump top, I'm thinking a Swiftech MCP655 with the variable speed and whatnot. Looks like this pump top is compatible with it? - EK D5 X-Top Acetal Pump Top CSQ - Laing D5 & Swiftech MCP-650/655 (EK-D5 X-TOP CSQ - Acetal) - FrozenCPU.com

What does a pump top do? I don't want an ugly looking pump and that by far is the nicest looking pump top.

As for radiators, I need a 3x120 and a 2x140, the triple will be on top, dual in front. I want the radiators hidden out of sight as much as possible, they should be behind the metal, not bulging out.

I'll be using an NZXT Phantom 630 case.

Looks like these are some good raditors, any suggestions?

XSPC EX360 Triple 120mm Low Profile Split Fin Radiator - FrozenCPU.com

XSPC EX280 Dual 140mm Low Profile Split Fin Radiator - FrozenCPU.com

Any other ideas, things you guys would add?
Old March 24, 2013, 01:19 PM
Manufacturer Rep

Holy crap... that's a lot of text.... but I'll address as much as I can.

Throw the IC Diamond away, grab some Prolimitech PK1 Nano TIM.
Keep in mind that MAyhem's dyes (and any dye for that matter) are really just for show builds. The dyes break down and gunk stuff up. Don't care what anyone says, it does. So, unless you plan on pulling apart and cleaning your loop every 30 days, go for distilled water and a kill coil.

EK's CSQ series will have circles all over them. They won't be see-through like on the MKII build.
XSPC, EK, Alphacool, Aquacomputer all make fantastic radiators. Pick one that will suit your build needs. I do know the latest EK rads come with black nickel stop fittings, and a drain port at the front of them.

Yes, that pump top will fit on the MCP655 pump. It's a good pump, too. Very sturdy, pushes a good amount of fluid. Pump tops do virtually nothing except perhaps add a couple of ports and make the pump look nice.

As for LED's for the raystorm, they come with the Raystorm block itself. You can always switch out the colors by getting standard molex 3mm LEDs. FCPU should carry them in a wide array of colors, and I believe they are XSPC brand.
Old March 24, 2013, 01:32 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by XNine View Post
Holy crap... that's a lot of text.... but I'll address as much as I can.

Throw the IC Diamond away, grab some Prolimitech PK1 Nano TIM.
Keep in mind that MAyhem's dyes (and any dye for that matter) are really just for show builds. The dyes break down and gunk stuff up. Don't care what anyone says, it does. So, unless you plan on pulling apart and cleaning your loop every 30 days, go for distilled water and a kill coil.

EK's CSQ series will have circles all over them. They won't be see-through like on the MKII build.
XSPC, EK, Alphacool, Aquacomputer all make fantastic radiators. Pick one that will suit your build needs. I do know the latest EK rads come with black nickel stop fittings, and a drain port at the front of them.

Yes, that pump top will fit on the MCP655 pump. It's a good pump, too. Very sturdy, pushes a good amount of fluid. Pump tops do virtually nothing except perhaps add a couple of ports and make the pump look nice.

As for LED's for the raystorm, they come with the Raystorm block itself. You can always switch out the colors by getting standard molex 3mm LEDs. FCPU should carry them in a wide array of colors, and I believe they are XSPC brand.
What's the Prolimatech gonna give me over the IC Diamond?

It's Mayhem's Coolant, not dye. There's no dye, and I don't care bout gunk because anyone who WC should clean every year or 1.5 year anyway, don't get why people make a big deal about gunk for

The coolant does not gunk like the dye.

In the pictures it shows the liquid showing through?

I really like this pump top and the design on it is nice since it's black.

Thank you for your answers XNine, I love NZXT a ton and I would appreciate it if you took a personal look at my mod project I am working towards, I entered the 630 Mod Contest and I am hoping and praying I win one of them! My NZXT Lexa S and NZXT Phantom have served me very well.

http://goo.gl/bvDAs - Hydra PC Build List
Old March 24, 2013, 01:40 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Coolant does gunk up and and if you think you will get 1.5 yrs out of it with out maintaining it you need to put your crack pipe down but if you are doing it strictly for a Mod competition then by all means but for a day to day running system distilled water is your best bet.

as for tops there really is no difference in performance they are all about equal Skinnys labs has the stats on it and the EX Rads are very good and some do have multiple ports...
Old March 24, 2013, 01:42 PM
Top Prospect

Well peeps in the Mayhems forums are saying they're running the Pastel coolant for a long time no problem.

Maybe you guys are thinking of his Aurora coolant, those are only for a few days, but the Pastel lasts, it's a mixture of Ice Dragon and Mayhem's own stuff. It has biocide and anti corrosion inhibitors in it.
Old March 24, 2013, 06:29 PM
MVP

My System Specs

as everyone is saying distilled water and biocide for bac and some anti corrosion is all ya need, get some uv tubing and lights if you want some bling.
Old March 24, 2013, 06:31 PM
Top Prospect

Why's everyone against colored tubing, I don't want shtty looking colored tubing, and I don't want UV. There's nothing wrong with Mayhem's Coolant, it's the Pastel which lasts, not the Aurora or the dyes.
Old March 24, 2013, 06:45 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Is not the coloured tubbing people are against is the coloring to the water we don't like as it usually gums shit up ie: blocks, pump part, ect. Less things added to the distilled water the better in my opinion.

You seem intent on getting the mentioned setup and are asking for advice, were telling you what we think. Now have never used the stuff your mentioning so take that to heart, most dyes add problems down the road and as u see most say not to do it... Give it a shot and prove us wrong maybe am too old school compared to what is available nowadays...
Old March 24, 2013, 06:50 PM
Top Prospect

Im not saying you're wrong, Im not asking for recommendations on the coolant, Im asking for recommendations on the hardware.

I know it will gunk more than just distilled water, Im fine with cleaning every 6 months or however often it gunks up. I just want the aesthetics, Im not the only person and the coolant exists for a reason after all.

I need recommendations on the other stuff.
Old March 24, 2013, 07:00 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I run the raystorm custom system and have had no problems at all. Have a couple xspc rads a triple and double in my system and like both, they es and the performance series rads. Using the 655 pump and xspc tank for a res. attached to my pump.