Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Water Cooling (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/water-cooling/)
-   -   What kind of tubing and fittings are compatible with the XSPC Raystorm? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/water-cooling/60260-what-kind-tubing-fittings-compatible-xspc-raystorm.html)

Reaper2794 March 18, 2013 10:59 AM

What kind of tubing and fittings are compatible with the XSPC Raystorm?

Hello all. I will be getting Bitspower Carbon Black fittings. The XSPC Raystorm uses "1/2 x 3/4" fittings, I'm assuming that's 1/2 ID and 3/4 OD?

Does that mean I can ONLY use 1/2 ID 3/4 OD tubing and fittings..?

XSPC RayStorm High Performance Acetal CPU Liquid Cooling Block - Intel (Sockets LGA 1155 / 1156 / 1366 / 2011) - FrozenCPU.com

Bitspower ? Future Design Unique

Also, what do the O rings accomplish, and will they show..?

SugarJ March 18, 2013 11:13 AM

Actually, what it says is that the block is compatible with 1/2x3/4 compression fittings. It means the holes are far enough apart that you can screw in 2 of those big fittings without having to use an elbow. It can be used with ANY G1/4" fitting size. And G1/4 is the standard that all fitting makers use.

The o-rings make the seal between the block and the fitting. It's what makes it watertight. I've never been able to see them on any of my fittings once they are tight.

Keltron 3030 March 18, 2013 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SugarJ (Post 697240)
Actually, what it says is that the block is compatible with 1/2x3/4 compression fittings. It means the holes are far enough apart that you can screw in 2 of those big fittings without having to use an elbow. It can be used with ANY G1/4" fitting size. And G1/4 is the standard that all fitting makers use.

The o-rings make the seal between the block and the fitting. It's what makes it watertight. I've never been able to see them on any of my fittings once they are tight.

Correct, and trust me when I say that knowing this information beforehand is a godsend.

Over the summer, I changed all my fittings to compression, and I found out AFTER I bought everything that my GPU block does not play well with straight compression fittings :doh::blarg: Luckily I had some 45's and 90's bought as well to compensate for the problem, but if I had of known this beforehand, I would of re-planned my tube route.

Reaper2794 March 18, 2013 11:41 AM

So what does 1/2x3/4 mean exactly? Your post is confusing me.

What's the most common ID and OD? I want really high quality clear tubing since I'll be using Mayhem's Blue Berry Pastel, need it to show perfectly.

SugarJ March 18, 2013 12:25 PM

1/2x3/4 refers to 1/2" ID x 3/4" OD. ID is inside diameter, OD is outside diameter.

As for what's the most common? Probably 3/8"ID. It's been proven that there's almost no difference in cooling capacity in most loops between 3/8" and 1/2" ID tubing, so it's simply a matter of which you think looks better. I like the big tubing myself.

LegendMask March 18, 2013 01:03 PM

I asked Daz few days ago the same question, and his response was

Quote:

Tube and fitting 3/8-5/8 size.

You need two extra fitting per gpu block. Tube you may or may be not need extra.

Daz

After-hours Customer Support

Sent from iPad (text mode only)

mojojj March 18, 2013 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper2794 (Post 697248)
...I want really high quality clear tubing since I'll be using Mayhem's Blue Berry Pastel, need it to show perfectly.

I would suggest you start off with distilled water first. Drain it and switch to the good stuff once you confirm that everything is working exactly as you want. You don't wanna go wasting the pre-mixed fluid :biggrin:

Reaper2794 March 18, 2013 06:24 PM

Yeah I'll clean it with water, try with distilled then get the Blue Berry Pastel.

Is the Primochill Advanced really that good? What makes it good?

Reaper2794 March 19, 2013 07:37 AM

So if any G 1/4 thread fits, what's the 1/2 x 3/4 for?

Keltron 3030 March 19, 2013 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper2794 (Post 697422)
So if any G 1/4 thread fits, what's the 1/2 x 3/4 for?

Compression fittings are bigger than normal barbed fittings, and are specially made for different sized tubing. 1/2 x 3/4 is the biggest sized tubing available. This means it can accommodate compression fittings for that tubing size without the two fittings interfering with one another.