Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 17, 2013, 06:29 PM
Allstar

Default H90 vs D14

For my mitx system, between the two mentioned coolers with a single ULN NF-A14, which one will be do better tempwise? I'm assuming the same fan will produce the same amount of noise on either cooler.

yes, I'm aware this will give me disastrous temps, but I honestly don't hit very high clocks in my day to day usage and I really don't care about temps below 80. Also, this is not how I plan on having the fans setup for 'overclocking runs'.

keep in mind this fan is the only airflow in the case (node 304) (besides a single NF-a9 in the front) (also note that I reversed the airflow in the case lol)

NOTE:

I currently plan on having my fan attached to the case and having it blow on the face of the D14 (normal), but what if I rotate the cooler 90 degrees so its aiming its airflow between the towers? will that help the gimped static pressure performance of the A14?

EDIT:

one fan for the cooler only, so there will NOT be a middle fan in D14

Last edited by Generic User #2; March 17, 2013 at 06:51 PM.
Old March 17, 2013, 07:33 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Crappy internal airflow...check. Low speed fan...check. Future pain...check..... Yup, save yourself some time and just get a friend to kick you in the nads...repeatedly for a couple days. It will hurt less in the long run.

Seriously though, it depends on the chip. I use the H90 w/ that fan on a 3570K. I let the mobo's 'FanExpert2' figure out the fan profile and keep the CPU cool. It works very good without much noise (ie no need for the UNLA). Would I trust it with a 8350 chip in YOUR config...nope. But I think the H90 would stand the best chance of working. But IDK...it all depends on the chip. If at possible have the 140mm act as the exhaust not intake...so the heat goes outside the case....and doesnt cook the other parts of the rig.

YMMV. :)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old March 17, 2013, 08:17 PM
Allstar

oh, forgot to mention 2600K. I would be terrified of doing this on Ivy bridge :/

currently have the D14 with ULN A15(push - it's technically on the case slot, but it's physically pressed against the D14) and ULN F12(middle). It hit 80 celsius at 4.4Ghz with 1.336v after 15-20 minutes running prime. fans running at 100% of course. Was having a little bit of trouble with setting voltage (auto voltage is sooo bad) so I gave up until I find some tweezers to adjust my fans.

normal day-to-day, I get about 4-10% of 4.4Ghz cpu usage and temps hover at 35 while web browsing, wildly swinging from 42-47 watching vids.

based on my room, with a sg07, 13 noctua decibels is too loud and 10 noctua decibels are tolerable. Not sure how well this case holds in noise relative to the sg07 because I 'setup' the hardware for overclocking rather than it's more permanent silence-first setup.

all in all, I THINK staying between 50-70 for my regular tasks should be doable with h90 with the ULN A14. I'd even be willing to undervolt and keep stock speeds (I've never seen my CPU hit even 20% usage outside of benchmarks and spikes occasionally during games).

EDIT:

I'm honestly not sure how to read ASUS fanxpert readings. It says that the motherboard is 40-50, but what is that sensor measuring exactly?

Last edited by Generic User #2; March 17, 2013 at 08:26 PM.
Old March 18, 2013, 12:51 AM
Top Prospect

The sensor that fanexpert uses to adjust the speeds? Isn't it the CPU temp?

RFD Trader Feedback
My Heatware
Old March 18, 2013, 12:54 AM
Allstar

two sensors, one says 'motherboard' or something rather. the other is 'cpu', but it's always 10 degrees less than the other temp monitor programs. I'm told this is because it's monitoring the socket temp and not the actual CPU temp.