Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 15, 2013, 10:09 AM
Allstar

Question Upside down rad

I'm sure it's not a problem but just wanted to make sure. The reservoir ( xspc single bay ) is located where the CD peripherals go and the rad is in the lower chamber below. Now to properly drain the unit it's best to get to the lowest level.

So if I place the rad upside down with the barbs at the bottom, I can place a simple valve and drain at the bottom.

The rad is the XSPC think pr dual.

CHEERS
Old March 15, 2013, 10:28 AM
F@H

My System Specs

You'll tend to trap air in the top rad tank when you do that, so you'll have to tip your machine to work the air out. No big deal, just be aware of it.
Old March 15, 2013, 10:43 AM
Allstar

Thermtake had a nice little drain in the bottom of there's . But the copper bottom is too thin to add one . Trying to avoid tipping the PC but its worse with the barbs up top for proper draining. Oh well ... Always a compromise :)

CHEERS
Old March 15, 2013, 11:45 AM
F@H

My System Specs

If your loop is sealed (all fittings tight, and reservoir plugs in), tipping it is not a concern as long as the pump doesn't go upside down while running. I've picked my PC's up, turned them 90 or 180 degrees and shook them while running to work air bubbles out of blocks and rads. It gets a bit tough with a full tower system that weighs 50-60 pounds though.
Old March 15, 2013, 12:27 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
If your loop is sealed (all fittings tight, and reservoir plugs in), tipping it is not a concern as long as the pump doesn't go upside down while running. I've picked my PC's up, turned them 90 or 180 degrees and shook them while running to work air bubbles out of blocks and rads. It gets a bit tough with a full tower system that weighs 50-60 pounds though.
Haha, no thanks :)

CHEERS
Old March 15, 2013, 12:41 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

No kidding. My Cosmos II was a huge pain in the ass to get done.
Code:
<martin_metal_88> I think I am gonna sell my server
<firebane> i will offer pereniums mom
<firebane> slightly used
<Keltron> slightly is an understatement
<LPfan4ever> Who're you kidding...slightly?
<martin_metal_88> peri's mom, slightly used? lol...

Old March 15, 2013, 01:51 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

It's the Rock'nRoll part of watercooling you've got to love. I had my Blue Dragon build rock'n form one side to the other side then a little back and a little forward. A few head boobs for bubbles and do it again.
Old March 15, 2013, 03:08 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
You'll tend to trap air in the top rad tank when you do that, so you'll have to tip your machine to work the air out. No big deal, just be aware of it.
+1 if handy make a bleed vent on top to burp the rad
Old March 15, 2013, 07:38 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

While it's nice to be able to put a port at the lowest possible point to drain the loop you almost never get all the water out of the loop without tipping and turning and bobbing. If it's a major concern for you add a couple quick disconnects on the inlet and outlet of the rad. Makes it easy to remove to blow out with very little leakage. Then you can find another low point to drain off the cpu, vid, pump and most of the resi.

I put my drain port on the second video card and every time I drain it theres always water somewhere in the loop. Better to point that rad upwards or getting all the air out is a huge pain the ass.... basic plumbing man. The last thing you want is a vapour lock when your not around.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.

Last edited by clshades; March 15, 2013 at 07:44 PM.
Old March 15, 2013, 07:44 PM
Allstar

Yeah, I'm leaving it right side up. Drilled a 1/8" whole and glued in a brass bolt with J-B Quick weld compound. Then thread in a screw with an O ring and some Loctite..then I'll test it :). This is the lowest point so I will have 90 % of the water drained from there. My XSPC reservoir is the next item that needs a proper drain but that will be much easier since it's thick Lexan by the looks of it.

That's 2 of 10 problem solved. :)

CHEERS