Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Water Cooling (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/water-cooling/)
-   -   why oh why do they use 3/8" barbs on the Maximus V (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/water-cooling/60111-why-oh-why-do-they-use-3-8-barbs-maximus-v.html)

Mark March 10, 2013 06:43 PM

why oh why do they use 3/8" barbs on the Maximus V

Decided to go water for nostalgia and have vested $$ on 1/2 from previous builds. Now this Asus Max V Formula use 3/8" barbs that are not even removable - go figure. I'm not going to drill, tap a new barb since this will kill the warranty so I have only two options, use a piece of 3/8" tubing then a 1/2" over it for a fit or an adapter.

Has anyone heard of a 3/8" barb to 1/2" adapter ?

Bloodystumps March 10, 2013 06:57 PM

that sucks..... you think they would have made them G1/4 .

Dazmode does have reducers

sswilson March 10, 2013 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark (Post 695602)
Decided to go water for nostalgia and have vested $$ on 1/2 from previous builds. Now this Asus Max V Formula use 3/8" barbs that are not even removable - go figure. I'm not going to drill, tap a new barb since this will kill the warranty so I have only two options, use a piece of 3/8" tubing then a 1/2" over it for a fit or an adapter.

Has anyone heard of a 3/8" barb to 1/2" adapter ?

How are you going to setup your loop? For just the physical connection (not completely sure what effect restricting only a portion of the loop to 3/8 tubing will have) all you'll need is two more 3/8' barbs for whatever components are upstream/downstream from the chipset block.

Another solution would be a single pump / dual loop 5 1/4 bay res like the primochill I have on my Lvl10 GT. You'd still need a couple of 3/8" barbs for the chipset loop, but the rest of the loop could then run off of your 1/2" setup.

yycraven March 10, 2013 07:35 PM

PLASTIC BARBED FITTINGS

go to your local place hardware store they should have some.

botat29 March 10, 2013 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yycraven (Post 695614)
PLASTIC BARBED FITTINGS

go to your local place hardware store they should have some.

No No , get the metal one from Daz, those plastics one are to restrictive

turtletrax March 10, 2013 08:55 PM

Been playing with my MVF and have seen little reason to use them. It pull so little the VRM doesnt seem to heat up. I just left the plugs on them and left it aircooled. One thing you might consider is using branches instead of going direct. I am sure it doesnt take much flow to keep something like that cool.

Astaroth March 11, 2013 04:19 PM

I would just run a second loop with a dinky alphacool DC-LT res combo and hook a 120mm rad up to it. Pricier solution, but you avoid mismatched tubing.

mchutch March 12, 2013 08:42 AM

Totally agree with sswilson, having some 3/8 and some 1/2 in the same loop isn't a big deal.

Dazmode has the 3/8" to 1/2" tubing adapter so you can get off the 3/8 right away.

I'd rather keep my warranty.

Mark March 13, 2013 09:38 AM

I'll just get a piece of 3/8" tubing and jam it in.

Bungwirez March 13, 2013 09:51 AM

#Jam-on-gunna-sockit-to-me :bananafunky: