Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Water Cooling (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/water-cooling/)
-   -   Fan/pump control dilemma (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/water-cooling/60071-fan-pump-control-dilemma.html)

mattlef March 7, 2013 02:00 PM

Fan/pump control dilemma

Hey guys,

I have this little dilemma im trying to work out in my head.
I'm looking for a cheap alternative to an aquero.
Basically i want to control my fans and monitor my pump's tach.
The Fan portion i want to be able to control the rpm and voltage based on temperature, on a user defined curve. so basically as load increased, so does the RPM requirements, insuring that at all time the system is silent, while maintaining cooling efficiency.

do you guys know of anything that can help me... or am i stuck with the classic fan controller?

ZZLEE March 7, 2013 04:40 PM

My Apogee Drive II has a PWM line and a Molex power Line. I will run full speed with just the molex and Pwm controlled by CPU fan Header.

Its a standard PWM pump so you can use it with different housing if you want.

EDIT : This in a fancy housing with CPU block. DazMode STORM DDC 3.2 PWM 18W Pump

lowfat March 7, 2013 06:00 PM

My vote would go for PWM controlled pumps and fans.

mattlef March 7, 2013 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZZLEE (Post 695060)
My Apogee Drive II has a PWM line and a Molex power Line. I will run full speed with just the molex and Pwm controlled by CPU fan Header.

Its a standard PWM pump so you can use it with different housing if you want.

EDIT : This in a fancy housing with CPU block. DazMode STORM DDC 3.2 PWM 18W Pump

Quote:

Originally Posted by lowfat (Post 695073)
My vote would go for PWM controlled pumps and fans.

So you guys would recommend just running it off the cpu header, or is there a fan controller/ Aquero like part that i can get that would allow me to connect multiple?

---Edit---
the more i think of it, the less likely i think it it'll work like that.
I might need to see if there is some sort of internal usb fan controller. I know Koolance has one, but i dont think it has pwm

lowfat March 7, 2013 07:29 PM

Yup. Motherboard headers. Then use Speedfan to control the speed of the pumps and fans. You can setup temperature curves for CPU, GPU, HDD, etc. I've never seen the point of buying an expensive fan controller when PWM + Speedfan can just as well of a job. Actually better since slowing devices w/ PWM uses less power.

KaptCrunch March 8, 2013 12:11 AM

1 Attachment(s)
never hook a pump directly to cpu fan header for most are only 1 amp, it will kill fan controlier
just use the rpm sense connection for pump motor start up excedes MB fan header

lowfat March 8, 2013 07:55 AM

You hook the PWM header to the motherboard. The pump still gets it power from seperate 12V connector. Speedfan is still able to control the pump.

Capt Proton March 24, 2013 11:08 AM

Lots of fan controllers out there for the fans. You say all you want to do is monitor the pump, so tach line to the right pin on a fan controller will tell you RPM.

Shadowmeph March 24, 2013 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lowfat (Post 695181)
You hook the PWM header to the motherboard. The pump still gets it power from seperate 12V connector. Speedfan is still able to control the pump.

I have never been able to get Speedfan to control anything but it works great,for me, in checking \monitoring my temperatures lol.
don't get me worng it probably works grat but it seems a little complicated for me to understand how to use it.