Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Water Cooling (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/water-cooling/)
-   -   3 rads how many pumps (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/water-cooling/60008-3-rads-how-many-pumps.html)

Jaydu March 4, 2013 10:37 AM

3 rads how many pumps

looking in buy a d5 with a top curious would you buy two or would one be sufficient flow or would two run cooler

Keltron 3030 March 4, 2013 11:23 AM

What else is in the loop, if you don't mind me asking?

lowfat March 4, 2013 01:01 PM

Radiators don't have much of a pressure drop compared to water blocks. So if you were only using a single waterblock you would likely be fine w/ just a single pump.

Jaydu March 4, 2013 02:20 PM

ram waterblock, cpu waterblock, waiting for work to start up for a sli or tri sli setup. and if i can a motherboard block.

Fudd Rucker March 4, 2013 04:22 PM

I ran a sli setp/mb wb and 2 radiators without an issue off a single 655b (thats te one without variable speed) and zero issues. My only issue with the MCP655b was make sure you have proper clamps or compression fittings, as that pump will blow the tubing right off the fitting if it isnt secured properly lol.

Bloodystumps March 4, 2013 04:46 PM

One is suffice for flow but for redundancy a second would be nice, you probably wouldn't see any increase in performance with two pumps....

lootbag March 4, 2013 06:05 PM

I am sort of in the same situation as you.
Currently, I am using a D5 Vario for 2 restrictive rads, CPU block and 2 GPU blocks.
Thinking of adding 2 more rads, a motherboard block and an aquaero block.

A D5 might not even be the right pump your looking for depending on how restrictive your blocks and radiators are.
I was looking at the MCP35X to replace my D5.
I think Bloodystumps is right, you won't see that much of a performance increase with two of the same pumps.

KaptCrunch March 4, 2013 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaydu (Post 694229)
looking in buy a d5 with a top curious would you buy two or would one be sufficient flow or would two run cooler

the second pump will add more heat dump to loop gaving a hit to perforumance

the D5 is strong enough for what you want to do

clshades March 14, 2013 06:19 AM

Like lowfat stated... rads are not that restrictive. They only technically do 2x 90* turns the piping inside the fins is pretty much laminar flow. Blocks on the other hand vary greatly on flow restrictions.

It would be nice if the IPT handbook included these kinds of fittings so guys could calculate total restrictions etc. That won't happen anytime soon though. Perhaps someone in the computer cooling industry will step up and make a handbook so we can correctly calculate and spec pumps speeds based on those numbers.

GPU blocks are basically globe valves imo if you can figure out how restrictive an elbow is an approximate number could be figured out for the blocks. In the end less 90 degree turns are better. I would think with as many blocks and rads as the fella above dual loops might produce lower temps.

Capt Proton March 24, 2013 11:09 AM

1 DCC will do, however, I like 2 for redundancy.