Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 24, 2013, 01:21 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Default Adding a second 7970. Need some advice.

Ok guys, I ordered a second 7970. I'm going to run it on air for a while until I get this stuff figured out and acquire everything I'll need to add it to my existing loop.

This is what my setup looks like right now.

The second 7970 will be going where the sound card is for dual x16 operation, and the sound card will be moved up to either the x1 slot under the top the card or the second x16 slot (which will only run at x8 if used in crossfire).

Anyhow, down to my questions......

1 - Should I run the the water through the video card waterblocks in serial or parallel?

2 - Will I need another rad? My temps are excellent right now. CPU doesn't break 45*C, GPU tops out at 47*C, and mobo hovers around 35*C. I can add a 120 rad at the rear if I have to.

3 - Will my pump be adequate for the added components? I'm running an EK-DCP 4.0 which is capable of pushing 800L/hour.

4 - Are the new EK CSQ blocks any better then the old ones? I'd like to run two of the same blocks mainly for aesthetics, but I can't find one the same as I currently have..... kinda bums me out.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Killswitch; February 27, 2013 at 08:35 PM.
Old February 28, 2013, 04:46 AM
Allstar

In my opinion. It doesn't matter if you run it in series or parallel with a single rad since the entire coolant will equalize to a set temperature/load. I would really be surprised if that one rad could cool off two GPU's and your cpu but I would give it a try and if not, I would prefer a separate loop/pump for the GPU's anyway since the flow resistance can really heat up one pump.

First step, try it out.
Second step add another rad.
Third at a separate pump to rad/separate loop.

CHEERS
Old February 28, 2013, 05:33 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killswitch View Post
Ok guys, I ordered a second 7970. I'm going to run it on air for a while until I get this stuff figured out and acquire everything I'll need to add it to my existing loop.

This is what my setup looks like right now.

The second 7970 will be going where the sound card is for dual x16 operation, and the sound card will be moved up to either the x1 slot under the top the card or the second x16 slot (which will only run at x8 if used in crossfire).

Anyhow, down to my questions......

1 - Should I run the the water through the video card waterblocks in serial or parallel?

2 - Will I need another rad? My temps are excellent right now. CPU doesn't break 45*C, GPU tops out at 47*C, and mobo hovers around 35*C. I can add a 120 rad at the rear if I have to.

3 - Will my pump be adequate for the added components? I'm running an EK-DCP 4.0 which is capable of pushing 800L/hour.

4 - Are the new EK CSQ blocks any better then the old ones? I'd like to run two of the same blocks mainly for aesthetics, but I can't find one the same as I currently have..... kinda bums me out.

Thanks in advance!
How come your rig looks so much more tidy,and uncluttered than mine?
Corsair Air 540 -i7 4930k @ 4.4ghz. Liquid cooled-4x4gb G Skill Trident X DDR3@ 2400mhz- Two EVGA Titans SLI - Xonar Phoebus Sound Card-Dell 3008 30" Monitor-Razer Tiamat Headphones-Butt Kicker Gamer-TrackIR 5
Old February 28, 2013, 05:45 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

I would run in parrallel. That way your not dumping the heat from one into the other. And the flows are usually better through parrallel.
You'll be at the rads limits trying to cool 3 blocks with 3 120 cores.
Yor pump should handle it fine.
The new EK-Blocks look pretty much the same under the cover, but I'm with you on liking the older version better. Daz is out of them but if you ask he may order you in one if EK has any left.
Old February 28, 2013, 06:53 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
In my opinion. It doesn't matter if you run it in series or parallel with a single rad since the entire coolant will equalize to a set temperature/load. I would really be surprised if that one rad could cool off two GPU's and your cpu but I would give it a try and if not, I would prefer a separate loop/pump for the GPU's anyway since the flow resistance can really heat up one pump.

First step, try it out.
Second step add another rad.
Third at a separate pump to rad/separate loop.
Good points. I'll go parallel. BTW, there are two rads in there now. The top 240 and the thick 120 in the bottom. I don't have room for another pump and res so it'll have to stay as one loop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slik View Post
How come your rig looks so much more tidy,and uncluttered than mine?
Yours looks cluttered because the area your hardware is in is smaller, and cable management wasn't as easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooded View Post
I would run in parrallel. That way your not dumping the heat from one into the other. And the flows are usually better through parrallel.
You'll be at the rads limits trying to cool 3 blocks with 3 120 cores.
Yor pump should handle it fine.
The new EK-Blocks look pretty much the same under the cover, but I'm with you on liking the older version better. Daz is out of them but if you ask he may order you in one if EK has any left.
Again, I agree with going parallel. It makes more sense.

I'll email Daz and see what he can do for me.

Thanks guys!!
Old February 28, 2013, 10:00 AM
Allstar

Nice setup...didn't see the other rad :)

CHEERS
Old February 28, 2013, 08:25 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooded View Post
Daz is out of them but if you ask he may order you in one if EK has any left.
Wouldn't you know.... I just sent him a msg via his website, but at the top of the webpage is says....

"ATTENTION: WE ARE CLOSED FROM MAR1 to MAR8
AND CANNOT REPLY TO YOUR MESSAGES ON SPECIFIED DATES.
THANK YOU FOR UNDERSTANDING."

Perfect timing!! Think he'll reply in the next 35 minutes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
Nice setup...didn't see the other rad :)
Thanks Mark!

Edit: 10 minutes and I get a reply. Awesome!!

Last edited by Killswitch; February 28, 2013 at 08:37 PM.
Old March 1, 2013, 10:33 AM
Rookie

parrallel/serial is not a big difference either way. Go with what you prefer.

I would recommend more rad imo. A 240 to replace the 120 in the bottom.
Old March 13, 2013, 05:49 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourthings View Post
parrallel/serial is not a big difference either way. Go with what you prefer.

I would recommend more rad imo. A 240 to replace the 120 in the bottom.
I decided to go parallel with the gpu blocks. Mainly because it will be less restrictive and easier on the pump.

A 240 rad won't fit in the bottom. But that RX120 is a full 1" thicker then a standard 120mm rad. With a push/pull fan config it might be close in performance to a 240 with 2 fans, so I'm thinking about trying it as is and seeing what my temps are like.

Another alternative would be a 200mm rad in the top giving a surface area of 40,000 vs 28,800 with the 240. However the issue then would be to find a good 200mm fan to ensure gaining that extra expected performance....providing it fits.
Old March 13, 2013, 12:18 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I would pay you to build a rig for me, I can see a lot of effort on this beauty.

I guess worse case scenario, external mounted rear 240 rad?