Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 22, 2013, 05:48 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default No bios no nothing after H100i install

Just attached a Corsair H100i to my Crosshair IV Extreme mobo, I turn it on and all the fans work...the lights on the mobo come on...I see lights flashing as if hdd and optical drives are being accessed...but nothing on my eyefinity monitors. Power lights are amber instead of blue on the monitors.

I disconnected two of the monitors and restarted with just the DVI. No change.

I disconnected all my peripherals except mouse and keyboard, sound, network and 3 monitors hooked up. No change.

I notice the light is not coming on for my keyboard.

The light comes on for the Corsair pump. I connected the H100i to my psu with nothing else on the cable. It was a cable with six pins at the psu end...and sata at the other.

Even if there were some sort of hardware issue...I should still be able to get in to my bios. I should at least see the first startup messages from the bios. I i've changed nothing but the heatsink. No other cables have been changed. All cables were put back in the exact position as before.

I don't see how I could have damaged the mobo. All the lights come on as they usually do.

I have not tried disconnecting all my drives except for the system drive...but why would that be an issue anyways...preventing me from seeing the bios.

Any ideas of what is wrong?
Thanks. :)

----------------------------
Edit: i notice two things that may be of significance
1. The H100i has a 3 pin pump rpm wire that they say can connect to any motherboard 3 or 4 pin header. I have connected it to the one at the top names "cpu fan".
2, The power supply instructions have a warning that I don't understand... "The detachable four pin from the 24 pin main connector is not a "P4" or "+12V" connector. Serious damage can be caused if you use it in place of a "P4" or "+12V" connector." The sata power connector I used for the H100i connects to the psu with a 6 pin connector.

Last edited by Jeff1961; February 22, 2013 at 06:37 PM. Reason: add more details
Old February 22, 2013, 05:55 PM
MVP

Did the 8 pin CPU power connector get knocked loose?
Old February 22, 2013, 06:58 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Thanks for your help. I'm not sure where to look for that. I did not build this. However I just checked all power connectors at both ends...all are firmly connected.
Old February 22, 2013, 07:51 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

The 8-pin is on the top left (closer to the northbridge heatsink).

Can you take a pic of the inside of your computer?

Gaming Rig:

-Swiffy MCP35x X2 & 240 Rad, (2) 480 EX XSPC Rad, Heatkiller rev. 3.0, i7 3930k @ 4.7 Ghz, 16 GB G.SKILL F3, Asus Rampage IV Extreme, XFX R9 290 w/ XPSC WB, Crucial M4 128GB & 240 GB Intel 530, (5) 3 TB Toshiba Drive, Corsair AX1200, Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit

HTPC Rig:

-AMD 1100T, Gigabyte UD5, 16 GB G.Skill RAM, Asus 650ti Boost, 500 GB WD Black, (5) 2 TB WD Green, (1) 3 TB Toshiba HD, (1) 2 TB Samsung F4, Fractal Design R3, Antec 650 watt PS, Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old February 22, 2013, 08:03 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

above the CPU to the right there is a 3 pin connector for your CPU fan .... did you connect the RPM wire from the cooler to it ? It should at least boot even if that was not connected

I would triple check the plug connections and also that everything is firmly seated i e ram, GFX card..

Does the GO LED lights all light up after you start the PC ? The GO LED is the row of LEDs beside the 24 pin power connector..... those lights tell you if you have CPU, dram , VGA and hdd the CPU being the very bottom light then ascending from there .
Old February 22, 2013, 08:22 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
The detachable four pin from the 24 pin main connector is not a "P4" or "+12V" connector. Serious damage can be caused if you use it in place of a "P4" or "+12V" connector."
Your motherboard has 24pins ... this is a warning for 20 pin boards (which is an older standard), so you don't try and use the "extra 4 pins" somewhere else.

but I would go with BloodyStumps here... and make sure that your GPU is properly seated in its slot...
Old February 22, 2013, 08:48 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I checked that. It was in tight. I have some pictures uploaded...but they are kind of dark:
IMG_2901 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Old February 22, 2013, 09:17 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodystumps View Post
above the CPU to the right there is a 3 pin connector for your CPU fan .... did you connect the RPM wire from the cooler to it ? It should at least boot even if that was not connected

I would triple check the plug connections and also that everything is firmly seated i e ram, GFX card..

Does the GO LED lights all light up after you start the PC ? The GO LED is the row of LEDs beside the 24 pin power connector..... those lights tell you if you have CPU, dram , VGA and hdd the CPU being the very bottom light then ascending from there .
I did connect the 3 pin...it says cpu fan right there on the mobo, although it is a 4 pin. I'm sure i've got it in correctly. There's a slot on the connector forcing it to go in over the left 3 of that 4 pin.

The GO LED lights...the mobo manual is calling them Q LED's, if that's what you mean. I see two red lights lighting up. The bottom two which are cpu and dram. The dram flashes twice, then the cpu once...then it repeats endlessly until I shut the computer off again.
Does this mean anything specific...or just generally, that I have to look for problems with the cpu and dram? I keep worrying that I tightened the Corsair pump too tight over the cpu. I've reversed (counterclockwise) twice around (720 deg) to loosen it a bit thinking it may help...but there's been no difference.

Last edited by Jeff1961; February 23, 2013 at 07:07 AM.
Old February 22, 2013, 09:38 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Yea you are right it is a 4 pin on the MOBO..

no those lights mean that they are initiating so the CPU and dram should be fine..

Edit: maybe try switching the BIOS

Last edited by Bloodystumps; February 22, 2013 at 09:45 PM.
Old February 23, 2013, 04:01 AM
MVP

3 or 4 pin fan connector, doesn't matter. a 3 pin will work in a 4 pin and no matter what it would not lead to any errors like you are getting now. Fans are irrelevant to your system not booting.

Try removing and reseating your gpu. Might not be the issue but at this point its an easy enough thing to try.

If the leds indicate your cpu and ram are fine then I have no clue what else could be the issue.

Last edited by igot6strings; February 23, 2013 at 05:16 AM.

Tags
crosshair iv extreme , eyefinity , h100i