Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 23, 2013, 04:46 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Shut off the computer kill power to the PSU and pull the battery. Have a coffee, reinstall battery and power up the PSU again. Hit the on button and see if that wakes it up.
Old February 23, 2013, 05:35 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Re-seat everything, cpu memory GPU.. Slight nudge may have caused them to have a bad connection.
Old February 23, 2013, 06:08 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Start over. Remove the H100i, and re-install the stock cooler on the AMD bracket. Test.
Old February 23, 2013, 06:58 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Thanks everyone. I will spend the morning testing various things.
1. remove and reconnect gpu
2. remove and reinstall the H100i

Two suggestions i'm not familar with...i've never removed and installed a cpu, and "pull the battery"...this will change my bios back to the defaults correct? I'm not sure what that will require me to do if it brings back the bios.

Corsair forums have responded with a "may have to loosen or reseat cpu and h100i".

btw...I hand-tightened the pump on to the cpu. However it was awkard getting the first screw to tighten with the pump cables tension pulling it away from the cpu. I may have had too much tension on the upper portion before tightening the lower screw on the pump...which could have nudged the cpu out a bit. Anyways....onward we go...

Last edited by Jeff1961; February 23, 2013 at 07:12 AM.
Old February 23, 2013, 09:12 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
"pull the battery"...this will change my bios back to the defaults correct? I'm not sure what that will require me to do if it brings back the bios.
Correct. It won't "require" you to do anything. But when it boots you may have to enable/disable onbaord sound and enable/disable AHCI as the case may be depending on how your system is set up.

You may want to try re-seating items before resetting the BIOS. That sure sounds like you have knocked the 12v connector loose. The 24pin one. Some of them can be finicky. You made sure it is fully seated and the clip engaged OK? I knocked mine loose and had all voltage LED go orange on me after upgrading my GPU. Scared the crap outta me. But it was as easy as ensuring the supply line was seated properly.
Old February 23, 2013, 11:19 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

The bios is back. Thanks everyone for taking the time to help me.

I first removed the gpu and put it back. This did not help.

I then tried hitting the red button in the lower-right of the board to switch bios...this did nothing.

I then pulled the cmos battery out for 15 minutes and put it back.
Startup was different. The fan noises were slightly different. (there was a pulsing of some fans before, that was now gone) And the red cmos Q LED was off. But the DRAM Q LED was still on.

I then pulled out my 4 ram cards. And...my apologies, when I said before I touched nothing...this was incorrect. I had pulled out all 4 ram cards when removing the old heatsink.
I guess this was it, as the bios was there after reseating the ram.
I noticed when putting the ram in this time, although it snapped nicely at the top, there was about a mm at the bottom of the card that still needed to be shoved in. Perhaps this is what I did wrong when putting them in the first time. Because it feels really snug before pushing it in the final way, and I can see how all 4 would have lined up nicely with me repeating that for all 4 cards.

Ignorance is not bliss...so my lack of experience with the bios will have me going over it with a fine tooth comb before attempting to start the os, but turning AHCI on is probably the only thing I will need to do. (and set the clock...lol)
There may have been some overclocking settings that were present from the guy who built this for me...ram voltages, things like that. I know nothing about this and will not be worrying about. Just happy to have it up and running again. lol

Thanks again everyone.
Old February 23, 2013, 11:31 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I have found on 3 ASUS boards that there new RAM clips are finnicty and need some care.
In windows click on time and set the clock on the net one off the functions off the clock

Right click on time / rc Change date and time / internet time/ change time / sircrineise / Update now

Will set clock on the net
Old February 23, 2013, 11:39 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Awesome! Glad it works now you can get on with the fun!
Old February 23, 2013, 11:41 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Glad to know it was only improperly set ram sticks. No damage here.

Time to learn about your BIOS board, and with the setup you have I would learn about overclocking.

Don't be afraid to ask questions, we've all been in your position sometime in our past.
Old February 23, 2013, 03:02 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff1961 View Post
The bios is back. Thanks everyone for taking the time to help me.

Ignorance is not bliss...so my lack of experience with the bios will have me going over it with a fine tooth comb before attempting to start the os, but turning AHCI on is probably the only thing I will need to do. (and set the clock...lol)
There may have been some overclocking settings that were present from the guy who built this for me...ram voltages, things like that. I know nothing about this and will not be worrying about. Just happy to have it up and running again. lol

Thanks again everyone.
bookmark this your MB get all current drivers and download the MANUAL .......read cover to cover

i bet if you had manaul this post wouldn't happen

Tags
crosshair iv extreme , eyefinity , h100i