Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 18, 2013, 11:26 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigFOIG View Post
Depends on the waterblock I guess. Everytime I've watercooled a GPU, it's turned a 2 slot card into a single slot card. So that means it got thinner. But looking at the waterblock above, that thing looks huge.
Really now? Now this is even more intriguing... I might just get a generic block then :)

So pretty much the only setback with generic blocks is that I'll have to do some manual placements of certain things - IE: that copper plate, and those black heatsinks?
Old April 19, 2013, 05:16 AM
Hall Of Fame

the copper for gpu to rise WB off the PCB and the black for ram, vr's

if handy like DTI with die grinder keep the fan housing and ram heatsink intact just cut out Gpu area for WB to fit ...may have to use a thicker copper spacer

DTI: i'd keep the fullcover and drill hole where R22 touching and make a new heatsink for the vr's there is no water going to them
Attached Images

Old April 19, 2013, 04:16 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaptCrunch View Post
the copper for gpu to rise WB off the PCB and the black for ram, vr's

if handy like DTI with die grinder keep the fan housing and ram heatsink intact just cut out Gpu area for WB to fit ...may have to use a thicker copper spacer

DTI: i'd keep the fullcover and drill hole where R22 touching and make a new heatsink for the vr's there is no water going to them
That might of worked with the XFX card, I exchanged it for the Gigabyte 7970 ghz the Gigabyte has a separate heat sink for the vrs and what the hell does vrs stand for
And there is no way that full block will work with this card, If I have time tonight I will install it although it should be funny what it will look like after.. bring back to those old 9800 pro days heat sinks and fans everywhere
Old April 21, 2013, 02:26 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Did another bonehead move those black heatsinks that I ordered all 24 of them way to big cant believe myself some times get online and start buying the aluminum small one is what I should of ordered, installed the vga block last night played some games temp doesn't go past 40c
Attached Images

Old April 21, 2013, 10:38 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

ah the joys of ordering shit online... yeh i'm out 50 bux on the last order too. I thought the EK backplate would work with my card... nope one hole is off by 2mm.

BAH RAWR RAWR! Glad to see you got your vid under water finally. There goes the most annoying noise a gaming computer makes.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old April 22, 2013, 12:00 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTI View Post
Did another bonehead move those black heatsinks that I ordered all 24 of them way to big cant believe myself some times get online and start buying the aluminum small one is what I should of ordered, installed the vga block last night played some games temp doesn't go past 40c
Oh wow! That doesn't like that difficult at all!

So what are those (pardon my idiocy) black heatsinks for? Doesn't seem that you are using them?
Old April 22, 2013, 03:56 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSchlooper View Post
Oh wow! That doesn't like that difficult at all!

So what are those (pardon my idiocy) black heatsinks for? Doesn't seem that you are using them?
The black heatsinks are to be mounted on the video card memory they have a peel and stick thermal tape
I did the old order now and check later plan so the heatsinks are the wrong size and its not hard at all to install but can be a bit of hassle with the coolant
Old April 22, 2013, 04:39 PM
Hall Of Fame

the VR's are the voltage regulators

you should use heat sinks on your ram chips
Attached Images

Old April 22, 2013, 05:07 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTI View Post
They're easy enough to cut down to size using a dremel tool. Been there, done that, although these days of cool(ish) chipsets, vid cards are really about the only legit use unless a person was doing some form of extreme OC'ing with ultra high voltage suicide runs.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old April 23, 2013, 08:20 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaptCrunch View Post
the VR's are the voltage regulators

you should use heat sinks on your ram chips
That's a good Idea with the copper plate and stick the heatsinks to it

I ordered these from Dazmode I hope they are right Black Performance RAM Heatsink 14x14x10mm
Attached Images