Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 18, 2013, 05:13 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Ya sorry to hear this, bought an xfx 7970 black edition early when they first released, threw an xspc block on it np, but it was a single ended fan, ugly red color cooler on it. Longer the gpu's are out the more revisions they do to them, more chances too not have a block. Not that this helps ya much now.

We used to just run a fan over the card years ago with just a gpu block on it, was no full cover blocks back then. Have fried a card using all the ram and mosfet sinks before, was the mosfets sinks that did it. Others did it np I wasn't so lucky.
Old February 18, 2013, 08:21 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Had the same problem with the Gigabyte 7970 OC. EK site said it would be compatible but still wasn't. Replaced it with an MSI 7970 after inspecting the card at a local parts store. Well tried a HIS card first but that one was faulty. Should have known a card with a custom cooler would have a custom PCB too. Live and learn I guess.
Old February 19, 2013, 10:49 AM
Banned

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTI View Post
Just want to say thanks for the information in what to look for

If I went with just a gpu block do you think its really that necessary to install ram sinks
I definitely would cool the memory with heatsinks at the very least. Look at the stock cooler and the placement of thermal padding and TIM. Anywhere you see either one is a component that needs cooling.

You may be able to get away with whatever block fits the GPU, but there are other parts that will need cooling also. Heatsinks will usually do the trick. If all possible, use copper, not aluminum. Fail to do it properly and you can kiss your card good-bye.

I myself always try to stay with reference design. It sucks that some manufacturers will change from reference with no indication.

If you havnt touched the copper block with the grinder and only the plexi, the block should still work. So if you note this and sell it at a discount, you wont be out so much loot. Otherwise, you got EK paper weight.
Old March 1, 2013, 07:25 PM
Rookie

Man, that is unfortunate. Need to pay close attention to everything.

Usually best to always go pure reference design on GPUs if you are watercooling. There are a few exceptions that get custom blocks made for them. Usually MSI Lightnings or Asus DCU cards.
Old March 1, 2013, 08:54 PM
Allstar

I like that Nvidia maintains standards across there oem platforms.

CHEERS
Old March 5, 2013, 06:33 PM
MVP

My System Specs

You should cool the RAM with heatsinks, but in my opinion you must cool the mosfets/power regulators with heatsinks and aiflow or the card wont last long...
Old March 14, 2013, 08:41 PM
Top Prospect

=(.

I've got a XFX 7970 TDFC version as well. I spent days planning out my build, but didn't really check if it was reference. EK's configurator showed that it was, so I just kept going. Luckily I haven't bought anything yet.

Did you end up getting a universal block? I might have to as well, but kinda don't want to.

RFD Trader Feedback
My Heatware
Old March 15, 2013, 08:11 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I have to ask... does the water flow through to the back where you've grinded? If not just cut it off at the end of the main copper and install it?

Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old March 16, 2013, 06:42 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

You can see how the flow works I thought about that seal it up and cut it off the question is seal it with what
I took back the XFX 7970 ghz got the gigabyte 7970 ghz the cooler on the card is top notch when gaming keeps in that 55 range
on the water block if I could seal it cut out an opening and mount a small fan that would be cool
Attached Images

Old March 16, 2013, 08:22 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I supposed you could always rebuild it but those things are made with a cnc machine accuracy is everything. Probably better to just swap cards heh
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.