Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 27, 2013, 11:19 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Question Koolances New Reservoirs with Pump Mounts

I don't understand?
I'm a Industrial Millwright by trade for 30yrs, and this is something that just isn't done.

Why does the new Koolance - Liquid Cooling System RP-1250 and the RP-401X2, RP-452X2 5" Reservoirs with pump mounting, all mount the pumps upside down?
Have the engineers at Koolance learned to defy gravity?

If someone could shed some light on this concept I will be happy to listen. However something to keep in mind is that the company that everyone has making their pumps is Laing, and they recommend to NEVER install they're pumps upside down.

Last edited by Hooded; January 27, 2013 at 11:21 AM. Reason: Forgot to add links
Old January 27, 2013, 07:44 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I think due to the pressure that builds inside a closed-loop system, it allows the pump to operate in any direction. That's just my guess though.
Old January 27, 2013, 08:42 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

That's probably why those reservoirs take a bit of work to bleed.
Old January 27, 2013, 08:45 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I had the RP-402X2 and with the way my system is plumbed I could not get the thing to bleed without burping fluid allover my floor and kit. Had to use 5-6' of tubing as a filltube off the front ports and would still take days and days to bleed air. I would have to flip my case around on its sides and rock back and forth and use one pump at 8v. Wayyy to hard to bleed with a rad up top horizontal. And that was with the pumps on the side....

I tried to RP-401X1 and was easy as it should be. Maybe a day of running and 4 or 5 fills and my loop almost takes 2 litres.

I think the Laing states the pumps should never be used upside down because they have to assume most people are idiots to reduce RMA issues. With the res being directly attached it should be able to feed the pump and assumes those having the rad would know better than to not have water in them. As long as they are being primed in the intake, and not run bone dry the bearing will last no problem.

One other thing I like about the RP-401X1 over the X2 is the pumps get airflow being on the top compared to being hidden by the 5.25" rails on each side. Seen one guy on XS that modded the Koolance HTS-PMP400 heatsinks to work with the RP-401X1 and looked pretty awesome. I have 4 DDC-2's from 2005 and 2006 that are still going strong with proper cooling, and they were considered "unreliable".
Old January 27, 2013, 08:47 PM
MVP

My System Specs

be interesting to look at her a little closer to see if you could mod it to flip the DDC to a proper orientation.

Tags
koolance , rp-1250 , rp-401x2 , rp-452x2