Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Water Cooling (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/water-cooling/)
-   -   Mac Pro mod water cooling (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/water-cooling/59065-mac-pro-mod-water-cooling.html)

marquee January 10, 2013 07:12 AM

Mac Pro mod water cooling

Hi canucks.

Its been many years since I last modded a case, this one is epic. I am glad to see there is a strong modding and hardware community in Canada.

So couple of months ago I had the chance to pick up a Apple 2006 Mac Pro. Still working with dual xeon 2.66ghz. I picked this case up and really had a hard time deciding if I should mod it because it was still working. Well once the screw drivers came out and 4 hours had gone by there was no going back.:doh:

So far I cut holes for the windows, cut holes for the mother board tray. I am almost finished mounting the mother board tray and its time to start thinking about the cooling.

Water cooling is a must, not sure what hardware will be in this case but for sure one cpu and maybe 2 gpus all water cooled.. With the space I have from the motherboard tray to the front of the case I can put dual 240 rad or extra think single 240 rad. I am thinking dual swiftech MCR220-XP or single Alphacool NexXxoS Monsta 240. what are your thoughts on that?

Next is pump, I still have a working Ehiem 1250. Is it worth upgrading to somthing like a D5 or ddc?

Last question I had is, where can I get aluminum 1"-3/4" corn beads or corner guards in . Like this pic

I will start posting pics of a work log once the rad is ordered and motherboard tray is mounted.

botat29 January 10, 2013 07:49 AM

hello somebody here ?

sswilson January 10, 2013 08:27 AM

Your local hardware store should have aluminum corner stock, but be ready for a bit of sticker shock. :) (Both Kents and Home Depot carry it here in Moncton).

bigFOIG January 10, 2013 03:34 PM

Are there waterblocks for the Mac Pro logic board? Or is that going to be modded to fit?

lowfat January 10, 2013 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigFOIG (Post 683574)
Are there waterblocks for the Mac Pro logic board? Or is that going to be modded to fit?

From the sounds of his post it looks like he is ditching all the stock hardware.

marquee January 10, 2013 07:18 PM

Yeah the hardware in this Mac Pro are 6 years old. They would be no point to keep them. Its funny cause the fans and fan assembly in the case are worth more then the cpu's and ram put together. The future hardware in this build looks like its going to be matx overclock-able motherboard, and either single or dual amd 8xxx. The total thermal cooling I would need is some where between 350-600tdp.

marquee January 17, 2013 06:11 AM

Well the parts have been ordered. I even got anther pump to play around with.

Monsoon Free Center Compression Fitting - 3/8"ID x 5/8"OD - Modders 6 Pack Chrome
Alphacool VPP655 Variable Speed Pump - HF Top Edition
Alphacool NexXxoS UT60 Full Copper Dual 120mm Radiator
XSPC 240mm Radiator Gasket
Reusable Radiator Template
Phobya Balancer 150 Reservoir - Silver Nickel