Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 29, 2012, 09:26 PM
Rookie

Lightbulb Need some advice on some weird idea.

Hello to the community! I am a long time forum lurker here and I now need the community's advice. I have recently purchased some Bitspower compression fitting set including 45 deg and 90 deg double rotary for dirt cheap. The fittings are 3/8 ID 1/2 ID. Now I am setting up a new water cooling loop but I realized that the 3/8 ID 1/2 OD tubes are skinny and doesn't have the looks I want.

Then an idea came to mind, I thought maybe I could use the fittings and the tubes and in addition use another tube, 1/2 ID 3/4 OD, on top of the 3/8 ID 1/2 OD tube that is attached to the fittings. Is this feasible? Will it look beefy, nice and clean? I like the look of a bigger tube.

Basically I am going the cheap route since buying a whole new set of fittings is costlier that another set of tubing. Tell me what you guys think and any other ideas are welcome. Thanks in advance guys!
Old December 30, 2012, 04:56 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Good luck getting that 1/2 x 3/4 over the 3/8 x 1/2. That will be a real trick.
Getting the larger tubes to end nicely at the fittings will be hard too.
Old December 30, 2012, 08:47 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

It will probably be tough to get the tube on and it could possibly leak.
Old December 30, 2012, 10:01 AM
Rookie

The ends on the larger tubing would have a gap and that one I can see being an issue. I currently don't have the larger tube here with me so if anyone can provide an input as to how hard would it be to shove the smaller tube inside the larger one. Would it require alot of force? The gap I can think of something but if the mere shoving of the tube is hard I may just have to forgo. But if it won't be as hard I will go order some tubes and move from there. Thanks again for your inputs hopefully more will provide information.
Old December 30, 2012, 10:36 AM
Hall Of Fame

the issue of keeping smaller fittings is going to hurt flow

also depends on tubing if seals and holds @ 70c

boil a pot of water and soak the big hose and the small hose leave in freezer over night an bring out to mate your hoses
Old December 30, 2012, 04:31 PM
Rookie

That is a great idea KaptCrunch! I am trying to save on cash and the decrease in flow I can live with. I am cooling an i5 3570k and MSI 7970 btw. I just don't want to buy a whole new set of fittings.

"also depends on tubing if seals and holds @ 70c"
-do you mean there have been instances where there were leaks at higher temps? Or is it because the tube simple expanded due to heat?

Thanks for the inputs!
Old December 30, 2012, 04:52 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaraxle316 View Post
That is a great idea KaptCrunch! I am trying to save on cash and the decrease in flow I can live with. I am cooling an i5 3570k and MSI 7970 btw. I just don't want to buy a whole new set of fittings.

"also depends on tubing if seals and holds @ 70c"
-do you mean there have been instances where there were leaks at higher temps? Or is it because the tube simple expanded due to heat?

Thanks for the inputs!
tube expansion due to heat especially if you overclock
Old December 30, 2012, 05:13 PM
Rookie

Now I am really having thoughts about using the 3/8 ID 1/2 OD Bitspower compression fittings. Oh well I might just go give it a try. Thanks everyone for the inputs.
Old January 1, 2013, 03:43 AM
MVP

My System Specs

must say have never tried this with tubing but u could slice the .5/.75 pipe then slide it over your existing pipe with the cut side away from view if u understand what I mean. Basically a wrap...
Old January 1, 2013, 06:41 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasrott View Post
must say have never tried this with tubing but u could slice the .5/.75 pipe then slide it over your existing pipe with the cut side away from view if u understand what I mean. Basically a wrap...
lol... a tube cozy